ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Arch Manning Picks School

Still a Foodie??
Not so much a Foodie. I'm into intermittent fasting. 😜
As far as Flood, I have posted here many times that he really was handed a crap sandwich by Barchi and his ADs. Given no salary, no budget for coordinators or assistants. He has to recruit while the Mike Rice fiasco unfolded into the firing of the AD fiasco to the bigger fiasco that was Julie Hermann as an AD and her hiring process, all while the football program needed to get ready to enter the Big 10. When he was finally given a decent budget (for then) to hire a solid coordinator in Friedgen, Rutgers had a decent inaugural year in the Big 10. Did he have issues? Sure. All coaches do.

The difficult part to forgive was the corners he cut in the ends and the silly stunts he pulled--but let's face it, if the program was a winning program like Penn State, what he did would have been considered a slap on the wrist offense. Flood probably just resigned himself to work in the three ring circus that was Rutgers and Rutgers athletics and hope for the best. He certainly did not get any support from Barchi or his ADs.

As far as Flood, I have posted here many times that he really was handed a crap sandwich by Barchi and his ADs. Given no salary, no budget for coordinators or assistants. He has to recruit while the Mike Rice fiasco unfolded into the firing of the AD fiasco to the bigger fiasco that was Julie Hermann as an AD and her hiring process, all while the football program needed to get ready to enter the Big 10. When he was finally given a decent budget (for then) to hire a solid coordinator in Friedgen, Rutgers had a decent inaugural year in the Big 10. Did he have issues? Sure. All coaches do.

The difficult part to forgive was the corners he cut in the ends and the silly stunts he pulled--but let's face it, if the program was a winning program like Penn State, what he did would have been considered a slap on the wrist offense. Flood probably just resigned himself to work in the three ring circus that was Rutgers and Rutgers athletics and hope for the best. He certainly did not get any support from Barchi or his ADs.
You can't ignore all the things he did like NCAA infractions because he was stupid. His actions lead to an extention of Ash's contract. Can't be a RU HOF guy when the school suspended him 3 games

You can't ignore all the things he did like NCAA infractions because he was stupid. His actions lead to an extention of Ash's contract. Can't be a RU HOF guy when the school suspended him 3 games
I don't want to get into a big argument on this, but here's my view.
The NCAA infractions were small potatoes. They really would have been laughed off anywhere else, but the NJ media sensationalized the stuff, and a vocal part of the fanbase wanted Flood gone in 2013, and they were happy to fan the flames. With that said, I agree that they can't be ignored. I like people who follow and play by the rules. And also, the way Flood about things were downright stupid and comical, so in that respect, he got what he deserved. The program was already swirling around the toilet--but that was partly on him, but largely on Barchi and the BOG cheaping out and their PC hire of Julie Hermann.

To say his actions led to an extension of Ash's contract is technically correct, but Rutgers did not have to agree to that. Rutgers should have known that the penalties for Flood's mistakes would be very light (and they were), but as with many things when Rutgers got who they thought was the savior of the program, they caved and accepted that provision--so that is on Rutgers for agreeing to that and binding themselves to a longer contract. Remember that one or two of the BOG members already had Ash handpicked and handed him off to newly hired Hobbs, who was not going to rock the boat.

We can agree to disagree here, but we do agree on a few points.

He will get another HC position in 2 to 3 years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The NCAA infractions were small potatoes. They really would have been laughed off anywhere else, but the NJ media sensationalized the stuff, and a vocal part of the fanbase wanted Flood gone in 2013, and they were happy to fan the flames. With that said, I agree that they can't be ignored. I like people who follow and play by the rules. And also, the way Flood about things were downright stupid and comical, so in that respect, he got what he deserved. The program was already swirling around the toilet--but that was partly on him, but largely on Barchi and the BOG cheaping out and their PC hire of Julie Hermann.

To say his actions led to an extension of Ash's contract is technically correct, but Rutgers did not have to agree to that. Rutgers should have known that the penalties for Flood's mistakes would be very light (and they were), but as with many things when Rutgers got who they thought was the savior of the program, they caved and accepted that provision--so that is on Rutgers for agreeing to that and binding themselves to a longer contract. Remember that one or two of the BOG members already had Ash handpicked and handed him off to newly hired Hobbs, who was not going to rock the boat.

Agree with all that. And he was probably the best game day coach since Frank Burns.

The fact that you have to write a #s length response to defend Flood says it all. All a reach and cheery picking.
Floods actions were laughable unfortunately by all our Big Ten competitors. The fact that he went to Princeton for the meeting shows that he himself knew very well he was breaking an NCAA rule. Didn't care about the ramifications that would be placed on Rutgers. A very selfish action. For that alone it would be a disgrace to put him in the RU HOF. Otherwise you're saying that is OK.

The fact that you have to write a #s length response to defend Flood says it all. All a reach and cheery picking.
Floods actions were laughable unfortunately by all our Big Ten competitors. The fact that he went to Princeton for the meeting shows that he himself knew very well he was breaking an NCAA rule. Didn't care about the ramifications that would be placed on Rutgers. A very selfish action. For that alone it would be a disgrace to put him in the RU HOF. Otherwise you're saying that is OK.
So- his going to Princeton for the meeting was planned and sanctioned by both our AD and the Dean. Who both then threw Flood under the bus when the professor didn't play ball.
It was moves like this that Julie pulled constantly that led to Flood just cashing a paycheck as long as he could and really not give a damn.
Myself- what really disappointed me about Flood is that he didn't show the balls to stand up for himself and his basic beliefs.
He never showed such laziness and corner cutting previously or since.
He does not in any way ever deserve to be even considered for a RU HOF. He also deserves to have so much of our fanbase hate his tenor here. But he was far from the problem and the things he did really were such dumb small potatoes...except, for letting the players run the locker-room like a gang.

Reactions: dvb91 and newell138
ADVERTISEMENT