ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Aroldis Chapman From Yanks to Cubs for 4 Players

Good deal. Solid, young prospects in exchange for Chapman. The Yanks aren't going anywhere this season and, if things pan out, they can sign Chapman back as a FA for next year. That would make a good deal into a great deal. And if the Cubs don't win it all this year and lose Chapman to the Yanks or otherwise, it's a big loss for them. Roll the dice.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Reactions: T2Kplus10
"Sources:
#Cubs finalizing deal to acquire Aroldis Chapman from #Yankees for Gleyber Torres, Adam Warren, Billy McKinney and Rashad Crawford....rom the Yankees' standpoint, Torres is the prize of the deal. As for Chapman, he's of course an elite, shutdown closer. The 28-year-old lefty with the career ERA+ of 183 is eligible for free agency this coming offseason, but according to some reports that Cubs have talked to him about an extension pursuant to this trade."

Good deal. We're old and nothing more than a .500 ballclub, no chance at a deep postseason run in the near future. Might as well get younger, and we've got plenty of relief pitching anyway.

I wonder if the Yanks will package some of these picks with some existing minor leaguers to gets another talented young player for the future.

Interesting how Source quoted Source on this story.

BTW - reportedly Cubs are negotiating with Chapman to sign a long term deal as we speak.

This is a good deal for both teams. I like Warren coming back, was a good complimentary piece last year. And this just makes the Cubs scary good. If the Yanks had gotten Schwarber, then this woulda been a great deal. But this seems decent for now. At least they made the deal.

The key to this trade from the Yankees perspective is Gleyber Torres, one of the most highly rated prospects in all of baseball. The other players, including Warren, were pretty much just icing on the cake.

But Gleyber is a shortshop. So, considering how well Didi is playing right now for the Yanks at short, I have to wonder if either Gleyber or Didi will be trade bait in the off season.

The key to this trade from the Yankees perspective is Gleyber Torres, one of the most highly rated prospects in all of baseball. The other players, including Warren, were pretty much just icing on the cake.

But Gleyber is a shortshop. So, considering how well Didi is playing right now for the Yanks at short, I have to wonder if either Gleyber or Didi will be trade bait in the off season.
Players can always move to another position.

Solid deal for the Stankees. Torres is a really really good prospect although young. The rest of the players are eh- I guess Adam warren is the new best pitcher in NY now since the mets pitchers are OBVIOUSLY hot garbage. :joy::joy:We'll see in a couple years if these prospects are any good.

Interesting how Source quoted Source on this story.
BTW - reportedly Cubs are negotiating with Chapman to sign a long term deal as we speak.

I scooped myself.

Over the winter Yanks got Starlin Castro for Adam Warren and Brendan Ryan. Now the trade reverts to Castro for a back up utility infielder.

I think Cubs negotiating with Chapman, immediately, was part of the trade consideration. Yanks tried in June but Chapman made it clear he wanted to be a free agent. As stated earlier, you can always switch positions for young prospects and that has happened many times in many terrific player's careers.

Luis Severino returns from the minors where he was pitching much better than last seen with the Yankees.

I guess Adam warren is the new best pitcher in NY now since the mets pitchers are OBVIOUSLY hot garbage. :joy::joy:

I don't recall anyone claiming that the mets pitchers were "hot garbage". Obviously Degrom, Syndergaard, and Matz are good. And the youngster Colon has been good ever since he came back from his substance-abuse suspension. And Familia is very impressive.
We're just trying to figure out how a team with all of THAT talent has only won two more games this season than a "bad" Yankees team with "no quality starters" and "an awful roster".
BTW, ERAs are generally lower in the National League because pitchers must bat. I never figured out why they are the only league that still does that.

Best reliever in MLB, they will not get equal value back.
The Yanks have two relievers with better ERA's by the way.
Anyway it is not about equal value, it's about the contract
he would demand. I think the Yanks have learned
their lesson with A-roid, Tex, and so on. They got a
lot for a three month rental. Picking him up is the
best thing the Yanks have done for awhile.

Reactions: RUKeystone
Good deal for the Yanks. Torres is a top level prospect.

Chapman was gone the day he came to the Yanks.
He made a deal with MLB that he would drop all
those law suits he had with baseball, if they would
suspended him for 30 days, because if he got
suspended for 40 days or more he would not
become a free agent either this or next hear,
and the Yanks would have him for 2 years. MLB
baseball wanted to get rid of the law suits, and the
Yanks were in a no lose situation, and did well.The
Yanks met him in June and asked him what it
would take to keep him, and obviously they
didn't get a feasible answer.

Reactions: Knightmoves

Don't forget a good prospect in Mateo that plays SS . This is a good deal .

Reactions: IMARUFAN
really? adam warren?

I like Adam Warren as well. Spot starter, if not a 4 or 5, and has been effective out of the bullpen in the past.

Warren will help the Yanks the rest of this season. The other prospects are for down the road.

Good deal for the Yanks IMO.

I just wish they had traded Chapman to the Nationals.
KBee, why is that? Whom were you hoping to bring back from the Nationals that would be more attractive that what you got from the Cubs? He's out of your division either way.

KBee, why is that? Whom were you hoping to bring back from the Nationals that would be more attractive that what you got from the Cubs? He's out of your division either way.

I wasn't looking at the trade like that. I would have preferred the Nationals getting Chapman for the ninth inning vs. the mets in some games later this season.
In case you hadn't noticed, I root for two teams....the Yankees and whoever is playing the mets....since 1962.
And I've had many more good days than bad days.
:cool2::cool2::cool2:

Reactions: NickKnight 1
So in short order the Yankees turned a couple of nothing prospects (who went to cincy for chapman) into a starting 2B (warren originally went to chc for Castro), a top 25 prospect (Torres), a top 100 prospect (McKinney) and a blazing fast lottery ticket (Crawford).

I will take it. Now just need them to get swept by Houston and trade Beltran and anyone else people will take.

Reactions: RUKeystone
I wasn't looking at the trade like that. I would have preferred the Nationals getting Chapman for the ninth inning vs. the mets in some games later this season.
In case you hadn't noticed, I root for two teams....the Yankees and whoever is playing the mets....since 1962.
And I've had many more good days than bad days.
:cool2::cool2::cool2:
Wait what... you rooted against the Mets in Nineteen Freakin' Sixty Two??? The lovable Amazin Mets, losers of 120, managed by Yankee hero Casey Stengel?

This is a good deal for both teams. I like Warren coming back, was a good complimentary piece last year. And this just makes the Cubs scary good. If the Yanks had gotten Schwarber, then this woulda been a great deal. But this seems decent for now. At least they made the deal.

Schwarber is the one guy I didn't want. He got hurt when he was trying to play the outfield, and they don't need a one dementianal 25 year

DiDi's only in his mid 20's. If this kid is as good as advertised I'm sure he could play a number of different positions.

Here are a few players who were Shortstops at 18-19 that did pretty well playing different positions for the Yanks...

Mickey Mantle
Tom Tresh
Bobby Murcer

Oh yeah, later on some guy named ARod.

Wait what... you rooted against the Mets in Nineteen Freakin' Sixty Two??? The lovable Amazin Mets, losers of 120, managed by Yankee hero Casey Stengel?
I am the biggest Yankee fan of all.
But in 1962 like many regional fans, I pulled
for the sorry Mets, it was like adopting a
crippled doggie. Even the next few years,
it was nice to see see Casey, Gill Hodges,
Willie Mays and other National league players .
Even 1969 was good, the Yanks were awfull
but why hate the Miracle Mets. I really started
to dislike them when their fans became really
obnoxious on call in shows,with their Yankee
hating, they are really sick with their jealousy.
Plus all their drug addicts of the late 80's.
The Port Lucy rapes, Cone shaking his penis
at a lady from the bull pen, squirting bleach at
reporters. Their antics plus the Yankee hating
just turn me off. Even today Fat Mike, and Mike
Kay are Yankee fans, but never put down Mets.
and give them equal time. But the announcers
that like the Mets, show hate for the Yanks just
like the call in Met fans.

Oh yeah. I wanted them to lose 130.
Of course I was 12 years old at the time. I didn't appreciate the comedy show that had recently come to town.
And even back then their fans were losers as I recall. In '69 they were unbearable.

i've lost all interest in baseball....but out of curiousity how is it that the yankees were a top team for almost 15+ years and its taken them so long to rebuild again?

Knightfan- Bobby Murcer RIP was my favorite player growing up. However, from what I remember/heard he was (at least relative to others) a half disaster at infield positions before moving to the outfield.

That was another of the Yankees' bad trades. The Yankees traded Murcer, a fan favorite coming off as few great seasons, for Bobby Bonds. Bonds was half a disaster and Murcers career wasn't helped by Candlestick Park before being traded to the Cubs.

I am the biggest Yankee fan of all.
But in 1962 like many regional fans, I pulled
for the sorry Mets, it was like adopting a
crippled doggie. Even the next few years,
it was nice to see see Casey, Gill Hodges,
Willie Mays and other National league players .
Even 1969 was good, the Yanks were awfull
but why hate the Miracle Mets. I really started
to dislike them when their fans became really
obnoxious on call in shows,with their Yankee
hating, they are really sick with their jealousy.
Plus all their drug addicts of the late 80's.
The Port Lucy rapes, Cone shaking his penis
at a lady from the bull pen, squirting bleach at
reporters. Their antics plus the Yankee hating
just turn me off. Even today Fat Mike, and Mike
Kay are Yankee fans, but never put down Mets.
and give them equal time. But the announcers
that like the Mets, show hate for the Yanks just
like the call in Met fans.

Ironic as hell that the big two druggies went on to be Yankee favorites later in their careers...not to mention Cone who did the same...bet you cheered for the ex Mets then.
I have no dog in this fight but pointing out how sports are...Giambi, ARod and Clemons got a few cheers in a Yankee uniform too if I remember correctly.

Reactions: shields
Knightfan- Bobby Murcer RIP was my favorite player growing up. However, from what I remember/heard he was (at least relative to others) a half disaster at infield positions before moving to the outfield.

That was another of the Yankees' bad trades. The Yankees traded Murcer, a fan favorite coming off as few great seasons, for Bobby Bonds. Bonds was half a disaster and Murcers career wasn't helped by Candlestick Park before being traded to the Cubs.
Murcer was one of my favorites also, Hang that Gabe Paul, who made plenty
of great trades, but not that one.

Ironic as hell that the big two druggies went on to be Yankee favorites later in their careers...not to mention Cone who did the same...bet you cheered for the ex Mets then.
I have no dog in this fight but pointing out how sports are...Giambi, ARod and Clemons got a few cheers in a Yankee uniform too if I remember correctly.
Not really, I wasn't happy with any one of them being Yankees, but what can
you do?

i've lost all interest in baseball....but out of curiousity how is it that the yankees were a top team for almost 15+ years and its taken them so long to rebuild again?

A couple of things. First, everyone has money so the big name free agents are not getting to FA till much later if at all. Also you draft last for 15 years and they gave up picks by signing FA and eventually it catches up to you.

ADVERTISEMENT