ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Atlantis Bahamas

RU-Kidding

Heisman Winner
Nov 6, 2001
My family is taking me for a milestone birthday Labor Day weekend.. We are staying at the Cove tower. Any suggestions from those that have visited on what to do, what to avoid and alternative places to eat off-site since Atlantis restaurant prices seem to be slightly exorbitant. No kids, all "adults" age 17 and older...

Last edited:
Have been a number of times but have always ate on grounds so u can't help you there. We've had our son (was 2 last time) with us a few times and you can (or could last time)get into most of the restaurants but you need to go before 6 or 5pm , if I remember correctly.

Enjoy the trip , we have always had a great time.

The Cove has an excellent buffet style restaurant and Bobby Flays restaurant was quite good. Never ate of the premises.

A lot of the places on the grounds are overpriced and not that good.

Virgil's is a good barbecue place (same as Virgil's in the city) and Seafire Grill is the wife's favorite. There is a Carmine's also, if you like that sort of thing

Here is a hint- the kids meals at Virgil's are huge and reasonable- enough for an adult if you do pick up

Be aware that on premises restaurants may not be open every day and make sure you make reservations on the main phone as soon as you get there- they fill up fast

We tend not to go off premises that much because of the feeling we are being worked - for example, every cab charges a different price based on (perceived) add ons

If you need a solid can driver, message me and I'll get you his email

As an aside, I prefer to get a SIM card from Mr sim.. Costs around $100 for 5gb data and it is activated when you get there. Pop it in your unlocked phone and you are good for the trip (you won't get calls to your normal number, but data will be fine)

We went last year. Had a super time.left the island to eat 1 meal a day. There is a ferry which takes 10 min and drops you in downtown Nassau...from there grab a cab to the Fish Fry. There are like 6 very local type places with typical island food...and of course rum drinks and beer...lots of other restaurants in Nassau too...i found the restaurant choices on the property expensive and not really to my liking..

My daughter and her boyfriend were there in July they stayed at The Reef next to The Cove. Their favorite restaurant was was Dune at the One and Only Ocean Club resort which was a short cab ride away. I think a shuttle runs between the resorts as well. It was expensive but they felt they got much better quality than the similarly priced high end restaurants at The Atlantis.

Also, stop and buy bottled water, snacks, etc at a market on your way to the hotel. They charge $8 for a bottle of water at the resort. Pack sunscreen and toiletries too if you check your luggage. A bottle of sunscreen was like $20 in the gift shop.

Last edited:
its an effort to go off premises
There are meal plans that do not include the very top restaurants but there are enormous breakfast buffets. So at least do that part , or 2 meals a day.
A fun place in town, was, Senor Frogs lf still there
then there was a belgian who settled there and opened a very good creperie one or 2 doors off the main st.
Swimming with the dolphins is expensive but you have those videos of the kids forever

Just went, great as usual. I wouldn't work too hard to get off site to save a few bucks, just splurge. Bobby flay is closed, but new restaurant at cove is good. I liked Virgil's, if you're into that kind of thing. Cafe Martinique very good. Did go off site to Lombardi's of Chicago. It was good, but don't know if we saved $. Someone just got shot at fish fry, so we skipped that. I'd also splurge on the dolphins. Oh yeah, definitely have breakfast buffet at Great reef with all the fish.

Poop deck
Fish fry

Both solid options.

If your place has a small kitchenette, take a short cab ride to the supermarket for breakfast and snack items. There is a market about 3 blocks over the bridge into Nassau.

Went two years ago with the family and Dolphin Encounters at the Blue Lagoon was an amazing experience. Pricey but worth watching and interacting with a dolphin and spending a few hours at their beach. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...ers-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html
Also, Bluehole Snorkeling was awesome. First time snorkeling and we went with a guy named Basil who was very nice, funny, and knowledgeable about the Bahamian reef we explored. Small, intimate tour and fairly priced.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...rts-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

The only thing we over go off site for is Dunkin Donuts for breakfast in the AM. It's right across from the marina.

From the last Atlantis thread I think there are a few guys with time shares there.

It's not cheap but best meal I had when there was at the Ocean Club, Dune

I'm not sure if they do this but when we went, we upgraded the room to club level. Was something like $70 per night more but had breakfast, lunch, snacks and a 5-8 happy hour each night in a private club room.

Happy Birthday, you and I share the same weekend. What ever you do make sure that on 2 PM Saturday you are watching RU beat up on Washington. Somewhere, must carry DISH.....[cheers]

Happy Birthday, you and I share the same weekend. What ever you do make sure that on 2 PM Saturday you are watching RU beat up on Washington. Somewhere, must carry DISH.....[cheers]

Thanx for all the responses. Heading down Thursday morning for the weekend!!

Stayed at Cove for a business conference and it was extremely nice and geared toward adults. Nice pool scene.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT