ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Back in NJ!!!!!

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Came back to the US last week for my daughter's wedding in Lexington. Both she and her husband are UK grads. Came back to NJ for a few days and drove around today. I haven't been back here for nearly three years
Went to Scarlet Fever to pick up some new tee shirts (I love the one that says "jeRsey" on it). Visited my parents gravesite then drove up to Elizabeth to my old haunts. Got some Italian ice at DiCosmos then went to evening Spanish Mass at St. Pats. They no longer have any Masses in English. Some observations:

Was shocked to see the amount of business' that were board up including anchor stores at some malls. Also including Manolo's in Elizabeth which was Artie's restaurant in the pilot episode of The Sopranos. That place had been open over 40 years. I knew things were bad but it's worse than I thought.

Prices are just ridiculous. A plastic box of Shoprite chocolate chip cookies was $8.50!!!! And of course I'm driving a Hyundai Elantra and it took $65 to fill up the tank.

Sad to see such empty shelves in some stores. I went to Best Buy and I don't think a third of the shelf space was occupied.

Despite all of this it's great to be back in NJ. Visiting family and friends for a few days then back to Bangkok.

Last edited:
Down the shore everything is all right. . .

9ce94388d3af70c298aab1dc0fc63a04.jpg

Colbert, congrats and welcome back. Surprised you didn’t stop at Jerry’s for a dog and Tommy’s for potatoes in a cup.

I grew up down the Port, graduated E-High in 82. Ate at Manolo’s many nights. Lots of connections with St Pats.

Wondering if our paths have crossed.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Colbert, congrats and welcome back. Surprised you didn’t stop at Jerry’s for a dog and Tommy’s for potatoes in a cup.

I grew up down the Port, graduated E-High in 82. Ate at Manolo’s many nights. Lots of connections with St Pats.

Wondering if our paths have crossed.
Both were on my list but I was short on time.
I'm a little older than you but if you played sports our paths definitely crossed because in your era I had already had started coaching.
I grew up on East Jersey near Fourth St. Right next to the Turnpike.

Came back to the US last week for my daughter's wedding in Lexington. Both she and her husband are UK grads. Came back to NJ for a few days and drove around today. I haven't been back here for nearly three years
Went to Scarlet Fever to pick up some new tee shirts (I love the one that says "jeRsey" on it). Visited my parents gravesite then drove up to Elizabeth to my old haunts. Got some Italian ice at DiCosmos then went to evening Spanish Mass at St. Pats. They no longer have any Masses in English. Some observations:

Was shocked to see the amount of business' that were board up including anchor stores at some malls. Also including Manolo's in Elizabeth which was Artie's restaurant in the pilot episode of The Sopranos. That place had been open over 40 years. I knew things were bad but it's worse than I thought.

Prices are just ridiculous. A plastic box of Shoprite chocolate chip cookies was $8.50!!!! And of course I'm driving a Hyundai Elantra and it took $65 to fill up the tank.

Sad to see such empty shelves in some stores. I went to Best Buy and I don't think a third of the shelf space was occupied.

Despite all of this it's great to be back in NJ. Visiting family and friends for a few days then back to Bangkok.

Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip and best of luck to your daughter. And my apologies for playing a part in what might get this thread locked. Perhaps the mods can strip out the offending political posts and my rebuttals instead, but clearly I didn't start the political content.

Americans are really struggling right now , it’s so sad to see as you mentioned . But it’s always great to be home.

Welcome HOME. ENJOY the Wedding . Congrats to ALL.

Have a great time being home and when you leave , go with a smile in your heart knowing a good time was had.
As for those who want to make your homecoming welcome political:
Forgive them and enjoy the ones posting on this thread with messages of happiness and joy.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Both were on my list but I was short on time.
I'm a little older than you but if you played sports our paths definitely crossed because in your era I had already had started coaching.
I grew up on East Jersey near Fourth St. Right next to the Turnpike.
I grew up on Marshall between 2nd & 3rd. Went to St As. Played a lot of hoop at School 1 and the playground on E Jersey between 3rd & 4th. Used to come back and play pick up at St Pats at night when I was in my 20s. Shaheen Holloway played a few times when he was in HS.

Used to watch a lot of St Pats, St Mary’s, and E-High HS games growing up…good times.

Played Little League baseball and went to HS with Todd Bowles, Rodney Carter, …

I never played any sports for E-High. Good athlete, but got involved with wrong elements

Last edited:
I grew up on Marshall between 2nd & 3rd. Went to St As. Played a lot of hoop at School 1 and the playground on E Jersey between 3rd & 4th. Used to come back and play pick up at St Pats at night when I was in my 20s. Shaheen Holloway played a few times when he was in HS.

Used to watch a lot of St Pats, St Mary’s, and E-High HS games growing up…good times.

I never played any sports for E-High. Good athlete, but got involved with wrong elements
I'm sure we know a lot of the same people from those St. Pat's pick up games.
I had a summer job working at that E. Jersey st. playground in the early 70s. I think it's called Masnicki.

Spring lake?

Well excuse us Mr Hoity Toity

Hope you didn't have a sandwich on the beach.
Don't tell anyone, I snuck one on, tucked in the layers of my beach blanket. I strategically surrounded myself with 6 umbrellas so that the beach police could not catch me eating on the beach, a crime punishable by death in Spring Lake.

Cold/windy weekend on the beach, eh?

Reactions: Jm0513
Don't tell anyone, I snuck one on, tucked in the layers of my beach blanket. I strategically surrounded myself with 6 umbrellas so that the beach police could not catch me eating on the beach, a crime punishable by death in Spring Lake.

Cold/windy weekend on the beach, eh?
Yeah, it was. So windy and cold yesterday it was impossible to sit on the deck without being anchored down. A bit better today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Compared to Bangkok everything here is expensive...and can't even drink a beer walking down the street lol!

Enjoy!
Well, you are now permitted to drink on the party bikes:

Reactions: NotInRHouse

I'm a Linden guy but that Elizabeth football team with Bowles and Carter was amazing.

It's nice to see the Spring Lake boardwalk again.

40-45 years ago,I used to run from 5th Ave. in Bradley Beach down to the Parker House in Sea Girt and back.Sometimes,I went all the way to Jimmy Byrne's.The Parker House and back was about 10 miles and 11 for JB's.Today,I can barely walk 5-6 miles.All is fine as long as we have the Knightingale.

I'm a Linden guy but that Elizabeth football team with Bowles and Carter was amazing.
E-High was stacked across most sports. I believe that year at one point during their respective seasons, football, basketball, and baseball was ranked #1 in the state by the Star Ledger.

From that football team, it was crazy how many guys went on to play ball at the college level, I can’t remember all but some include Carter to Purdue, Bowles to Temple, Javier Montanez to Virginia, James Drayton to Nebraska, Terry Devlin to UMass, Ernie Hernandez to Lehigh, Baker QB to Delaware, a bunch of guys like Rob Strong to some JUCO in Arizona.

Linden wise, one of the best HS hoops teams was the Aaron Howard, Daryl Devero, Peeples, Dmitry Koluch. Good ol days…

E-High was stacked across most sports. I believe that year at one point during their respective seasons, football, basketball, and baseball was ranked #1 in the state by the Star Ledger.
Ray Korn was the JV coach at St. Pat's before he got the head job at RC and then Elizabeth.
I played baseball against Randy Guerra from Linden.

So does coming back feel more and more foreign each time or like you never left?

For me it's the former. Certain Jersey things that seemed perfectly normal for much of my life now seem entirely alien after being out of state for over a decade.

Like, goddamn, did I too used to drive like an angry bullmoose on meth? Yes, I suppose I did. Glad not to do that anymore.

Reactions: Jm0513

From that football team, it was crazy how many guys went on to play ball at the college level, I can’t remember all but some include Carter to Purdue, Bowles to Temple, Javier Montanez to Virginia, James Drayton to Nebraska, Terry Devlin to UMass, Ernie Hernandez to Lehigh, Baker QB to Delaware, a bunch of guys like Rob Strong to some JUCO in Arizona.

Linden wise, one of the best HS hoops teams was the Aaron Howard, Daryl Devero, Peeples, Dmitry Koluch. Good ol days…
Replace Dmitri Koluch with Gordon Austin who became all-state the year after the aforementioned big 3 had graduated. He went on to play at American University with Russell "Boo" Bowers from Westfield.

Reactions: colbert17
Replace Dmitri Koluch with Gordon Austin who became all-state the year after the aforementioned big 3 had graduated. He went on to play at American University with Russell "Boo" Bowers from Westfield.
Thanks, Jersey. I couldn’t remember the other starter, Gordon Austin. What a team.

I actually never saw them in high school but I sure heard about them.
Gil Chapman was a great player

I was at the Woodbridge/Thomas Jefferson game. Chapman did not play. Jefferson won 2-0

I also recall Chapman returning a kickoff for a TD that was called back. They kicked again and he returned that for a touchdown

I think it was against Linden

Americans are really struggling right now , it’s so sad to see as you mentioned . But it’s always great to be home.
Things were great 2 years ago and where I live they are still fine except for gas prices. Thing swing way too far in one direction. It’s swinging back now and I hope someday we can just stay on the middle. People profit off of these swings so I doubt it.

Gil Chapman was a great player

I was at the Woodbridge/Thomas Jefferson game. Chapman did not play. Jefferson won 2-0

I also recall Chapman returning a kickoff for a TD that was called back. They kicked again and he returned that for a touchdown

I think it was against Linden
I might be wrong but I remember seeing some where that in Chapman's senior year the first time that he touched the ball in a game he scored in five of them.
Richie Wood became the more accomplished player. 3X AA at USC and a pretty decent NFL linebacker.

ADVERTISEMENT