ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Back to K-12 school......

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUScottish05

Junior
Mar 24, 2010
So I'm in Florida and hearing kids could be required to wear masks upon return. Also hearing the same thing in NJ; however, half days for the kids and then teachers teach online for the second half of the day. Heard in PA that kids are to distance 3ft apart, teachers only wear masks, but kids wear masks in halls and buses.

I have an issue with sending my 3-year old and and 7-year old to school, half or full day with masks. If this is the case, we'll continue with online education if available.

Who makes these random arbitrary rules, 3ft vs. 6ft, masks no masks? And on what grounds do they stand and differ from school district and from state to state. Mind-blown at the lack of consistency in health practices. It feels like the wrong people are making these rules up on the fly.

Read the re-opening of schools in 22-European countries has not led to any increase in COVID. Also read 67,000 pediatricians are all for sending kids back to school. Am I off-base, losing my mind?

Reactions: Wolv RU
So I'm in Florida and hearing kids could be required to wear masks upon return. Also hearing the same thing in NJ; however, half days for the kids and then teachers teach online for the second half of the day. Heard in PA that kids are to distance 3ft apart, teachers only wear masks, but kids wear masks in halls and buses.

I have an issue with sending my 3-year old and and 7-year old to school, half or full day with masks. If this is the case, we'll continue with online education if available.

Who makes these random arbitrary rules, 3ft vs. 6ft, masks no masks? And on what grounds do they stand and differ from school district and from state to state. Mind-blown at the lack of consistency in health practices. It feels like the wrong people are making these rules up on the fly.

Read the re-opening of schools in 22-European countries has not led to any increase in COVID. Also read 67,000 pediatricians are all for sending kids back to school. Am I off-base, losing my mind?
You’re not losing your mind, the regulators and governors are losing their mind. Kids need to be back in school for so many good reasons.

Other countries for the most part had effective national plans of testing , tracing and lock downs and are now in good shape able to send kids back to school with out fears.

The USA has had no good national planning for anything, thus things a mess and will probably get worse in the fall.

Curious, why are you against your kids wearing masks? It obviously wouldn't work on a 3 year old, but couldn't a second grader be able to wear a mask when needed to protect the adults in the building who are more likely to get sick?

As a teacher, I want a return to full class teaching but I also want safety precautions as much as possible. The first 2 months of school are critical to setting the foundation for good learning over the year and it needs to be done in person if possible.

Our country currently has a whole lot of people who don't want to do anything at all to prevent the spread which forces a lot of weird semi-compromises pushed down to the administrative local level because politicians and states don't want to stick their neck out and follow guidelines pushed by experts, because the backlash is immense.

So, we're going to muddle through with ineffective half measures implemented by whoever gets left holding the short stick because the people whose job it should be are either scared to do the right thing or outright deny that anything really needs to be done.

Other countries for the most part had effective national plans of testing , tracing and lock downs and are now in good shape able to send kids back to school with out fears.

The USA has had no good national planning for anything, thus things a mess and will probably get worse in the fall.
The President of the NEA mentioned the Federal government won’t allocate any money to safely open the schools. I guess some schools might be able to afford plastic panels separating students In the classroom and other can not.

She also mentioned that they will need to run more buses if they want any type of separation on the buses which cost more money that the town/ cities/states do not have due to lower tax revenue.

This is true. We have plenty of case studies to review and learn from.

Curious, why are you against your kids wearing masks? It obviously wouldn't work on a 3 year old, but couldn't a second grader be able to wear a mask when needed to protect the adults in the building who are more likely to get sick?

As a teacher, I want a return to full class teaching but I also want safety precautions as much as possible. The first 2 months of school are critical to setting the foundation for good learning over the year and it needs to be done in person if possible.

I've worn a mask and am uncomfortable, distracted, and sometimes overheated and short of breath. And I'm 37 and run/work out every day. Limiting amounts of oxygen to my child's brain, increased CO2, creating a distraction, not conducive to learning - all reasons I am against. I see these as negative impacts on both health and learning.

So the schools say lets go half a day of mask wearing because a full day is too much for the kids. On what grounds is 4 hours ok vs. 6 hours vs. 8 hours? So lets get all the kids home for virtual learning in the afternoon.

I've worn a mask and am uncomfortable, distracted, and sometimes overheated and short of breath. And I'm 37 and run/work out every day. Limiting amounts of oxygen to my child's brain, increased CO2, creating a distraction, not conducive to learning - all reasons I am against. I see these as negative impacts on both health and learning.

So the schools say lets go half a day of mask wearing because a full day is too much for the kids. On what grounds is 4 hours ok vs. 6 hours vs. 8 hours? So lets get all the kids home for virtual learning in the afternoon.
You can teach your kids at home.

I have a 4yo and 3yo in private Daycare in NJ:
Students are not required to wear masks in the building.
It is encouraged to bring and wear but they realize toddlers will mess with them, take off, play with them.

And of course under 2 is never recommended to wear a mask anywhere.

Interesting that Florida would require a 3yo to wear masks inside.

Reactions: Jm0513

Didn't I tell you to go into pharma? Gonna suck for teachers in the fall.

I have a 4yo and 3yo in private Daycare in NJ:
Students are not required to wear masks in the building.
It is encouraged to bring and wear but they realize toddlers will mess with them, take off, play with them.

And of course under 2 is never recommended to wear a mask anywhere.

Interesting that Florida would require a 3yo to wear masks inside.
Do the adults wear masks at the daycare, just wondering? My relatives haven’t allowed their kids to go back to daycare.

Reactions: NickRU714
Do the adults wear masks at the daycare, just wondering? My relatives haven’t allowed their kids to go back to daycare.

Yes.
All staff and teachers.
Parents as well during drop off-pickup.

Drop and pickup are now only in the lobby.
Staff take the kids back to the classrooms instead of parents walking them back to the classrooms.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...t-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

As with everything else related to current time, it's complicated. Certainly opening schools seems better than the alternative, but it's not like the rest of the world just threw kids back in school with no changes while cases were still exploding in some areas.

At the end of the day the schools will be left to figure it out on a case by case basis and teachers will likely be left to protect themselves.

Reactions: asgot and Greg2020
Federal funds will be withheld if schools don’t open. The CDC safety guidelines are too expensive to follow and no extra federal funds will be provided to the states.

All the "follow the science" people have disappeared. What they meant all along was follow the science that fits our agenda. There is ZERO scientific reason for kids not to be back in school.
Except there has been numerous outbreaks at daycare centers and camps around the country.

Reactions: asgot

There has been numerous outbreaks in camps and day care centers throughout the USA.

Reactions: asgot
Except there has been numerous outbreaks at daycare centers and camps

Gov Murphy has said daycares can open.
NJ Department of Children and Families - Office of Licensing sets the guidelines and restrictions for daycare centers.

If Gov Murphy says it is safe enough, that works for me.
Are you saying Gov. Murphy should shut down daycares again?

isn't the agenda to slow the spread? What's the other agenda? Didn't the US just reported a single day record of 60k?
many countries have opened up schools around the world and had no issues. Kids barely get it and when they do, their viral load is so low they don't spread it.

Reactions: Caliknight
many countries have opened up schools around the world and had no issues. Kids barely get it and when they do, their viral load is so low they don't spread it.
Didn't they generally do so with much lower spread (and often with precautions)? I think they should open (hell, I'm sending my kid to camp despite there being some outbreaks, see previous post), but the opening with no additional funding help from the feds and no matter what the local case count looks like seems a bit much.

The screaming we need to open by a bunch of people who won't do a damn thing to lower case counts is also a bit much. You really want schools to open? Don't bitch about wearing a mask (not directed at you specifically, but more directed at the national trends).

The President of the NEA mentioned the Federal government won’t allocate any money to safely open the schools. I guess some schools might be able to afford plastic panels separating students In the classroom and other can not.

She also mentioned that they will need to run more buses if they want any type of separation on the buses which cost more money that the town/ cities/states do not have due to lower tax revenue.
Did you get my private message?

To answer the bolded question it is the same people who don't allow teachers to smoke cigarettes in the classroom, require caps on electrical outlets, keep games and puzzles with choking hazards out of the classroom, etc.

Reactions: Greg2020
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...t-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

As with everything else related to current time, it's complicated. Certainly opening schools seems better than the alternative, but it's not like the rest of the world just threw kids back in school with no changes while cases were still exploding in some areas.

At the end of the day the schools will be left to figure it out on a case by case basis and teachers will likely be left to protect themselves.

Fair and balanced article, thanks for posting. To me, the data so far suggests that schools should reopen on a full-time basis with as many guidelines as can be practically executed. Some out of the box thinking would help too, like allowing classes to be taught outside of the physical school buildings themselves where possible.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Gov Murphy has said daycares can open.
NJ Department of Children and Families - Office of Licensing sets the guidelines and restrictions for daycare centers.

If Gov Murphy says it is safe enough, that works for me.
Are you saying Gov. Murphy should shut down daycares again?
Not saying that. But just open up schools all around the nation no matter what isn't safe either.

Reactions: MoobyCow

This stuff is complicated, it's messy and it's not easy. People with the best of intentions are going to get things wrong because we just don't know the answers to some things. I have no issue with people honestly deciding to err on the side of less precautions because they think that is a better path all things considered, but mostly I come upon people who are just pretending that it comes with no trade-offs and everything will be just fine with no downside at all to whatever course they decide is best.

There will be potentially significant downsides to anything and everything for the next few months (hopefully not years) and we all need to recognize that.

isn't the agenda to slow the spread? What's the other agenda? Didn't the US just reported a single day record of 60k?

To me, that's not the agenda. If that is the only goal, everyone should stay home and never leave. The agenda in my opinion should be to create maximum utility for society at large. Keeping kids home from school for another entire year is a big negative to me, and something I would only do if it was up to me if it was absolutely proven that there is no other way. That is not the case now. Schools should be viewed as essential as any other services. To me, it is far more important to have schools open than restaurants, bars, gyms, and a whole host of other things.

Sending kids to school every other day is probably the worst of all worlds. It fails to consider who kids are with on the days not at school? What if they're being taken care of by their grandparents because their parents have to work?

This stuff is complicated, it's messy and it's not easy. People with the best of intentions are going to get things wrong because we just don't know the answers to some things. I have no issue with people honestly deciding to err on the side of less precautions because they think that is a better path all things considered, but mostly I come upon people who are just pretending that it comes with no trade-offs and everything will be just fine with no downside at all to whatever course they decide is best.

There will be potentially significant downsides to anything and everything for the next few months (hopefully not years) and we all need to recognize that.
Agreed but the pretending that no chance things can go wrong at these places or we need NORMAL without people sacrificing anything to get there is nauseating. These European countries you weren't even allowed to go on a walk for weeks in some of them yet people on this board whine about every restriction. And they do not care about saving any one else. Truly sickening.

I have been a mask proponent since day 1. I have asthma and have no problem wearing it. Nothing kisses me off more than soomeone wearing a mask with their nose having out of it. Pointless. I think people are filled with excuses on what they want to do and they just don’t want to do it.

When they required seat belts people at first made crazy excuses...eventually it became normal. This just needs time, and people just need to learn to listen.

Other countries are having success because no one questions anything....in the great old USA people question everything the government says. If everyone would just do what they were supposed to do we would be in great shape but having freedom doesn’t mean question everything.

Kids first grade and up should be required in school to wear a mask.

School are not going to bus many kids. The thing that I don’t get it why every town makes their own decision on schools opening. It should be a county or state thing with more guidelines. Down here in ocean county I’m hearing tons River is not opening until January central regional is doing A/B days and some schools like Southern will be in school all 5 days. So how can one town make it work and other not. Sounds like lazy administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT