ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Back to K-12 school......

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is me . I’m a teacher , have one kid in preschool ( they have no plan communicated to us yet) and another in second grade ( no plan either yet). My wife has been wfh , but her company says now they have to come in full time starting August 3rd. We usually have a babysitter who comes and splits time with my mom to watch the kids. We have no idea what days or times they will be going yet and what my teaching schedule is yet . The other part is the babysitter or my mom being able to watch a 3 year old and try to set up and help virtual learning for a 7 year old while we are at work . What a nightmare
One of those times where the "like" I gave you is more the grim nod of understanding.

In almost the same boat except no babysitter or family help. Will have one in K, one in 1st. We did afterschool for a few days a week for my oldest last year. The Y provides it at his school. Worked out pretty well. Now...who the hell knows.

It all sucks.

One of those times where the "like" I gave you is more the grim nod of understanding.

In almost the same boat except no babysitter or family help. Will have one in K, one in 1st. We did afterschool for a few days a week for my oldest last year. The Y provides it at his school. Worked out pretty well. Now...who the hell knows.

It all sucks.
We used to do morning care (same thing the y provides it), but didn’t need it last year . This year you can’t even get in right now . The before and after care is a small space too so I don’t n is how that will work . They will have to even shrink the numbers is my guess

But they say it does not happen but there are stories about it happening. Why would any school teach the 1619 Project? Is that a trend just beginning or does it show the politicization of history has already taken place and the 1619 Project is just a sign that it has already happened? Are all these young people going around tearing down statues another sign of the same thing? When asked about the identities of the people whose statues they are tearing down and they don't know they were abolitionists, for example, is that a sign that they are not being taught well in schools?

I am interested in a baseline for you. Would you have a problem if students were taught that Jefferson owned and raped slaves. Would that be appropriate for high school kids to know? Would you consider that biased or important historical information?

Reactions: Greg2020
You keep trying to turn this into me lecturing you and everyone else as if no one else in the world recognizes that students are becoming more and more hateful of America.

ANYONE should be able to list all the evidence of the increased radicalization and politicization of schoolkids. There is plenty of evidence of it. Yet you keep trying to turn this into a question about who I am. Why? Is it uncomfortable for you to talk about the evidence? Why won't you say what subject you teach? You're the one claiming some level of expertise on teachers and public schools.. lay it out for us. Let your resume do the talking for you and I'll let the evidence speak for me.

I am not teh one who politicized this thread. I said go back to normal, open the schools. Someone else blamed Betsy Devoss for some reason, apparently not realizing how her resume was similar to Obama's choice who promoted charter schools like she promoted religious schools. This is not a federal issue.. each state has the mandate to educate children.. the feds just play referee to make sure the states live up to that mandate.

My only point in talking about the cultural/political war being waged inside public schools is that if the Feds had more control at this time they wouldn't be teaching crap like the 1619 Project.
The intention of this thread was to talk about how things should work when schools are re-opened. I criticized DeVos because she has given nothing of value (money, support) to achieve this goal. She is not doing her job as the figure head of education. She comes across as not giving two $hits about anything that has to with public schools or making them succeed.

You can talk about all those articles, etc. in another thread and they would be relevant. They have no purpose trying to figure out the problems at hand. I assume you know this and are just trying to stir the pot and jerk most of us around.

Beyond basic PPE gear use and safety issues, my biggest current concerns for teachers are:

- What happens if a students/teacher gets Covid? Does the whole class quarantine for 14 days? Do they go to virtual learning?

- Do teachers have to use sick days to do this? If they don't or don't have them do they get docked pay?

- Who's paying for all of these new supplies we have to use every day?

This is biggest crock of shit I've read on hear in a long time

I think you and Donnie should get out a fire extinguisher and try and put out the dumpster fire you guys have started which is now this country
133k dead
3.2 mill infected
Open everything up
Trump only wants the kids back in school to improve the employment numbers. 3 millions teachers back to work.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Greg2020
Adopting and teaching the 1619 project BS.. that's not a talking point. Radicalizing students until they go around pulling down statues and such.. that is not a talking point. Telling students to get in their parent's faces.. to hate their "white privilege".. that is not a talking point. I am a little shocked that you all don't want your programming to continue as normal. But I suppose the election is more important.
Could you show school curriculum that supports your ridiculous statements? If you can't, then just shut your stupid pie hole.

Could you show school curriculum that supports your ridiculous statements? If you can't, then just shut your stupid pie hole.
link

As if everything that comes out of teachers' mouths is in official curricula.

Above a teacher here said parents will complain.. how does he know that if it doesn't already happen?

How many stories do you have to see about teachers saying stuff like "To be white, is to be racist"?

Younger generations are rioting and looting and pulling down statues.. but how they are being educated has nothing to do with it. Comment on that negatively.. you are a racist. You cannot be a "fine person" if you don't want Robert E. Lee's statues torn down (soon to be Washington and Jefferson and others.. heck, a school in Oregon lost a Jefferson statue and four 20-somethings were caught.).

It is not all the teachers, it's not all the schools, it's not all the students.. Any of them doing peaceful protests for, say, the right to life, they are the problem, right? Its not even the large number of BLMers we saw defending businesses.. telling people NOT to graffiti up a storefront.. it is likely the majority of young BLMers who don't do things that show a total disdain for America.

BLM.. the organization.. not the majority of the people following it.. has some real issues. But if a teacher says anything negative about them they will be fired. If that doesn't tell you anything about the state of our education system,m.. public and private... I don't know what to tell you.

This is where we are now.. destroying statues and the schools bear SOME of the responsibility just like the schools helped produce the generation that defeated fascism and win the cold war... they helped produce this mess.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
link

Above a teacher here said parents will complain.. how does he know that if it doesn't already happen?

How many stories do you have to see about teachers saying stuff like "To be white, is to be racist"?

Younger generations are rioting and looting and pulling down statues.. but how they are being educated has nothing to do with it. Comment on that negatively.. you are a racist. You cannot be a "fine person" if you don't want Robert E. Lee's statues torn down (soon to be Washington and Jefferson and others.. heck, a school in Oregon lost a Jefferson statue and four 20-somethings were caught.).

It is not all the teachers, it's not all the schools, it's not all the students.. Any of them doing peaceful protests for, say, the right to life, they are the problem, right? Its not even the large number of BLMers we saw defending businesses.. telling people NOT to graffiti up a storefront.. it is likely the majority of young BLMers who don't do things that show a total disdain for America.

BLM.. the organization.. not the majority of the people following it.. has some real issues. But if a teacher says anything negative about them they will be fired. If that doesn't tell you anything about the state of our education system,m.. public and private... I don't know what to tell you.

This is where we are now.. destroying statues and the schools bear SOME of the responsibility just like the schools helped produce the generation that defeated fascism and win the cold war... they helped produce this mess.

When did you go completely nucking futs?

This goes beyond a hat ...full tinfoil bunker

Since you keep insisting on recycling the same "proof," let's look at the Grand scope it encompasses:

"School districts in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Buffalo, New York, have decided to update their history curricula to include the material, which posits that the institution of slavery was so embedded in the country's DNA that the country's true founding could be said to have occurred in 1619, rather than in 1776."

Four cities. Far cry from your claims here.

Do better.

When did you go completely nucking futs?

This goes beyond a hat ...full tinfoil bunker
And to most sane people the idea that police would evacuate a building to allow rioters to burn it was unthinkable. If someone had predicted that a year ago saying that was where all this appeasement of groups like Antifa was leading to... you'd have called him nucking futs too. But that's where we are, isn't it?

Here's a teacher-oriented site discussing teaching white privilege back in 2009

This has been building for some time.

I've been a male middle school teacher in NB for more than a decade. I've had lots of offers to work in "rich", "easy" districts but I've never really considered them. I did my student teaching here when I was a student at Rutgers and fell in love with the community. It's a calling. I'm also VERY anti-Trump. But...

If I got sick back in March, there were doctors, nurses, lab techs, aids, janitors, etc., etc., etc , going to work every day in hospitals because society needed them to be there.
When I needed groceries the cashiers, shelf stockers, department managers, etc. went to work because society needed them to be there.
Emts, police, fire fighters, mail carries, garbage men, etc. went to work every day because society needed them to.
In September, society needs us to go back to schools so that parents can mask up and go to work as well.
I wish there was another way but there just isn't.

Imagine if you are a teacher AND a parent, like my wife. You get the fun from both sides. She is really dreading how this split stuff will work out, but they are trying to get ready. On top of her regular teaching cert, special ed cert, and her Masters, she is working on Google certification this summer.
My wife and I are both teachers and we've got two boys in a different district. We have no idea what will happen. Oh, and I'm also on my local Board of Education, so add that to my nightmare.

My wife and I are both teachers and we've got two boys in a different district. We have no idea what will happen. Oh, and I'm also on my local Board of Education, so add that to my nightmare.
Our district is talking about childcare options for this year for teachers with kids . I have no idea what that means or how that will work . I guess if your kids have off that day you can take them to someplace In district and they will provide childcare ?

I received an email from our superintendent this evening. I also heard from someone else in an adjacent town that received a similar email. I'm in Mercer county.

Our district is planning on a 1 week on, 1 week off in person education plan. The school district will follow a half day schedule with learning ending at 1. No lunches served. Parents have to opt into busing but are encouraged to drop their kids off if possible. Kids that are not in person will follow a synchronous learning plan for the week they are not there.

I like this because it gives you an automatic week of quarantine every other week. However, if there is synchronous learning, some teachers will need to be home.

By far the most interesting that came out of the email was the parent survey results:

60 percent of K-5 parents in my district will NOT send their kids to school because it's not safe.
55 percent of 6-8 parents said the same.
50 percent of high school parents said the same.

So now what is the state and federal govt gonna do? Force the kids to go to school against their parents wishes? At this point, they are making the parents fill out a preference form of what method of learning they want their children to get. The fight is far from over it seems.

Our district is talking about childcare options for this year for teachers with kids . I have no idea what that means or how that will work . I guess if your kids have off that day you can take them to someplace In district and they will provide childcare ?
I'm glad their thinking of that because it impacts me too. However, what's the difference to sending your kids to the Y for daycare with 50 other kids and going to class? They might as well just be in school all day.

I'm glad their thinking of that because it impacts me too. However, what's the difference to sending your kids to the Y for daycare with 50 other kids and going to class? They might as well just be in school all day.
I agree. I honestly don’t know how that would work .

I've heard that for some camps, where they normally have some level of inter-mingling throughout the day, they are now going with the "pod" approach, where each pod travels together, from activity to activity, eats together, swims together (usually, kids break up based on ability, but pods will all be together in the same pool, and during swim instruction, the teaching lifeguard will need to be hands off the campers, which requires the counselors for that pod to take on a much more active role, but only with their own campers). Any close staff/camper interaction beyond those in each pod (for instance, when a ropes person needs to harness and helmet a camper) will need to involve wearing of masks. Otherwise, pod members will have masks but not always need to wear them based on distancing. Not really sure how the whole bus thing will play into this, since campers from different pods ride on the same bus, each day. Guessing there will be distancing and recommendations re: masks. As was mentioned by someone else, there is no way to eliminate what's going on in the world at large, only to minimize it.

My wife got here back to school plan today. Catholic school in Florida.

• Up to 30 students in classroom
  • No masks for students
  • Teachers move from class to class. Are given a wireless keyboard and mouse
  • Teachers can wear mask if they wish.
  • No plexiglass
  • No lockers. All crap in classroom with kids
  • Gym 3x per week. Kids wear gym clothes all day on those days.
  • Teachers clean classroom after school.
  • Teachers and students must sign mandatory release
Might be done teaching. Insane plan

My wife got here back to school plan today. Catholic school in Florida.

• Up to 30 students in classroom
  • No masks for students
  • Teachers move from class to class. Are given a wireless keyboard and mouse
  • Teachers can wear mask if they wish.
  • No plexiglass
  • No lockers. All crap in classroom with kids
  • Gym 3x per week. Kids wear gym clothes all day on those days.
  • Teachers clean classroom after school.
  • Teachers and students must sign mandatory release
Might be done teaching. Insane plan
That sounds about right for florida

The intention of this thread was to talk about how things should work when schools are re-opened. I criticized DeVos because she has given nothing of value (money, support) to achieve this goal. She is not doing her job as the figure head of education. She comes across as not giving two $hits about anything that has to with public schools or making them succeed.

You can talk about all those articles, etc. in another thread and they would be relevant. They have no purpose trying to figure out the problems at hand. I assume you know this and are just trying to stir the pot and jerk most of us around.
DeVos is doing a great job advocating for private schools.
:)

Beyond basic PPE gear use and safety issues, my biggest current concerns for teachers are:

- What happens if a students/teacher gets Covid? Does the whole class quarantine for 14 days? Do they go to virtual learning?

- Do teachers have to use sick days to do this? If they don't or don't have them do they get docked pay?

- Who's paying for all of these new supplies we have to use every day?
I'm sure public school districts will provide these supplies at no cost to the teachers.
rolleyes.gif

Also, what will teachers do with their kids? That will be tough issues.

My employer loves it. They are getting minimum 11-12 hour days from everyone and hardly anyone is taking any vacation. Emails are constantly sent globally from all hours of the night and days are packed full with meetings..often scheduled with less than 15 minutes notice. Productivity is way up. We were already told not to expect to go back to the office before Jan. 1 though I wonder if it will happen at all.
Yep. Same at my global IT company. People are working their a$$es of because we are scared to death about being laid off.

And to most sane people the idea that police would evacuate a building to allow rioters to burn it was unthinkable. If someone had predicted that a year ago saying that was where all this appeasement of groups like Antifa was leading to... you'd have called him nucking futs too. But that's where we are, isn't it?

Here's a teacher-oriented site discussing teaching white privilege back in 2009

This has been building for some time.
link

Wait, so when statues are destroyed schools bear some blame? Explain more.....

This sounds to me like you are more upset that real issues like treating blacks like humans are being addressed.

I received an email from our superintendent this evening. I also heard from someone else in an adjacent town that received a similar email. I'm in Mercer county.

Our district is planning on a 1 week on, 1 week off in person education plan. The school district will follow a half day schedule with learning ending at 1. No lunches served. Parents have to opt into busing but are encouraged to drop their kids off if possible. Kids that are not in person will follow a synchronous learning plan for the week they are not there.

I like this because it gives you an automatic week of quarantine every other week. However, if there is synchronous learning, some teachers will need to be home.

By far the most interesting that came out of the email was the parent survey results:

60 percent of K-5 parents in my district will NOT send their kids to school because it's not safe.
55 percent of 6-8 parents said the same.
50 percent of high school parents said the same.

So now what is the state and federal govt gonna do? Force the kids to go to school against their parents wishes? At this point, they are making the parents fill out a preference form of what method of learning they want their children to get. The fight is far from over it seems.
Parents with kids at home can do so and watch them fall further and further behind. Synchronous learning is fine, our school is doing the same. I'm sure it will be much better than last spring, but it's still not going to be as effective as in person (or one and one tutoring).

Starting to sound like many teachers don’t want to go back into the classroom this Fall, yet have no science to support their position.

What position does the NJ teachers union take on returning to the classroom?
how about the almost 50 dead teachers from Covid in NYC?

how about the almost 50 dead teachers from Covid in NYC?

May they RIP.

Children need classroom teaching, not online exercises from home. Too many will fall behind if remote learning continues, especially at the K-8 level.

Reactions: LC-88
May they RIP.

Children need classroom teaching, not online exercises from home. Too many will fall behind if remote learning continues, especially at the K-8 level.
In the long run I agree. In the short run it can be managed. Parents gotta parent. You should see the difference in performance my wife saw between kids that did schoolwork during normal hours and those that did it very late at night.

In the long run I agree. In the short run it can be managed. Parents gotta parent. You should see the difference in performance my wife saw between kids that did schoolwork during normal hours and those that did it very late at night.
What if both parents have to work? Kind of hard to work a full-time job and home school the little ones at the same time. School districts need to step up and figure it out.

What if both parents have to work? Kind of hard to work a full-time job and home school the little ones at the same time. School districts need to step up and figure it out.
It would really help out the school districts if the rest us stopped f'n around and did something to get things under control.

Hard to blame the schools districts for not figuring it out when the country spent the summer making sure the virus stayed around in huge numbers.

Last edited:
Wait, so when statues are destroyed schools bear some blame? Explain more.....

This sounds to me like you are more upset that real issues like treating blacks like humans are being addressed.
I'll put it as simply as possible.. the trend for over a decade has been schools and universities and MSM pushing the liberal agenda attacking American history and capitalism, the Consitution, the police, the government, etc etc. What we are seeing now is the product of those efforts. So, yes, the schools bare part of the blame.

In 2005 Senator Barack Obama was strongly against illegal immigration.. but now he is all for it. How does that happen? Someone laid out for him the plan for Dems to have a permanent majority based on numbers alone.

I will not get into racism here as charges of racism is being used by the liberals to further their goals. If liberals really cared they would be doing more about black on black violence which, literally, is 100 or a 1000 times more dangerous to blacks than police actions.

I'll put it as simply as possible.. the trend for over a decade has been schools and universities and MSM pushing the liberal agenda attacking American history and capitalism, the Consitution, the police, the government, etc etc. What we are seeing now is the product of those efforts. So, yes, the schools bare part of the blame.

In 2005 Senator Barack Obama was strongly against illegal immigration.. but now he is all for it. How does that happen? Someone laid out for him the plan for Dems to have a permanent majority based on numbers alone.

I will not get into racism here as charges of racism is being used by the liberals to further their goals. If liberals really cared they would be doing more about black on black violence which, literally, is 100 or a 1000 times more dangerous to blacks than police actions.

https://www.axios.com/immigration-i...ama-a72a0a44-540d-46bc-a671-cd65cf72f4b1.html

Trump hasn’t come close to deporting as many illegals as Obama. Granted that Obama deported as many criminals as possible and under Trump, it’s more difficult to find illegal criminals so Trump is deporting more illegal business owners, hard working illegals in the fields and the meat packing industry.

https://www.cato.org/blog/trump-administrations-deportation-regime-faltering

In the late 60's/early 70's it was the Vietnam War and Civil Rights that drove young, mostly college educated people toward "activism". In the 10's and 20's it appears to be movements like BLM and climate change that are driving the same types of college educated youth towards activism.

Shouting the 10's/20's equivalent of "cut your hair" and "stop playing that damn Rock n' Roll music" isn't changing the reality. A young, socially conscious generation is upon us and they appear to be passionate about expressing their views. "Picket lines and picket signs. Dont punish me, with brutality. Talk to me, so you can see, what's going on".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT