ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bar in NYC today for Italy game

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
Any recommendations for a bar near Midtown to watch Italy - Germany today at 2:45 ?
*** Short notice but need to watch the game today - TIA !!

Little Italy also an option. Not sure which is the best bar / restaurant there to watch the game

It’s strange how Italy looked so good at Euro last year now this. Granted this isn’t the most meaningful tournament and the game was played in Germany.

2 WCs in a row they missed out. Won the Euros in between.
Euro helped take the sting out of the last WC miss since we hadn't won it since 1968 (and had lots of heartbreak in between)

But this one is completely unacceptable. Italy struggles with a lot of things in soccer domestically (older stadiums, crazy politics, etc.) but this one hurts

Hoping for a re-birth, and my dream would be to see them play in the final in 2026 at Met Life. I could die a happy man if that were to happen

Euro helped take the sting out of the last WC miss since we hadn't won it since 1968 (and had lots of heartbreak in between)

But this one is completely unacceptable. Italy struggles with a lot of things in soccer domestically (older stadiums, crazy politics, etc.) but this one hurts

Hoping for a re-birth, and my dream would be to see them play in the final in 2026 at Met Life. I could die a happy man if that were to happen
sorry on the result…I would have recommended the Football Factory also…curious did they have the Costa Rica vs New Zealand World Cup qualifier on and which games did they have the sound on…seems like it was a good choice for you…

I would think a crazed US soccer fan would want the US to win in 2026.

sorry on the result…I would have recommended the Football Factory also…curious did they have the Costa Rica vs New Zealand World Cup qualifier on and which games did they have the sound on…seems like it was a good choice for you…
They had a few games on, including CR vs NZ and the England-Hungary game. The England game had the sound on, and the handful of 3 Lions supporters were not happy with the outcome

I would think a crazed US soccer fan would want the US to win in 2026.
As noted in previous posts, I root for Italy first and the USA 2nd.

I wouldn't consider myself a crazed US soccer fan, as we grew up in an Italian household with Italian soccer as religion.

Although they try to package the Nations Cup to make it seem consequential, it's not the World Cup or the Euros, so these are basically glorified exhibition games, or as Allen Iverson would say "practice?" Italy not qualifying for the World Cup twice in a row is a huge issue, but don't lose any sleep over yesterday's game.

I also grew up in an Italian family, have attended games in Italy, and was able to attend Italy's quarterfinal and semifinal games at World Cup '94 and to meet their head coach at their hotel in Basking Ridge after the semifinal. I always root for Italy, except if they play the US. Then it's not even close, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A ... 🙂

Although they try to package the Nations Cup to make it seem consequential, it's not the World Cup or the Euros, so these are basically glorified exhibition games, or as Allen Iverson would say "practice?" Italy not qualifying for the World Cup twice in a row is a huge issue, but don't lose any sleep over yesterday's game.

I also grew up in an Italian family, have attended games in Italy, and was able to attend Italy's quarterfinal and semifinal games at World Cup '94 and to meet their head coach at their hotel in Basking Ridge after the semifinal. I always root for Italy, except if they play the US. Then it's not even close, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A ... 🙂
I hope I'm able to do the same when the WC comes here in 2026, assuming Italy trains at Pingry and stays at the Somerset Hills Hotel (or somewhere local).

That would be a dream come true for our family, as my daughter will be 11 by then, and she's just starting to really get into soccer, my wife played collegiately and we're all diehard Azzurri fans

I hope I'm able to do the same when the WC comes here in 2026, assuming Italy trains at Pingry and stays at the Somerset Hills Hotel (or somewhere local).

That would be a dream come true for our family, as my daughter will be 11 by then, and she's just starting to really get into soccer, my wife played collegiately and we're all diehard Azzurri fans
It was awesome JayDog, some of my friends got to see them train at Pingry, but just hanging out in the parking lot of the hotel with lots of Azzurri fans greeting the team when they returned after the games was really cool. Arrigo Sacchi came out and talked to us and my little sister got his autograph.

It was awesome JayDog, some of my friends got to see them train at Pingry, but just hanging out in the parking lot of the hotel with lots of Azzurri fans greeting the team when they returned after the games was really cool. Arrigo Sacchi came out and talked to us and my little sister got his autograph.
Nice man! I hope soccer gets big in this country. It’s such a great game and I’d love for MLS to become the 3rd most popular domestic league in our lifetimes

Reactions: Skull83
Speaking of MLS, they entered into into an interesting agreement with Apple TV. The MLS commissioner had some interesting things to say about the deal because of the way they're splitting money. Here are a few links.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...league-soccer-and-apple-tv-agree-10-year-deal

ADVERTISEMENT