ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball by the numbers

Who doesn’t love opening day?!

aiuiEWZ.gif

Wait baseball started today?

Thank god they play 262 games or else I may have missed it…

No sport in this country is is more dire need of pro/rel than MLB.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Number of people in my family when I was a boy who followed baseball: 4. Number of people in my family today who follow baseball: 0.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Wait baseball started today?

Thank god they play 262 games or else I may have missed it…

No sport in this country is is more dire need of pro/rel than MLB.
Nah. Just shorten the season.

There is a reason they call it the Big Leagues, The Show or the Majors.

Great movie. While I don’t disagree with the sentiment of the FOD quote - if you’re not in love with the game of baseball but rather a fan of a team (which is possible) the fact that a quarter of they way through the season 75% of the teams are already out of contention for the postseason makes it hard to follow for the next 6 months…

That’s why I mentioned pro/rel - which I know will never happen - because unless your team is one of the 25% there isn’t much to play for and the games get pointless.

Last edited:
Number of people in my family when I was a boy who followed baseball: 4. Number of people in my family today who follow baseball: 0.
I was an absolute baseball fanatic, both with regard to playing and following each season. Even played full seasons of the APBA card game from the previous season with a friend, from when I was about 10 until I was about 15. Free agency and coming to RU and discovering RU sports combined to make baseball irrelevant to me. I'll maybe watch a game or two of the WS each year and that's it.

Visited my parents yesterday and we watched both the Yankee and Mets game.

There were 5 of us helping MLBs tv ratings

Great movie. While I don’t disagree with the sentiment of the FOD quote - if you’re not in love with the game of baseball but rather a fan of a team (which is possible) the fact that a quarter of they way through the season 75% of the teams are already out of contention for the postseason makes it hard to follow for the next 6 months…

That’s why I mentioned pro/rel - which I know will never happen - because unless your team is one of the 25% there isn’t much to play for and the games get pointless.
It can’t because that’s just not how professional sports is set up here in the good ole’ US of A.

I love affiliated * minor league baseball and hockey. But those just having a good year and someone above them having bad one doesn’t just magically make them a MLB or NHL squad the next season and the other AAA or AHL.

Would never fly or work out here on those side of the Pond.

* will go to more BlueClaws games (and Patriots if they were closer) than either the Mets or Yankees.

I'll never get tired of baseball.
The pro league that is in the biggest need of an overhaul is the NBA. Totally unwatchable IMHO.

According to most reports, the NBA media deal (and subsequently salary cap) is going to explode with the next media deal in a couple years.

It does seem most agree 82 games is too long but not sure how to solve that (less games but equal or more revenue).

According to most reports, the NBA media deal (and subsequently salary cap) is going to explode with the next media deal in a couple years.

It does seem most agree 82 games is too long but not sure how to solve that (less games but equal or more revenue).
I think the length of season for both, NBA and NHL, is fine. Maybe a little shorter, but it’s not bad.

Baseball on the other hand is way too long. There shouldn’t be “real” games in March. 👎

Same with “Spring” sports in college starting in February.

Reactions: NickRU714
It can’t because that’s just not how professional sports is set up here in the good ole’ US of A.

I love affiliated * minor league baseball and hockey. But those just having a good year and someone above them having bad one doesn’t just magically make them a MLB or NHL squad the next season and the other AAA or AHL.

Would never fly or work out here on those side of the Pond.

* will go to more BlueClaws games (and Patriots if they were closer) than either the Mets or Yankees.

As a huge NBA fan, the worst is that the NBA Draft actually encourages actively tanking for the bottom teams.
They smoothed out the odds for #1 overall pick but it's only mildly working to prevent tanking.

The value of instant impact players right out of the draft is very high (unlike baseball).
Unless you go to a full equal weighted lottery then you can't really solve it.
But then what happens if a team that barely missed the playoffs gets the best incoming player?
It leaves teams perpetually at the bottom of the league (see CFB recruiting - rich get richer).

Damned if you do - damned if you don't.

I think the length of season for both, NBA and NHL, is fine. Maybe a little shorter, but it’s not bad.

Baseball on the other hand is way too long. There shouldn’t be “real” games in March. 👎

Haha. As a fan who doesn't have to play the games - I'd propose longer CFB, CBB, NBA, NFL, NHL seasons.
Give me more games to watch at night!
Do they really need an offseason? For what?

As a huge NBA fan, the worst is that the NBA Draft actually encourages actively tanking for the bottom teams.
They smoothed out the odds for #1 overall pick but it's only mildly working to prevent tanking.

The value of instant impact players right out of the draft is very high (unlike baseball).
Unless you go to a full equal weighted lottery then you can't really solve it.
But then what happens if a team that barely missed the playoffs gets the best incoming player?
It leaves teams perpetually at the bottom of the league (see CFB recruiting - rich get richer).

Damned if you do - damned if you don't.
I love sports so much I used to even follow the CBA and the USBL when they were still around.

The “G” (kinda) before the G League.

Haha. As a fan who doesn't have to play the games - I'd propose longer CFB, CBB, NBA, NFL, NHL seasons.
Give me more games to watch at night!
Do they really need an offseason? For what?
Harmony…for the winter, let Basketball have this night and Hockey another.

Live content every night. Advertising dream.

More or less with you on that. Baseball is a nice spring/summer weather sport. Personally have trouble getting into it until at least late April, more likely late May. Once I do, it becomes my favorite thing to watch.

Watching baseball while it's snowing is a pass.

I was an absolute baseball fanatic, both with regard to playing and following each season. Even played full seasons of the APBA card game from the previous season with a friend, from when I was about 10 until I was about 15. Free agency and coming to RU and discovering RU sports combined to make baseball irrelevant to me. I'll maybe watch a game or two of the WS each year and that's it.

Same here, but something about opening day is still exciting. I'll pay attention to the standings as long as the Mets are relevant and then get excited again in the fall if they are still in it.

I still watch.....at a minimum baseball is an easy listen to have on in the background. Opening Day is synonymous with spring for me as well. Would agree that society's interest in baseball is on the decline however my 18 year old son follows the Yankees and even takes the train in from NBR-RU with his friends.

I like the changes with pitch clock etc...... but I don't mind the length of the season.

Reactions: Barnaby&Neill
I'll never get tired of baseball.
The pro league that is in the biggest need of an overhaul is the NBA. Totally unwatchable IMHO.

Agree; I try to get back into the NBA, but I think the style of play diminishes the drama of each possession.

Similarly, i don’t think baseball is being played in the most enjoyable form right now. Just so happens I love it too much to sour on it. The rule changes are great. If I’m going to watch a 32 strikeout game (Yankees / Giants yesterday), it’s easier to stay engaged when it’s 2 and half hours instead of 3 or more.

There was a time when great pitching was enjoyable, like watching a brilliant art. Now it feels more like I’m watching futility on the part of the hitters rather than rare brilliance from the pitchers. I miss short swings and balls in play.

Who doesn’t love opening day?! Saw this on MLB network. Love the numbers stuff

If you like baseball and numbers, I'd suggest taking a look at Out of the Park Baseball (OOTP). It's a simulation game that you control teams as the GM. You can tweak numbers situations any way you want.

Here's an article from the Athletic (paywall) about the latest version

Reactions: newell138
Agree; I try to get back into the NBA, but I think the style of play diminishes the drama of each possession.

Similarly, i don’t think baseball is being played in the most enjoyable form right now. Just so happens I love it too much to sour on it. The rule changes are great. If I’m going to watch a 32 strikeout game (Yankees / Giants yesterday), it’s easier to stay engaged when it’s 2 and half hours instead of 3 or more.

There was a time when great pitching was enjoyable, like watching a brilliant art. Now it feels more like I’m watching futility on the part of the hitters rather than rare brilliance from the pitchers. I miss short swings and balls in play.

Agreed. Watching Doc Gooden his first couple years was absolutely beautiful

Agreed. Watching Doc Gooden his first couple years was absolutely beautiful
Years ago when he was the top of his game my Brother was watching #16 pitch from up top at Shea and said he couldn’t see the ball, only heard it hit the catcher’s mitt.

I don’t think I’ve watched a mlb games in 3 years. Couldn’t care less. Thought I heard they have some beer league softball rule now where they put a guy at 2nd base to start extra innings. Is that true?

If you like baseball and numbers, I'd suggest taking a look at Out of the Park Baseball (OOTP). It's a simulation game that you control teams as the GM. You can tweak numbers situations any way you want.

Here's an article from the Athletic (paywall) about the latest version
I will say the APBA game was incredibly realistic and accurate. Not sure if you ever played it, but every player had a card with 36 numbers on it for hitting (the 36 outcomes from rolling two dice) and those numbers each connected to outcome numbers based on how good of a hitter that player was (the more "good" numbers the more hits, home runs, etc. and vice versa). Each dice roll gave a "number" and there were "boards" of outcomes for those numbers depending on who was on base, who the pitcher was and who the ball might've been hit to (as pitchers and fielders also had numbers associated with how good they were).

I'm sure this has all been digitized by now, but for us kids in the 70s, it was like being the manager of 12 teams (there were 24 at the time, so my friend and I each had 12) and we kept stats for every player for every game (batting, pitching and fielding) for a full 162 game season, meaning we had pieces of paper for every team and would keep erasing and updating each field after each game (going through several sheets per season, as the paper wore through from all that erasing).

The one thing we did to try to keep it as realistic as possible is that we knew how many games each player played, so we'd try to duplicate that, so that a sub who didn't have many ABs, but had a great average wouldn't get played every game, making the team "better" than they would've been. When all was said and done the players all came pretty close to their season outcomes for average, homers, extra base hits, errors, wins/strikeouts/ERA, etc. - and the best teams usually wound up in the playoffs and WS. Was a lot of fun.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
I don’t think I’ve watched a mlb games in 3 years. Couldn’t care less. Thought I heard they have some beer league softball rule now where they put a guy at 2nd base to start extra innings. Is that true?
Haven't watched an NBA game all year. Couldn't care less. Used to love the NBA when the players, like West, Oscar, Havlicek, Bird, Willis actually played basketball. Today: look at me, look at me, but don't hurt my feelings.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Haven't watched an NBA game all year. Couldn't care less. Used to love the NBA when the players, like West, Oscar, Havlicek, Bird, Willis actually played basketball. Today: look at me, look at me, but don't hurt my feelings.
Yesteryear,when you could only Listen to games the sounds took you the stadium.The announcer,ball on bat, ball into gloves,sometimes birds chirping,small planes fluttering by,hustle from the infield,cheers for a home run or a close play.The only things missing were the smells of hot dogs and the opening of peanuts.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
ADVERTISEMENT