ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Scoring Question

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Three scenarios with the same question at the end:

1. First batter in an inning walks. Second batter reaches on an error. Third batter hits a three run homer. Are all the runs unearned?

2. First batter reaches on an error, Second batter walks. Third batter hits a three run homer. Are all the runs unearned?

3. Runner on third scores on a wild pitch or a passed ball. Is the run unearned?

I believe the runner(s) who reach base via error and eventually score are considered unearned. Those runners who reach base via hit/walk/ hit by pitch and eventually score would be considered earned runs.

Three scenarios with the same question at the end:

1. First batter in an inning walks. Second batter reaches on an error. Third batter hits a three run homer. Are all the runs unearned?

2. First batter reaches on an error, Second batter walks. Third batter hits a three run homer. Are all the runs unearned?

3. Runner on third scores on a wild pitch or a passed ball. Is the run unearned?
For 1 and 2, depends how many outs. If 2 outs, all unearned because inning would have been over except for error. With less than 2 outs, 2 runs earned (walk and home run).
Run scored on passed ball treated like an error, unearned. Run on wild pitch is an earned run.

Any runner who reaches on error and later scores is unearned. Any two out runs where a batter had reached on error are also unearned. A run scoring on an error is tentatively unearned unless subsequent batters do something that would have scored the run anyway

Exciting codicil- If you change pitchers in an inning and there are unearned runs, the new guy doesnt get the benefit. They are unearned for team but earned for pitcher two.

Cole pitches and retires first two batters. Judge drops fly ball for E-9. Next guy homers. Both unearned. Cole walks next two and Johnny Lasagna comes in. He gives up three run HR. All runs unearned except for the one charged to Loaisiga (and any more he'd give up that inning)

Reactions: retired711
For 1 and 2, depends how many outs. If 2 outs, all unearned because inning would have been over except for error. With less than 2 outs, 2 runs earned (walk and home run).
Run scored on passed ball treated like an error, unearned. Run on wild pitch is an earned run.
The run which scored on the passed ball could be earned, depending on what happens afterwards.

Example: Runner on third scores on a passed ball. Batter hits a home run on next pitch. Both runs are considered earned, because the runs would have been earned had the passed ball not occurred.

The same principle holds when a run scores on a error. Unless, as you say, the error would have been the third out.

One exception to the third out rule: If an error is committed which would have been the third out, and then a relief pitcher comes in, any runs given up by the relief pitcher are considered earned against his personal record, but unearned in the team stats.

EDIT: Wicker pretty much said all of this in his prior post. I immediately responded to the post I cited, without reading through the rest of the thread first. Gotta get out of that habit.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Yes, more information needed, such as that...

The run which scored on the passed ball could be earned, depending on what happens afterwards.

Example: Runner on third scores on a passed ball. Batter hits a home run on next pitch. Both runs are considered earned, because the runs would have been earned had the passed ball not occurred.

The same principle holds when a run scores on a error. Unless, as you say, the error would have been the third out.

One exception to the third out rule: If an error is committed which would have been the third out, and then a relief pitcher comes in, any runs given up by the relief pitcher are considered earned against his personal record, but unearned in the team stats.

EDIT: Wicker pretty much said all of this in his prior post. I immediately responded to the post I cited, without reading through the rest of the thread first. Gotta get out of that habit.
We all do it

Reactions: Barnaby&Neill

Yes, more information needed, such as that...
OP gave that information when he said 1st batter 2nd batter 3rd batter.

Reactions: RickB113
I want to thank everyone for their detailed explanations of this complex scoring rule. I was confused about it but not anymore. Thanks!

Would anyone know if these rules have changed over the years or have they essentially stayed this way for as long as anyone can remember?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT