ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Trivia

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Got this from a MLB.com article.
Sunday J.D. Martinez had a three HR game for Boston. It was the third different team for which he did this.
In baseball history only four other players have had three HR games for three different teams. Name them.
Some hints. One was pre 1955 and is the only one of the four in the HOF.
Another was from the 70s, early 80s.
The last two were post 1995.

Final hint. All four at one time or another played for a NY team. Matter of fact two of them played for two NY teams in the same season, one in the 40s and one in the 70s.

Enough hints. Good luck.

Last edited:
Got this from a MLB.com article.
Sunday J.D. Martinez had a three HR game for Boston. It was the third different team for which he did this.
In baseball history only four other players have had three HR games for three different teams. Name them.
Some hints. One was pre 1955 and is the only one of the four in the HOF.
Another was from the 70s, early 80s.
The last two were post 1995.

Final hint. All four at one time or another played for a NY team. Matter of fact two of them played for two NY teams in the same season, one in the 40s and one in the 70s.

Enough hints. Good luck.
Dave Kingman?

Lucky guess!

In 1977 Kingman actually played for four different teams during that season. He started the season with the Mets and in June was traded to the Padres for Bobby Valentine. In early September the Padres put him on waivers and he was claimed by the Angels who two weeks later traded him to the Yankees. He played eight games for the Yanks at the end of the season. He was released at the end of the post season and ended up signing with the Cubs.
By the way the four teams in one season is not a record which is five. A pitcher named Oliver Drake appeared in games for 5 different teams (Brewers, Indians, Angels,Blue Jays, Twins) in 2018. I had to look that one up.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Thought I saw this recently

Johnny Mize (STL, NYG, NYY)
Dave Kingman (NYM, CHC, OAK)
Alex Rodriguez (SEA, TEX, NYY)
Mark Teixeira (TEX, ATL, NYY)
JD Martinez (DET, ARI, BOS)

Thought I saw this recently

Johnny Mize (STL, NYG, NYY)
Dave Kingman (NYM, CHC, OAK)
Alex Rodriguez (SEA, TEX, NYY)
Mark Teixeira (TEX, ATL, NYY)
JD Martinez (DET, ARI, BOS)

You must have seen it VERY recently as Martinez just did it this weekend.

Johnny Mize is an under appreciated star, .312 lifetime BA, 10X All Star, batting champ, 4x HR champ, top 10 in MVP voting 6 times. All this while losing three years to the war.
BBWAA did not vote him into the HOF??? Inducted by the Veterans Committee.

Last edited:
Here's one I discovered recently:What team is 5-0 in DECISIVE World Series' Game 7'S?(Some Series were best of 9).

Here's one I discovered recently:What team is 5-0 in DECISIVE World Series' Game 7'S?(Some Series were best of 9).

Stlouis Cardinals have It and no one answered sooner here. Sports trivia really is neat, gets everyone roused

New question.

Five players who at one time played with the Yankees have been single season home run leaders for the Padres.
Name them
three easy, one hard, one very hard.

Kingman could be the prototypical modern player. All HR’s and K’s.
I used to wonder how many homeruns Kingman would have had if he played an entire season at a stadium like Wrigley field, and the manager did not pull him from the lineup because of his numerous strikeouts
He would be frustrating, numerous strikeouts, then go on a home run binge

I used to wonder how many homeruns Kingman would have had if he played an entire season at a stadium like Wrigley field, and the manager did not pull him from the lineup because of his numerous strikeouts
He would be frustrating, numerous strikeouts, then go on a home run binge

1979 Kingman led the league in home runs (48) and strikeouts (131) with the Cubs.
Repeated this daily double with the Mets in 1982 with 37 HRs and 156 Ks.

Compare this to 2019 when Pete Alonso led the majors with 53 HRs and 183 Ks!!!!
Kingman doesn't look so bad.

1979 Kingman led the league in home runs (48) and strikeouts (131) with the Cubs.
Repeated this daily double with the Mets in 1982 with 37 HRs and 156 Ks.

Compare this to 2019 when Pete Alonso led the majors with 53 HRs and 183 Ks!!!!
Kingman doesn't look so bad.
I think he would be benched a lot during his slumps. Would have to check

Gary Sheffield? Jack Clark?
Great job on Jack Clark!!!!! Thought that one was going to give people trouble. As for Gary Sheffield as the late Harry Kalas would say "That is a good guess but incorrect." Sheffield was nosed out by McGriff.
The easiest one is still out there. Remember they may have started their career with the Padres and gone to the Yankees.

Great job on Jack Clark!!!!! Thought that one was going to give people trouble. As for Gary Sheffield as the late Harry Kalas would say "That is a good guess but incorrect." Sheffield was nosed out by McGriff.
The easiest one is still out there. Remember they may have started their career with the Padres and gone to the Yankees.
Winfield?

Dave Winfield is the easy one.

OK,time to let it out:Joe Lefebvre in 1981.

Thats right. 1981 strike shortened season Lefebvre led the Pods with I believe 8 HRs.
The fifth one no one guessed and he's the most recent: Chase Headley.

Here's your bonus: When Lefebvre was dealt to the Pads it was part of a multi player deal. Which Padre outfielder did the Yanks get?
Hint: In 1980 he stole 52 bases for SD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4IUSox2
Ok i read that wrong. I thought they lead both teams at one time with each team. Clarke did lead the Yankees one year. The Headly one would have been easy for me. A year or two after the Yankees trade him i remember him going off and hitting 30 something. Don't think he ever broke 15 hr in any other year. Lefebvre I would never got

Reactions: colbert17
Last one for today:Two players are still alive who played for the NY Giants in the Polo Grounds and later for the Mets at Shea.

One is a snap.The second player played for the Red Sox as well.

Thats right. 1981 strike shortened season Lefebvre led the Pods with I believe 8 HRs.
The fifth one no one guessed and he's the most recent: Chase Headley.

Here's your bonus: When Lefebvre was dealt to the Pads it was part of a multi player deal. Which Padre outfielder did the Yanks get?
Hint: In 1980 he stole 52 bases for SD.
Wow! I just looked up that one.It was Mumphrey's only year in San Diego,the most games ever played for him.

Who is the only player to have played for the Boston Braves, the Milwaukee Braves and the Atlanta Braves?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT