ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) 158 years ago today

LC-88

All American
Apr 24, 2010
The bloodiest single day in US military history. A reminder of the sacrifices made by our veterans.

On a personal note, my Great-Great-Grandfather, Pvt. John Stacy, was there on 17SEP62. He was in Company G., 132nd Pennsylvania Infantry. His regiment fought in The Sunken Road that day. The regiment's commander, Colonel Richard Oakford, was KIA there. The 132nd's monument is in the Sunken Road. It has a bronze relief of Col. Oakford on its front.

Sharpsburg/Antietam Battlefield is one of the best preserved and marked battlefield parks in the country.

May all our veterans that have passed rest in peace.

My family and I have been there a few times. Always a great trip. I like the NJ monument to all the Jersey boys who fought there.

Reactions: LC-88
The bloodiest single day in US military history. A reminder of the sacrifices made by our veterans.

On a personal note, my Great-Great-Grandfather, Pvt. John Stacy, was there on 17SEP62. He was in Company G., 132nd Pennsylvania Infantry. His regiment fought in The Sunken Road that day. The regiment's commander, Colonel Richard Oakford, was KIA there. The 132nd's monument is in the Sunken Road. It has a bronze relief of Col. Oakford on its front.

Sharpsburg/Antietam Battlefield is one of the best preserved and marked battlefield parks in the country.

How many times did your relatives unit attack the sunken road ?

Been there a few times. Would stop off on my way home from VA when my mom was in hospice to just meditate about life and death

Reactions: RUonBrain
Visiting the Sunken Road is one of the more powerful experiences you can have at these battlefields. Did the Antietam and Gettysburg trips on the same swing. Fredericksburg, Va. was pretty cool too.

Lincoln summed up my feelings on visiting these battlefields better than I ever could when he said:

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

I am always left in awe when I visit the parks and contemplate what happened there. I've been to Gettysburg (I could spend days there), Antietam, Fredericksburg, Bull Run (I wanted much more time there on my last visit), Chancellorsville, Petersburg, Chickamauga, Kennesaw Mountain, and Shiloh. I'd like to visit Shiloh again and see Vicksburg.

I always think of this line when anyone mentions Antietam:

Men from my hometown fought there in their Hawkins Zouaves uniforms. Surviving supremacists gathered for a reunion in 1886

mT5U0dJ.jpg

The cornfield. Amazing.

How many times did your relatives unit attack the sunken road ?
I'd have to look it up. I think just once. That place chewed up regiments. It was their first engagement.

edit: I have a book about the 132nd PA written in the late 1800's. It's in a box somewhere. If you read about the battle and it mentions Union troops marching through a bunch of bee hives, that was the 132nd on the way to the Sunken Road.

Last edited:
I have yet to make it to Antietam but once this whole thing is over I think I'll go. Great story about your family, thanks for sharing. I had a family member serve in the navy during the civil war. I have a copy of the discharge paper framed in my home office.

I took a special guided tour of Antietam that walked through the fields following the path that the Irish Brigade took as it headed towards the Sunken Road. As we walked up the hill towards the Sunken Road, it was surprising how close we got before we could see what would have been the tops of the confederate battle flags. When the Irish Brigade reached a point where they could see where the southern troops were, they were only about 30 to 40 yards away.

I'd have to look it up. I think just once. That place chewed up regiments. It was their first engagement.
I know the 13th NJVI was one of many Jersey infantry regiments there. They were mustered into service on August 25 , 1862 with a total of 937 men. They left NJ on August 31 1862 for Washington D.C. and then made their way to Va. where they would end up joining The Army of the Potomac. I think they were present at the battle of South Mountain Sept. 14, '62 but I don't think , but not %100, sure they saw combat there. 3 days later they were involved at Antietam/Sharpsburg and I believe they fought near the Dunker church losing over 100 men. Like your relatives unit this also seems to be the first time the 13th saw the elephant.
On a side note my son and I are civil war reenactors with the 12th NJVI. I am an infantry man , my son a drummer. It's a great way to see these fields , learn history and honor those brave and great men like your relative. God bless him !

I finally made it to Antietam last summer. It was well worth the trip. Thanks for posting.
Took a guided tour of Antietam with Professor McPherson about a decade ago (he was doing CW battleground tours via the Princeton Adult School). Amazing experience. Saw everything and most importantly, heard about everything from the Professor.

Reactions: goru1869
Visiting the Sunken Road is one of the more powerful experiences you can have at these battlefields. Did the Antietam and Gettysburg trips on the same swing. Fredericksburg, Va. was pretty cool too.
+1
Amazing experience to visit the Sunken Road. IIRC, the observation tower is positioned so you can get a view right down the road.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I took a special guided tour of Antietam that walked through the fields following the path that the Irish Brigade took as it headed towards the Sunken Road. As we walked up the hill towards the Sunken Road, it was surprising how close we got before we could see what would have been the tops of the confederate battle flags. When the Irish Brigade reached a point where they could see where the southern troops were, they were only about 30 to 40 yards away.
Spottsylvania Court House battlefield is the same way. Federal units attacking the mule shoe were almost on top of the rebs before they saw them coming because of the way the land is. The 15th NJVI got hammered there. There is a monument at that battlefield in their honor and at Salem Church. At Spottsylvania they suffered 272 killed , wounded , or captured. Salem Church they had 154 killed , wounded or captured. They ended up being in the top ten as far as casualties goes in the Federal army. The 1st NJ brigade , who they were attached to, ended up having the 4th most casualties of all brigades in the Federal army during the war.

Reactions: Onceler
Lincoln summed up my feelings on visiting these battlefields better than I ever could when he said:

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

I am always left in awe when I visit the parks and contemplate what happened there. I've been to Gettysburg (I could spend days there), Antietam, Fredericksburg, Bull Run (I wanted much more time there on my last visit), Chancellorsville, Petersburg, Chickamauga, Kennesaw Mountain, and Shiloh. I'd like to visit Shiloh again and see Vicksburg.
+1
Would love to visit Shiloh.

Rode my motorcycle there after leaving Gettysburg and heading west on a road trip. My two priorities were seeing Sunken Road and to photograph Burnsides Bridge. Sunken road and the observation tower on it is amazing. Unfortunately I could not get close to Burnsides Bridge and it was covered in scaffolding presumably for refurbishment. I will most definitely be back.

Rode my motorcycle there after leaving Gettysburg and heading west on a road trip. My two priorities were seeing Sunken Road and to photograph Burnsides Bridge. Sunken road and the observation tower on it is amazing. Unfortunately I could not get close to Burnsides Bridge and it was covered in scaffolding presumably for refurbishment. I will most definitely be back.
I crossed the bridge last summer. I think there are trees by the bridge that were there during the battle. Seeing the terrain, it's hard to imagine trying to cross the bridge under fire.

I know the 13th NJVI was one of many Jersey infantry regiments there. They were mustered into service on August 25 , 1862 with a total of 937 men. They left NJ on August 31 1862 for Washington D.C. and then made their way to Va. where they would end up joining The Army of the Potomac. I think they were present at the battle of South Mountain Sept. 14, '62 but I don't think , but not %100, sure they saw combat there. 3 days later they were involved at Antietam/Sharpsburg and I believe they fought near the Dunker church losing over 100 men. Like your relatives unit this also seems to be the first time the 13th saw the elephant.
On a side note my son and I are civil war reenactors with the 12th NJVI. I am an infantry man , my son a drummer. It's a great way to see these fields , learn history and honor those brave and great men like your relative. God bless him !
The 13th NJ was on the right of the 2nd Mass (Glory battle scene) attacking towards the West Woods.

I was a reenactor from 92 to 01. Ironically my first reenactment was the 130th Antietam at Monmouth Battlefield. I was with the 8th Virginia at the time. Was also with the 3rd NJ, and 15th NJ (NSSA). I moved to NC in 94 and joined the 26th NC. Did infantry. Switched to horse drawn artillery - Reilly's Battery "D" 1st NC arty. We also did Federal horse drawn "D" 5th US. Was at the 135th G'burg doing gray arty. 3rd day/"Picketts Charge", We rode out and unlimbered half way towards the Union line and opened fire with our two 10-lbr Parrots. We ceased fire as the gray infantry passed around us heading to the blue line. One of the most incredible sights I've ever witnessed. A thing of beauty.

I miss reenacting. One of the only things that ever took the stress of life away for me. I forgot about my problems and work as I humped my gear in Friday afternoon until I got back in my car Sunday afternoon.

So glad your son is involved. Mine was too young at the time. Stay safe.

The 13th NJ was on the right of the 2nd Mass (Glory battle scene) attacking towards the West Woods.

I was a reenactor from 92 to 01. Ironically my first reenactment was the 130th Antietam at Monmouth Battlefield. I was with the 8th Virginia at the time. Was also with the 3rd NJ, and 15th NJ (NSSA). I moved to NC in 94 and joined the 26th NC. Did infantry. Switched to horse drawn artillery - Reilly's Battery "D" 1st NC arty. We also did Federal horse drawn "D" 5th US. Was at the 135th G'burg doing gray arty. 3rd day/"Picketts Charge", We rode out and unlimbered half way towards the Union line and opened fire with our two 10-lbr Parrots. We ceased fire as the gray infantry passed around us heading to the blue line. One of the most incredible sights I've ever witnessed. A thing of beauty.

I miss reenacting. One of the only things that ever took the stress of life away for me. I forgot about my problems and work as I humped my gear in Friday afternoon until I got back in my car Sunday afternoon.

So glad your son is involved. Mine was too young at the time. Stay safe.
I was also at those reenactments you mentioned. Alot of great memories ! Even spent one night in the reb. camp at an Antietam reenactment after drinking a few with them. Stumbled back to the Federal camp the next morning. Met alot of great people doing this. Not much going on this year because of the virus. But my unit is going to Gettysburg in November to do a ceremony at the Jersey section of the cemetery and the 12ths monument then out to the Bliss barn site. Remembrance day was cancelled this year we still want to continue on with these things we do every year during this weekend. About 20 of us will be there. We even rented a few house's.

Very cool. I was a part-time Licensed Battlefield Guide there from 95-98. Need to get back more.

PS: I still have all my gear, and it still fits. :) Used to do hard core under the stars with blanket and poncho. Maybe once more.....

Very cool. I was a part-time Licensed Battlefield Guide there from 95-98. Need to get back more.

PS: I still have all my gear, and it still fits. :) Used to do hard core under the stars with blanket and poncho. Maybe once more.....
Still alot to learn and very fun . My son and I share a dog tent. NO A frame for us !

I’m a former reenactor as well. I was with the 7th NJ. And still have all of my gear.

I’m a former reenactor as well. I was with the 7th NJ. And still have all of my gear.
Well you paid alot of money for it. I am sure you learned alot, had alot of fun and made alot of friends. Your country needs you. What are you waiting for ? REENLIST !

Landscape Turned Red- Stephen W. Sears.

Like The Wheatfield at Gettysburg, print out a good set of maps showing troop positions throughout the day for each sub-engagement. As your read, you will be less confused as to who was going where, and what direction they were attacking in. Chaos for the most part. The maps in the book are good, but it's a pain to keep flipping around as you read.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10

Like The Wheatfield at Gettysburg, print out a good set of maps showing troop positions throughout the day for each sub-engagement. As your read, you will be less confused as to who was going where, and what direction they were attacking in. Chaos for the most part.
I have read a few of his books. One of my favorite books is about the peninsula campaign of 1862 "To the Gates of Richmond " He made it very easy to read and understand. The war should have ended but a certain general who became gov. of NJ let victory slip away. My favorite author on the civil war .

Last edited:
Kicked Lee out of Maryland (I really meant Maryland and not Virginia) and set the stage for Emancipation Proclamation. A truly momentous battle.

Last edited:

well said....

I have a (distant) cousin who fought in Hood's Brigade at Sharpsburg and later Gettysburg (wounded), Fredericksburg and lost his leg at the Battle of Chickamauga - at least according to the Widow's Application for Confederate Pension I have...

Great Grandfather was a surgeon in the 22 Mississippi "Black Hawk Rifles" Company. We have his letters home from the front (and yes, just one "Great"; my Dad knew him). Some amazing stories, including one about moving the company away from a cholera outbreak. You did not want to be injured in the Civil War. My favorite story from my Great Grandfather was from his diary when he was at medical school at the University of New Orleans: "16 hours straight of surgery today. Then went to town for some horizontal refreshment." Good on ya, Great Grandad.

Lost a great great great uncle at the Battle of Savage's Station near Fredericksburg (where Skillethead, Jr. now lives). Also had ancestors in the Union army, but know less about them.

well said....

I have a (distant) cousin who fought in Hood's Brigade at Sharpsburg and later Gettysburg (wounded), Fredericksburg and lost his leg at the Battle of Chickamauga - at least according to the Widow's Application for Confederate Pension I have...
One of the best brigades in the war. 1st, 4th, 5th TX, 3rd Arkansas (basically). If I recall one of the 3rd Arkansas' companies was from Kentucky.

One of the best brigades in the war. 1st, 4th, 5th TX, 3rd Arkansas (basically). If I recall one of the 3rd Arkansas' companies was from Kentucky.
Company G, 5 Regiment - Texas Infantry (The Milam County Grays)

Last edited:

Like The Wheatfield at Gettysburg, print out a good set of maps showing troop positions throughout the day for each sub-engagement. As your read, you will be less confused as to who was going where, and what direction they were attacking in. Chaos for the most part. The maps in the book are good, but it's a pain to keep flipping around as you read.
You could also look for “Antietam The Soldiers Battle” by John Priest

ADVERTISEMENT