ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beehive Removal Service Recs

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
Yesterday I discover, hidden in a bush immediately outside my front door, a yellow-jacket beehive that is pretty big, hanging about five feet off the ground but completely invisible from all directions. I had no idea it was there even though I'd been walking past it a bunch of times per day, as well as using the recycling bin directly under the bush. Then yesterday afternoon one of these mafvckas decides to sting me, so now it's game on. Evidently it's busy season for pest control services since only one company, Viking, answered my calls. They quoted me $339 to get rid of it.

Anyone with experience getting rid of these things? A neighbor suggested I go to Home Depot and get a can of bee/wasp spray, but the bush looks like it will block the spray due to the hive's location within the bush. I am also toying with the idea of putting on my thick winter gear (think: Rutgers football game in late November), covering my face and every other body part, smashing it with a rake or some such thing, then diving back in the house.

Neither solution sounds appealing, though I'm leaning towards calling around for more quotes in the hope that someone cutely picks up their phone. Anyone with recs? I'm in the Bedminster/Basking Ridge area. TIA!

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I've always kind of liked discovering stuff hidden behind bushes.

Yesterday I discover, hidden in a bush immediately outside my front door, a yellow-jacket beehive that is pretty big, hanging about five feet off the ground but completely invisible from all directions. I had no idea it was there even though I'd been walking past it a bunch of times per day, as well as using the recycling bin directly under the bush. Then yesterday afternoon one of these mafvckas decides to sting me, so now it's game on. Evidently it's busy season for pest control services since only one company, Viking, answered my calls. They quoted me $339 to get rid of it.

Anyone with experience getting rid of these things? A neighbor suggested I go to Home Depot and get a can of bee/wasp spray, but the bush looks like it will block the spray due to the hive's location within the bush. I am also toying with the idea of putting on my thick winter gear (think: Rutgers football game in late November), covering my face and every other body part, smashing it with a rake or some such thing, then diving back in the house.

Neither solution sounds appealing, though I'm leaning towards calling around for more quotes in the hope that someone cutely picks up their phone. Anyone with recs? I'm in the Bedminster/Basking Ridge area. TIA!
They’ll all likely be attached to your clothing when you run inside… Yellow jackets are super aggressive. I’ve only been stung by bees on one occasion and it was by two yellow jackets at once. Please take video of this option should you choose it…

Reactions: RUDutch and alden1
I think the correct approach here is to use the buddy system. Get a buddy to use a rake to knock the beehive down. Then get another buddy to drive the first buddy to the hospital, come back and spray bee poison all over the hive.

Cheap solution, but this is not professional or legal advice.

Get a piece of 10 ft PVC pipe from Home Depot or another home goods store. If you want to be extra safe, get two pieces and mate them together, but 20 ft may sag.

Buy painter's coveralls. Have gloves

Have a can of spray that shoots a distance.

Suit up with the coveralls and gloves, advance with your pipe, with the can of spray in a pocket. Knock the next down and spray away.

Another option, if you or your neighbor has one, is to use a pole/hedge trimmer (EGO makes one that we have), and cut a hole out so you can spray the nest.

Links below. Good luck.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
They’ll all likely be attached to your clothing when you run inside… Yellow jackets are super aggressive. I’ve only been stung by bees on one occasion and it was by two yellow jackets at once. Please take video of this option should you choose it…
The caveat is that I can almost hit the bush with a rake while standing in my doorway, so it's about a one-second turnaround to be in the house with the door closed. The followup is what concerns me--even if I'm successful knocking it down, what happens then? Do they keep tying to rebuild in the same bush? If so, I'm going with the removal service.

If all else fails:

800px-M1A1_Abrams_Tank_in_Camp_Fallujah.JPEG

Get a piece of 10 ft PVC pipe from Home Depot or another home goods store. If you want to be extra safe, get two pieces and mate them together, but 20 ft may sag.

Suit up with the coveralls and gloves, advance with your pipe, with the can of spray in a pocket. Knock the next down and spray away.

Another option, if you or your neighbor has one, is to use a pole/hedge trimmer (EGO makes one that we have), and cut a hole out so you can spray the nest.

Links below. Good luck.

He may need some legal advice if he turns a hive full of pissed off yellow jackets loose on his neighborhood.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa

Links below. Good luck.

Funny you say this, as this was going to be my primary option if I go to Home Depot to get a can of bee spray. Two 10' sections, a coupling, and fire away.

Sounds like bald-faced hornets. Yellowjackets build their nests in the ground or in crevices, wood piles, etc. I had a yellowjacket nest removed by Truly Nolen a couple years back, and my buddy had two hornet nests removed by the same technician. They were cheaper than Terminix who I have a service contract with. $275.

The caveat is that I can almost hit the bush with a rake while standing in my doorway, so it's about a one-second turnaround to be in the house with the door closed. The followup is what concerns me--even if I'm successful knocking it down, what happens then? Do they keep tying to rebuild in the same bush? If so, I'm going with the removal service.
Language in video NSFW. But it can't be worse than the Beehive Limo from Jackass. RIP Ryan Dunne:

Funny you say this, as this was going to be my primary option if I go to Home Depot to get a can of bee spray. Two 10' sections, a coupling, and fire away.
Great minds think alike. The older I get, the more inclined I am to take on these challenges myself. I'm getting stupider with age?

Sounds like bald-faced hornets. Yellowjackets build their nests in the ground or in crevices, wood piles, etc. I had a yellowjacket nest removed by Truly Nolen a couple years back, and my buddy had two hornet nests removed by the same technician. They were cheaper than Terminix who I have a service contract with. $275.
Alright, sounds like the quote I was given was reasonable. Of course my HOA doesn't return anyone's calls ever, so I may hire. service and submit the bill to the HOA, which of course they won't pay.

Links below. Good luck.

If you're going to DIY it Leeroy Jenkins style, be smart and do it at night when all the wasps are back in the nest.

He may need some legal advice if he turns a hive full of pissed off yellow jackets loose on his neighborhood.
I only do patents and trademarks.

I have already patented the method of using a PVC pipe, paint coveralls and bee spray to remediate a bee hive in a bush, so if anyone uses that method, please contact me for a royalty agreement. For my friends on Knight Report, you get a discounted license fee of $500 per use.

Alright, sounds like the quote I was given was reasonable. Of course my HOA doesn't return anyone's calls ever, so I may hire. service and submit the bill to the HOA, which of course they won't pay.
An HOA. I have some advice on how to get rid of those pests too. Move. Twice in my life. Second time was a huge misunderstanding. Never again. I'd rather be locked inside a limo with 50,000 hornets with no escape.

Only things I know is that they are probably. Not yellow jackets. ( as someone else’s said they generally meat on the ground. And if you are going to shot bee spray in the near do it at night or very early in the morning and make sure that you hit the entrance. Some nests have 2 entrances make sure you have enough spray and you locate the entrance

Go ahead and hire the service but tell the service you'll give 'em $100 extra to clip the nest free and drop it into the HOA office.

Only things I know is that they are probably. Not yellow jackets. ( as someone else’s said they generally meat on the ground. And if you are going to shot bee spray in the near do it at night or very early in the morning and make sure that you hit the entrance. Some nests have 2 entrances make sure you have enough spray and you locate the entrance
This is good advice. There can be two entrances behind the bush. It's important to locate them both and choose the correct one.

Update: Viking Pest Control is coming out this afternoon to spray, then will return in a week to remove the hive itself. Service costs $339 and is good for two months, such that if any of these yellow flying dildos survive and try to rebuild, it's Viking to the rescue.

Update: Viking Pest Control is coming out this afternoon to spray, then will return in a week to remove the hive itself. Service costs $339 and is good for two months, such that if any of these yellow flying dildos survive and try to rebuild, it's Viking to the rescue.
What happened to the guy who liked to do these things himself?

What happened to the guy who liked to do these things himself?
I’m a Rutgers man, and, as we know, Rutgers men are full of internal conflict. Such conflict results in phone calls and giving credit card numbers.

Last edited:
The guy from Viking brought the firepower and pumped over a gallon of stuff into the hive. There was some activity for a little while, but it's now twenty minutes later and there is virtually nothing going on near the hive. Turns out they were hornets (yellow jackets), which ordinarily have ground nests but occasionally build one above ground. He recommended not using the front door through the weekend, and of course I will heed that advice until at least this evening.

Reactions: rurichdog
Had a nest of yellow jackets (which are wasps not bees) in my lawn a couple of years ago - didn’t realize it until I ran over it with a lawnmower and got bit a few times. Went back at night with a can of wasp spray and emptied it in the hole

If you try that can you film and have someone post it here so we can all see the video of your demise.

All I can say is don't try this method. If it was recorded, I would have won America's Funniest Home Videos. I had a peach tree with a White-Faced Hornets nest. Couldn't spray the tree as the peaches were just about ripe and would have ruined the harvest.

So I set up a five gallon bucket under the nest and filled the bottom with wasp and hornet spray.(nest maybe 4' off ground) Have long pruning clippers about 8' long and another can of spray next to me. Easy right, snip the nest off, falls into bucket of spray then spray with the rest of the can. I'm a Genius.

Well apparently, I ordered all this stuff from Acme and the Wile E. Coyote moment ensued. I snip the nest it clips a branch on the way down hits the side of the bucket knocking it over. I proceed to drop the clippers to run, trip over the can pf spray and down I go. Now these bastards are on my ass, one gets me on the arm and it's a full out sprint to the house. Sheer Genius I tell ya.

If you see this be very careful:
ter-insects-bald-faced-hornet-2A.jpg

Bald-Faced Hornets and they are nasty MFers.

dave_webb_31772866657_d0a4e378f2_b.jpg
The top pic is right, the bottom one isn’t what the flying critters looked like. There were yellow jackets and much smaller things that looked like half-size yellow jackets.

The top pic is right, the bottom one isn’t what the flying critters looked like. There were yellow jackets and much smaller things that looked like half-size yellow jackets.
Pittsburgh-Bald-Faced-Hornet-Removal-300x218.jpg

For size comparison.

eastern%20yellowjacket_th3X7lH.jpg

Look them up and be careful if it is them.

ADVERTISEMENT