ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Cover

One of my favorite surprise moments at a concert is when the band does a cover. Some do and some don't and even the ones that do don't always include one, so I'm always waiting and hoping. So, last night the Old 97s did a heartfelt cover of the Buzzcocks' "I Don't Mind," (in honor of recently departed frontman, Pete Shelley) and said a few nice words about how they had been an inspiration for the band in their early days. Was kind of cool that they just added it to last night's set - supposedly this was the first time they've covered that song.

In addition, Rhett Miller, the frontman for the Old 97s, was last night's opening act and he delivered an awesome solo, acoustic cover of Tom Petty's "American Girl" (my favorite Petty song) - it was "acoustic" but he had that guitar turned way up and played it loud and fast.

Reactions: angmo and Peteyd
Of course, there's maybe the most famous cover ever - and for good reason, as it definitely improves upon Dylan's original. I'm sure a few Dylan fans will disagree, but even Dylan made it clear Hendrix's version was better:

Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day." In the booklet accompanying his Biograph album, Dylan said: "I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

I don't post often but I lurk multiple times each day......I always notice our taste in music is very similar. I'm going to see the Bronx tomorrow night, check them out if you haven't already.
Have heard of them, but didn't know their music. Just sampled several songs - great stuff! Here's the funny coincidence. Just yesterday a friend of mine posted about the Camp Anarchy 3-day punk festival in Columbus Ohio in June and he listed the Bronx as one of the bands he wanted to see most. My top picks for the festival are probably Rancid, the Damned, X and Bad Religion - need to convince my wife and son to make the road trip.

https://consequenceofsound.net/festival/camp-anarchy-2019/

Have heard of them, but didn't know their music. Just sampled several songs - great stuff! Here's the funny coincidence. Just yesterday a friend of mine posted about the Camp Anarchy 3-day punk festival in Columbus Ohio in June and he listed the Bronx as one of the bands he wanted to see most. My top picks for the festival are probably Rancid, the Damned, X and Bad Religion - need to convince my wife and son to make the road trip.

I see Rancid every time they tour in the NYC area, love them. Wyldlife is opening for the Bronx tomorrow night, they're pretty good too. Also agree with you about White Eagle Hall, been there several times already, saw the Hold Steady and the Bosstones there. Maybe we'll cross paths at a show sometime.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Damn..I love each of these bands, NOFX especially. Why must it be in Ohio?? Was in HS in the 90s so this music, skateboarders with green hair and piercings was my thing. Ahh nostalgia.

Damn..I love each of these bands, NOFX especially. Why must it be in Ohio??

Yeah, helluva lineup. It is a campground, so just make it a mini-vacation. Once our son sees this, I suspect he and his friends will be making a road trip for this one (we're marginally "cool" as parents, based on the fact that he'll go to shows with us, but we're still parents, lol)

I see Rancid every time they tour in the NYC area, love them. Wyldlife is opening for the Bronx tomorrow night, they're pretty good too. Also agree with you about White Eagle Hall, been there several times already, saw the Hold Steady and the Bosstones there. Maybe we'll cross paths at a show sometime.

Saw Rancid in 95, I believe, at the old Fastlane in AP - fantastic show, featuring the most violent mosh pit I've probably ever seen (I stayed on the edge, throwing people back in, lol - too crazy for me when I was in my early 30s). Speaking of WEH, likely going to see the Chills there this spring...

I don't post often but I lurk multiple times each day......I always notice our taste in music is very similar. I'm going to see the Bronx tomorrow night, check them out if you haven't already.
Wow. Never heard of the Bronx, and I don't know why. Just listened to a few songs, and that is right in my wheelhouse--loud and aggressive.
I don't ever hear them on Faction Punk, and it seems they would fit in there.

Will try. But it is a high hill for my mind to climb. Between the wahh ahhh ahhh ahh, and the mauling of slow songs my mind is closed.
Saw them live at PNC few years ago and will see them with my daughter in February. Again they are not for everyone. Listen to the song, “The light”. Spoke the words to my mom, as I held her hand as she lay dying in the hospital. She could not speak but tried to lift my hand to her mouth to kiss it. Off Evolution, Hold onto Memories, answers so many questions I have had about death. Few bands to me can elicit so much emotion.

I will go with ELO and "roll over beethoven"....

anyone can just sing a song done by others and put a little of their own flair into it, but ELO
was genius incorporating actual beethoven into it

and it came out pretty well, particularly the 8 minute extended version

ADVERTISEMENT