ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Cover

Here is another great cover IMO:

Very good (Social Distortion's "cover of Johnny Cash's? "Ring of Fire") Just thought of Social D but couldn't think of any offhand. BTW on a thread a few years back I called Social D the most underrated band out there. Never played arenas (though headed? a festival in Asbury Park/elsewhere) sand perhaps Tony Hawk's skateboard festival (background 'house" band?).

"Ball and Chain" is my favorite though. One of the best live albums ever. "Somewhere Between Heaven and hell" was a great record. I learned about Social D because Bruce mentioned them years ago in "Rolling Stone".

Last edited:
Reactions: wisr01
Most of the best covers have already been mentioned here.
My top five would be:
1. Jimi Hendrix...."All Along The Watchtower"
2. The Allman Brothers Band...."Whipping Post"
3. Janis Joplin....."Ball And Chain"
4. Jeff Buckley...."Hallelujah"
5. Sinead O'Connor..."Nothing Compares 2 U"

I'm sure I'll remember some later that I should have included.

I think Gregg Allman wrote whipping post. Maybe you meant Statesboro Blues?

I think Gregg Allman wrote whipping post. Maybe you meant Statesboro Blues?
Oops. I always get those two tunes mixed up. Each occupies one side of the double album from their big Fillmore East shows when they just hit big.
I meant "You Don't Love Me".
I was actually at one of those shows. They played all night. Duane Allman was The Man.

Oops. I always get those two tunes mixed up. Each occupies one side of the double album from their big Fillmore East shows when they just hit big.
I meant "You Don't Love Me".
I was actually at one of those shows. They played all night. Duane Allman was The Man.

Would have liked to see Duane play live. He had a lot left in him. Shame.

I can't believe I forgot Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold The World

Liam Gallagher -- Carnation (The Jam)

I love the Jam, and this version might be better than the original.

Dave Matthews Cover by Stevie Nicks..."Sweet like candy to my soul"...

Another great one...from the Sixties... is a cover of Donovan's "Season of the Witch" by Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper on an album titled Supersession

You know, on the way home from church this evening (that was for you @rutgersdave), I was singing this in the car, and I thought, hey that's a cover; now would be a good time for that one:

What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?

Elvis Costello and the Attractions

You know, on the way home from church this evening (that was for you @rutgersdave), I was singing this in the car, and I thought, hey that's a cover; now would be a good time for that one:

What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?

Elvis Costello and the Attractions

I love that tune.
I saw them many years ago in Monclair. Great night.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
Cover of Andra Day’s ‘Rise Up’ by Morissete Amon. One of the greatest voices I have ever heard.

Reactions: RUfromSoCal?
Didn't read the thread, don't have to.
Best cover ever is the Allman Brothers "Stormy Monday" from the Live at Filmore East concerts. This conversation is really about the battle for 2nd place.

Reactions: Kbee3
House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (1964) has always been one of my favorite covers.

Reactions: Kbee3
Didn't read the thread, don't have to.
Best cover ever is the Allman Brothers "Stormy Monday" from the Live at Filmore East concerts. This conversation is really about the battle for 2nd place.
That’s a great cover of an iconic song. T Bone Walker did the original and there have some great covers. The Allman’s version on the live album has a few jazz chords added and they slow the tempo down a bit.

Talking Heads "Take me to the River"

Probably a top 5 cover for me...

I have a playlist of about 80 covers - love covers done well and especially those that aren't a carbon copy of the original, like this one and English Beat's "Tears of a Clown," and Hendrix's cover of "All Along the Watchtower." Throw in "Hurt" by Johnny Cash and The Clash's cover of "I Fought the Law" and that's a good first guess at my all-time top 5 covers.

You know, Rutgers does a pretty good cover of "On the Banks of the Old Dundee."

Also liked Linda Ronstadt’s version of “Different Drum” by Mike Nesmith.

To add a different perspective, the best “non cover”, many are familiar with Steve Miller Band’s cover of”Jet Airliner”. The original tune was written by Paul Pena several years earlier. In my opinion his tune not only is better than the cover, it features some of the best blues based rock guitar playing I’ve heard.

ADVERTISEMENT