ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Cover

To add a different perspective, the best “non cover”, many are familiar with Steve Miller Band’s cover of”Jet Airliner”. The original tune was written by Paul Pena several years earlier. In my opinion his tune not only is better than the cover, it features some of the best blues based rock guitar playing I’ve heard.

I agree. Never heard it before but that original is better.

In the same category, here are two originals from Jack Lee that I might likelike better than the covers:

Three covers for the price of one, from three of the best voices you will hear. Jona, Klarisse, and Morissette

Reactions: Jm0513
lead singer is an RU grad

So everyone knows I dont like much new music but what so great about the 60s through 90s is that you can start going deeper into the catalogue of your favorites some songs you never knew existed.

I always loved this song by Fleetwood Mac called Hypnotized which was pre Stevie/Lindsay era, sung and written by Bob Welch was a minor rock radio hit for them. Definitely was a nod of what was to come with Stevie/Lindsey. its an intoxicating song that puts you in a trance and apparently about UFOs

When Anita Pointer recently died at the start of the year I started going and listening to Pointer Sisters stuff and they did a lot of rock stuff in the 70s before finally settling on their sound. Their one album called Energy I think from 1978 was full of covers including the #2 hit Fire which was a cover of the Bruce song but I was shocked to find that they actually did a cover of Hypnotized and each one who has a distinctive voice sang lead on each of the 3 verses. Loving this and its so different from their 80s and I like even better than Fleetwood Mac version. Waddy Wachtel on guitar here too.

Last edited:
So everyone knows I dont like much new music but what so great about the 60s through 90s is that you can start going deeper into the catalogue of your favorites some songs you never knew existed.

I always loved this song by Fleetwood Mac called Hypnotized which was pre Stevie/Lindsay era, sung and written by Bob Welch was a minor rock radio hit for them. Definitely was a nod of what was to come with Stevie/Lindsey. its an intoxicating song that puts you in a trance and apparently about UFOs

When Anita Pointer recently died at the start of the year I started going and listening to Pointer Sisters stuff and they did a lot of rock stuff in the 70s before finally settling on their sound. Their one album called Energy I think from 1978 was full of covers including the #2 hit Fire which was a cover of the Bruce song but I was shocked to find that they actually did a cover of Hypnotized and each one who has a distinctive voice sang lead on each of the 3 verses. Loving this and its so different from their 80s and I like even better than Fleetwood Mac version. Waddy Wachtel on guitar here too.

Hypnotized sounds much better while stoned and listening on headphones. And here's a cover surprise for most, I assume: Fleetwood Mac wrote "Black Magic Woman" (Peter Green of FM wrote it) in 1968, which became much more famous when Santana covered it in 1970, putting their own sound/spin on it.

Bob Welch also did "Sentimental Lady" when he was in Fleetwood Mac in 1972. Five years later he was solo and re-did the song and it became a big hit.

Welch recorded it with Danny Kirwan. Christine McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood.

The solo version he did with Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwood.

I think the solo version sounded richer... better.

Reactions: bac2therac
Hypnotized sounds much better while stoned and listening on headphones. And here's a cover surprise for most, I assume: Fleetwood Mac wrote "Black Magic Woman" (Peter Green of FM wrote it) in 1968, which became much more famous when Santana covered it in 1970, putting their own sound/spin on it.
"Hypnotized" performed at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ in 1975:

Bob Welch also did "Sentimental Lady" when he was in Fleetwood Mac in 1972. Five years later he was solo and re-did the song and it became a big hit.

Welch recorded it with Danny Kirwan. Christine McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood.

The solo version he did with Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwood.

I think the solo version sounded richer... better.

Agree...better production. Still great song. He was very underrated

Is this from experience?

I used to have this on a long lost EP. Glad they finally put it on YouTube…

This goes back a ways. Looked nobody mentioned "Tainted Love", done by Gloria Jones in 1964 and covered by Soft Cell about 20 years later.

Reactions: bac2therac
Yeah, helluva lineup. It is a campground, so just make it a mini-vacation. Once our son sees this, I suspect he and his friends will be making a road trip for this one (we're marginally "cool" as parents, based on the fact that he'll go to shows with us, but we're still parents, lol)
Doing stuff with your kids is great. The wife and I have been taking ours to concerts and shows from very young. I hear all these story's about kids who want no part of being around their parents. We can't shake ours!😂
Wife starts planning something for us to do and the kids are like "what weekend is that?". Same with travel.

Reactions: Jm0513 and RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT