ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Football Helmet for HS Football?

Best Football Helmet for HS Football?

• Riddell Speed Flex

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Riddell Speed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schutt F7

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Schutt Vengence

• Xenith Shadow

• Other

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

tico brown

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
What is the best (not popular) Football Helmet available for HS players?
- Riddell Speed Flex
- Riddell Speed
- Schutt F7
- Schutt Vengence
- Other

Discuss

The Riddell with foam padding wrapped in plastic that once it got below 50 degrees became 30 little bricks inside the helmet. Those were not fun putting on in winter.

I wore a Riddell for 8 years but none of these recent ones. Still, I look at 2 things - the weight and the ear pad.

A few years ago, 2 or 3 helmets were popping off every game. That was because Riddell took out the ear/cheek pad that was under the ear, and that kept helmets from popping off (the "Revolution" model did this). Without that pad under the ear, helmets were popping off like crazy.

Next is the weight issue. The most important thing in contact football is to keep your head up. The spine has no protection from a blow that comes straight from the top. You never tackle or block with your head down (that's what did LeGrand in).

If a helmet is too heavy its hard to keep the head up - especially for young layers. With the concussion hysteria, some other helmets are being padded so much they weigh a lot more. Most helmets seem to be around 3-4 pounds but some go over 4 and even hit 5. I would rather get a concussion than get a helmet to the face after my gear flew off

RIDELL REVOLUTION = NO EARPAD

ma5xJLX.jpg

SCHUTT VENGENCE WITH EARPAD

g47GwwF.jpg

Old chart with weights (the Vengence is 3.8 pounds ..I didn't look up the others

Last edited:
I am a zealot on proper technique on tackling.

So much that I would teach how to tackle WITHOUT a helmet FIRST.
Second; The neck muscles are some of the easiest to build up. 4 way exercises with a towel and your partners knee for left/right and up/down sets of 8-10 seconds per rep is an easy way to increase neck strength/size to reduce whip lash and 'stingers' from improper tech.

Ducking your head instead of looking for your impact point and then sliding your head to the side is a sure fire way to a neck/head injury.

IT DISGUSTS me to see these chickenpoop DB's trying for a "kill' shot on REC over the middle. Using the helmet for a weapon should be automatic expulsion for the game and next, second offense add a game, third you're GAWN for the season.

Riddell, I remember when our high school had their rep come around and measure everyone for the new helmet. (1960's) The helmet order came in and my helmet would NOT fit. Dad, was my Head Coach, was sure that it was MY fault and tried to jam that thing onto my head, but it would NOT fit.
The rep came back and remeasured, my head had grown as I had had a growth spurt from 5' 10" and 150 to 6' 4" and 195. So Dad forgave me as he had been worried that I would be "Kirk" sized (my Mom's family were all wee Scots.) and was happy that I had grown.

Csonka was getting bad headaches in Miami his rookie year and the Doc's were clueless. The trainer saw his forehead and the bruises and swelling. "Larry does your helmet fit ? It looks tight."
Larry said it was the biggest helmet the team had in stock. Trainer called Syracuse and had a manager fly the Syracuse helmet (it was a special order from Riddell) to Miami. Repainted the helmet fish colors and that was the helmet he used his entire NFL career, took it with him and had it repainted as necessary.

Reactions: tico brown
I am a zealot on proper technique on tackling.

So much that I would teach how to tackle WITHOUT a helmet FIRST.
Second; The neck muscles are some of the easiest to build up. 4 way exercises with a towel and your partners knee for left/right and up/down sets of 8-10 seconds per rep is an easy way to increase neck strength/size to reduce whip lash and 'stingers' from improper tech.

Ducking your head instead of looking for your impact point and then sliding your head to the side is a sure fire way to a neck/head injury.

IT DISGUSTS me to see these chickenpoop DB's trying for a "kill' shot on REC over the middle. Using the helmet for a weapon should be automatic expulsion for the game and next, second offense add a game, third you're GAWN for the season.

Riddell, I remember when our high school had their rep come around and measure everyone for the new helmet. (1960's) The helmet order came in and my helmet would NOT fit. Dad, was my Head Coach, was sure that it was MY fault and tried to jam that thing onto my head, but it would NOT fit.
The rep came back and remeasured, my head had grown as I had had a growth spurt from 5' 10" and 150 to 6' 4" and 195. So Dad forgave me as he had been worried that I would be "Kirk" sized (my Mom's family were all wee Scots.) and was happy that I had grown.

Csonka was getting bad headaches in Miami his rookie year and the Doc's were clueless. The trainer saw his forehead and the bruises and swelling. "Larry does your helmet fit ? It looks tight."
Larry said it was the biggest helmet the team had in stock. Trainer called Syracuse and had a manager fly the Syracuse helmet (it was a special order from Riddell) to Miami. Repainted the helmet fish colors and that was the helmet he used his entire NFL career, took it with him and had it repainted as necessary.
Laughing as I was going with leather so they learn to tackle correctly and second, that it actually hurts to hit your head into something.

Not sure it’s the best but VICIS claims to be and at 1k per they better be. I’ve seen more and more HS kids buying them.

Those xenith helmets stink. They look nice but once you need to get them reconditioned they fall apart.
Yes and no. If it’s your own helmet getting reconditioned you are fine. Program wide? It can be an issue because of the chinstrap/shell design. Kids cut the excess chinstrap above the snap and when it’s reconditioned it can’t be replaced

The Speedflex. Comfortable and does it job well. Has very high ratings beyond my opinion also.

In reality it is all about proper fit and proper chin strap fit.

Yes and no. If it’s your own helmet getting reconditioned you are fine. Program wide? It can be an issue because of the chinstrap/shell design. Kids cut the excess chinstrap above the snap and when it’s reconditioned it can’t be replaced
I am talking about the latter situation. We had about 50 of them and I think we may have 5 left from 3 years ago. The chinstrap is one issue. The other is that it seems that the rubber they use inside the shell does not do well with the methods used to sanitize them, which I assume is some sort of higher heat chemical or steam.

ADVERTISEMENT