ADVERTISEMENT

OT - BIG Hockey

wcicci

Sophomore
Jan 25, 2012
BIG Hockey, is a frequent topic here, especially with Rutgers seeming like a logical addition to D1. In year 5 as a D1 program, Penn St is #1 in the nation. Fairly early in the year and things will change. Still impressive

BIG Hockey, is a frequent topic here, especially with Rutgers seeming like a logical addition to D1. In year 5 as a D1 program, Penn St is #1 in the nation. Fairly early in the year and things will change. Still impressive
I never thought they would build the program this fast. I thought they would remain a doormat for at least a decade or so. Just go to show how their is a major void in the northeast/mid Atlantic for hockey. Most of the programs in this region are small private schools which is not for everyone. If Rutgers was able to make the investment they could have similar success. The problem is money. You need to go all in and not a patch work solution of playing a few games here and a few games in Newark.

I never thought they would build the program this fast. I thought they would remain a doormat for at least a decade or so. Just go to show how their is a major void in the northeast/mid Atlantic for hockey. Most of the programs in this region are small private schools which is not for everyone. If Rutgers was able to make the investment they could have similar success. The problem is money. You need to go all in and not a patch work solution of playing a few games here and a few games in Newark.
I would agree. Hockey is one hell of an investment and Terry Pegula, alum and owner of the Sabres and Bills spent the money. Not only did it create D1 hockey in SC but it also was a requirement for the B1G Hockey Conference to exist. That said, I would love it if Rutgers got a team. Hell, if Arizona State can have a D1 team, anything is possible!

Doubt it will happen anytime soon - no$$ for major expense, hockey is not cheap. We can't even fund men's tennis or crew. Would also need both a men's and women's team for Title IX compliance..

Two predictions:

1. We will have men's and women's ice hockey.
2. I might not live to see it. (I'm 50)

Reactions: lighty
I'm as big of a hockey fan as there is. In fact my son just played 5 games at the Pegula Arena this weekend and I can say that it is a beautiful facility, well beyond our capacity to fund at the present. However, It is very apparent we shouldn't even bother with hockey until we have a basketball facility that resembles what PS has with the Bryce Jordan Center. The fact that PS has three world class facilities within a 2 minute walk from each other (Beaver, Pegula and Bryce Jordan) and we can't fund meaningful improvements to the RAC shows how far we have to go to compete in the B1G. We really need Pat Hobbs to be successful and to assist him however possible.

I'm as big of a hockey fan as there is. In fact my son just played 5 games at the Pegula Arena this weekend and I can say that it is a beautiful facility, well beyond our capacity to fund at the present. However, It is very apparent we shouldn't even bother with hockey until we have a basketball facility that resembles what PS has with the Bryce Jordan Center. The fact that PS has three world class facilities within a 2 minute walk from each other (Beaver, Pegula and Bryce Jordan) and we can't fund meaningful improvements to the RAC shows how far we have to go to compete in the B1G. We really need Pat Hobbs to be successful and to assist him however possible.
Jordan Center is terrible venue for basketball. It a nice facility for concerts and show. You will find most fans would love to see Penn State build a new basketball arena.

KRIS MYLLARI- 20 yr old Freshman
KEVIN KERR- 21 yr old Sophomore
JAMES GOBETZ- 20 yr old Freshman
JAMES ROBINSON- 23 year old Junior
CHASE BERGER- 22 yr old Soph
DAVID GOODWIN- 25 yr old Senior
DYLAN RICHARD- 24 yr old Senior
VINCE PEDRIE- 23 yr old Sophomore

They're mostly recruiting guys who are aging out of the u-20 and NDT programs. When you're putting a team of 22-24 year olds out there against teams that are 18-20 years old, it helps with the talent gap. It's a very interesting strategy, I've not seen it before.

They're mostly recruiting guys who are aging out of the u-20 and NDT programs. When you're putting a team of 22-24 year olds out there against teams that are 18-20 years old, it helps with the talent gap. It's a very interesting strategy, I've not seen it before.
Very common in college hockey.

The average age of a college hockey freshman is 20. It is not the norm to jump from high school to college. The USHL, NAHL, OHL and oversees talent float until they are 20 to see if/how high they get drafted, the rest fill up d 1 and d3 programs around the country and try to improve draft stock. While they train on amateur teams, they grab a couple of college classes and help their grades and admission process.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
When Rutgers can find a Pegula we will have D-1 hockey. Someone will have to bank roll the whole thing to start, like PSU, including the building of a 4,000-ish seat arena on/near campus.

Reactions: Armor and Sword
If you build it, they will come. Recruits and their parents see new and updated facilities as a schools commitment to their sports.

There are a number of high wealth Rutgers graduates, does anyone know if their is a plan to specifically target these people.

If you build it, they will come. Recruits and their parents see new and updated facilities as a schools commitment to their sports.

There are a number of high wealth Rutgers graduates, does anyone know if their is a plan to specifically target these people.

Maybe you should email Hobbs to tell him to target wealthy alums.

Reactions: newell138 and RM60
Don't think anyone at Penn State thought we would have Division I hockey either...until Terry Pegula coughed up 100+ million.

Reactions: RM60
I remember reading a post by a Penn St fan, wrote about an alumni who donated a truckload of $ to the hockey program.

Penn State is playing games at the Wachovia Center and Madison Square Garden and they are frequently on national TV. Kids in New Jersey,both northern and southern, will grow up seeing Penn State as their local hockey team. Sound familiar Rutgers football and wrestling fans ? By the time we finally add hockey,they will have years of a head start. --And no, I don't have 100 million dollars in my couch cushions.

Great point. All we need is a big donor to step up with a $100 million donation! Shouldn't be a problem at all. :flushed:

I remember reading a post by a Penn St fan, wrote about an alumni who donated a truckload of $ to the hockey program.
Terry Pegula who owns the Bills and the Sabres donated $102 million to start the program.

And when to start to receive our Full Share of the B1G revenue this will start to change.

I'm not denying that it does, but why the heck does it take $100 million to start a college hockey team?

I'm not denying that it does, but why the heck does it take $100 million to start a college hockey team?

It might not take $100 million exactly, but stadiums/facilities aren't cheap. And renting them would be doing it on the cheap, which would devalue the program's very existence. There's also the Title IX considerations.

Penn State is playing games at the Wachovia Center and Madison Square Garden and they are frequently on national TV. Kids in New Jersey,both northern and southern, will grow up seeing Penn State as their local hockey team. Sound familiar Rutgers football and wrestling fans ? By the time we finally add hockey,they will have years of a head start. --And no, I don't have 100 million dollars in my couch cushions.

You're absolutely right. Penn State is going to be the go to school for anyone on the east coast who wants to play big time college hockey at a big school in the area. And they are going to establish themselves in that position just as they did with football. It's unfortunate because New Jersey has been developing very good players. Not just good, but NHL stars.

But the $$ isn't there and, even as a die-hard hockey fan, I agree that the basketball arena must be addressed first. It would be great if a new arena could be built that offers the POSSIBILITY of hosting hockey down the road.

You can start one for far less. However if you want to be a competitive from the start you need to invest in a facility. Rutgers could continue to use ProSkate arena for practice and games and perhaps rent Prudential Center for the bigger games and start a program for much cheaper. However you are not going to land top notch players busing them all over New Jersey for games and practice. Imagine telling a recruit we practice at 6am because that when we can get ice time and by the way it a 20 minute drive to practice. The bulk of the money would be for a practice facility and hockey arena.

Reactions: RM60
It might not take $100 million exactly, but stadiums/facilities aren't cheap. And renting them would be doing it on the cheap, which would devalue the program's very existence. There's also the Title IX considerations.
Aight, and I know I'm venturing into murky water here, but it should not cost $100 million to build a 4000 seat college arena.

But my question was fairly rhetorical.

UConn built an on campus facility when they moved the sport to varsity level. In the 15 years they have yet to make it to an tournament.
That's really just for practice and scrimmages and the girls games.

They play in Hartford. Although Hockey East is not too fond of that arrangement and really wants them to have something nicer and bigger in Storrs.

Aight, and I know I'm venturing into murky water here, but it should not cost $100 million to build a 4000 seat college arena.

In New Jersey I am sure it will be. In 2012 it cost $88 million to build a 5,782 seat Pegula Arena at Penn State. In addition you need money to endow scholarships, equipment, hire staff ect.

That's really just for practice and scrimmages and the girls games.

They play in Hartford. Although Hockey East is not too fond of that arrangement and really wants them to have something nicer and bigger in Storrs.
That what Rutgers would need at the very least. They could play games at the Predential Center but it would be a detrimental to recruiting.

My opinion (which together with $.99 will get you a cheap cup o Joe) has recently changed from no way to if only we could. Driven by the belief that this is where we could compete in the B1G..like soccer, wrestling, baseball, Lax.

Frankly I'd trade a tennis and volleyball team tomorrow. now who's got a $75mil laying around?

Yup, you could build an arena that is smaller than Pegula (6,014 seats) and doesn't have the same bells and whistles for less. FWIW, I believe $89 million of the Pegulas' donation was for the facility and $13 million was for endowed scholarships.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT