ADVERTISEMENT

OT: big injury...My 11 year old son broke his ankle tonight

Scarlet Bri

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2001
My 11 year old son broke his ankle tonight heading into last regular season game tomorrow, then playoffs. Out 4-6 weeks, he is PISSED. Significantly more emotional pain for missing playoffs than physical pain of the injury.

Hope this doesn’t impact his recruitment. True story, Pike already sized him up 3 years ago on the concourse at Rutgers Stadium during halftime. Pike was hosting Montez, introduced us to him and said he’d be looking for my son for class of ‘27. Pike is the man.

Only consolation for my son tonight was we can still watch RU tomorrow vs Illinois.

Reactions: AD888
8/4/93 - went up for a rebound at the new Busch gym, and came down with a full leg cast after breaking my ankle. My heart always goes out - all the best.

Broke my foot at age 10 high stepping like Deion Sanders between the bathroom and my bedroom after brushing my teeth right before bed. Healed nicely and still had a good 5 years to play my way out of contention for any college basketball roster spot anywhere.

My 11 year old son broke his ankle tonight heading into last regular season game tomorrow, then playoffs. Out 4-6 weeks, he is PISSED. Significantly more emotional pain for missing playoffs than physical pain of the injury.

Hope this doesn’t impact his recruitment. True story, Pike already sized him up 3 years ago on the concourse at Rutgers Stadium during halftime. Pike was hosting Montez, introduced us to him and said he’d be looking for my son for class of ‘27. Pike is the man.

Only consolation for my son tonight was we can still watch RU tomorrow vs Illinois.
Sorry to hear it. Wishing him a speedy and complete recovery!

Hopefully he recovers fully.

Not going to share my ankle stories, too many of them.

Ouch, been there. Good luck. On a trampoline years ago with my son. Ended going off the tramp while in the stratosphere!

Broke my foot at age 10 high stepping like Deion Sanders between the bathroom and my bedroom after brushing my teeth right before bed. Healed nicely and still had a good 5 years to play my way out of contention for any college basketball roster spot anywhere.
Funny. Did your parents flag you for unsportsmanlike like conduct ?
At least you had already brushed your teeth which is a plus for you.

Might be mad about it, but youth is on his side.

Sprained my ankle playing a pickup game of basketball my junior year in college. Came down on somebody's foot going for a rebound. In a matter of seconds my ankle was the size of a baseball. Eventually went to the hospital for x-rays and the doctor said I would've been better off breaking it for healing purposes. Took about 6 weeks to walk normally, but 6 months for the swelling to disappear. Very annoying.

Reactions: BillyC80
No surgery required or surgery required doesn’t matter.
Initial treatment and rehab should all be performed by sports medicine experienced doctors and trainers

No surgery required or surgery required doesn’t matter.
Initial treatment and rehab should all be performed by sports medicine experienced doctors and trainers
1977 - pickup game at the Cook College gym. Went up for a rebound, landed on someones foot, 6 weeks in a cast, trashed my Daytona spring break plans. No issues afterwards.

Sprained my ankle playing a pickup game of basketball my junior year in college. Came down on somebody's foot going for a rebound. In a matter of seconds my ankle was the size of a baseball. Eventually went to the hospital for x-rays and the doctor said I would've been better off breaking it for healing purposes. Took about 6 weeks to walk normally, but 6 months for the swelling to disappear. Very annoying.
You described the exact experience I had my sophomore year at RU. Was on crutches for at least a week as I recall. Then an air cast.

After a lifetime of sprained ankles I met with a orthopedic podiatrist who said eventually I would need to have my ankle fused. I met with an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion. Doctor comes in and he is legit 6'8" (I'm 6'7"), he played for Williams, and he said it wasn't as bad a the first Doc made it out. That said, I wish I switched to ankle braces years ago.

I use the :
Amazon product ASIN B0090PZQ7Sthat Steph Curry uses. Hurts my vertical and takes 10 minutes to put on but it was highly recommended. I wish I started wearing it a decade ago.
https://www.thehoopsgeek.com/best-ankle-brace/

Last edited:
Am I the only one with a full leg cast for an ankle? Man that was heartbreaking.

I’ve played every sport under the sun.
3 sports 11 Varsity letters in high school, played MLB for a decade.
Competitive squash, softball and golf I’m my later years.
And I’ve never had an ankle, knee, hip, elbow or shoulder injury....ever
Pure genetics somehow...total luck

Last edited:
My 6 yoson broke his elbow manualing the tabletop at HCBMX in Flemingtom during practice after the labor day race. He crashed and somehow went over his handlebars. Missed the northeast regional championship in Long Island, and he was ranked #1. :( but he did make it back in time to win the state championship. It was a tough six weeks though.

69647987_10107131106083050_4668539634395906048_n.jpg

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I’ve played every sport under the sun.
3 sports 11 Varsity letters in high school, played MLB for a decade.
Competitive squash, softball and golf I’m my later years.
And I’ve never had an ankle, knee, hip, elbow or shoulder injury....ever
Pure genetics somehow...total luck
Yeah that’s gotta be luck.

8/4/93 - went up for a rebound at the new Busch gym, and came down with a full leg cast after breaking my ankle. My heart always goes out - all the best.

(First, good luck to OP's son)

Werblin?

I wrenched my knee there.. also in summer... couldn't trust it since... probably more like '96. Was taken out on a stretcher.. though I should have hobbled to the lobby so they wouldn't need to stop the games.

My take was that in warm weather.. the humidity from the pool made that floor very sticky and dangerous. And in August I assume people had the outer doors wedged open allowing in a breeze and August's outdoor humidity as well.

My bones are too dense to break.. but that means everything that's not a bone takes more abuse.

Last edited:
You described the exact experience I had my sophomore year at RU. Was on crutches for at least a week as I recall. Then an air cast.
I had crutches too, but what a pain going up to my room on the second floor. Plus while limping along to class every piece of uneven ground took extra time to negotiate.

Reactions: BillyC80
(First, good luck to OP's son)

Werblin?

I wrenched my knee there.. also in summer... couldn't trust it since... probably more like '96. Was taken out on a stretcher.. though I should have hobbled to the lobby so they wouldn't need to stop the games.

Yes, Werblin. ‘Favorite’ memory was the rest of the guys in the pickup game wanting to keep playing as quickly as possible, while my world had shattered. After a few minutes I slid myself off the playing surface so they could play on.

ADVERTISEMENT