ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Billy Joel #100

Just my opinion, but the only thing by Joel that I wouldn't mind hearing is Capt. Jack.
Not a piano guy.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Thank you for sharing that video MGSA99. That was awesome and I will always love Bruce’s music but just wish he’d stick to the music only and leave the politics out but regardless he will always be my all time favorite.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Saw people Billy Joel at the Capital Theater in Passaic in 1975 or 1976. Also saw him at RU in the Barn in either 1976 or 1977. In the mid-80's saw him at the Continental Arena with Elton John. Each played an hour by themselves with their bands and then finished together doing another hour set. Turnstyles was his best album.

Saw people Billy Joel at the Capital Theater in Passaic in 1975 or 1976. Also saw him at RU in the Barn in either 1976 or 1977. In the mid-80's saw him at the Continental Arena with Elton John. Each played an hour by themselves with their bands and then finished together doing another hour set. Turnstyles was his best album.

At Rutgers in 1974 at the College Avenue Gym, Billy Joel gave a concert and for the last three songs invited Bruce Springsteen on stage.

Last edited:
In Ireland he is known as Billy joEL.

Funny to hear it pronounced that way.

Thank you for sharing that video MGSA99. That was awesome and I will always love Bruce’s music but just wish he’d stick to the music only and leave the politics out but regardless he will always be my all time favorite.
I really dislike musicians and performers who mix their politics in with their shows. Don't care where you stand, I didn't come to hear your political views.

I really dislike musicians and performers who mix their politics in with their shows. Don't care where you stand, I didn't come to hear your political views.
I really enjoy musicians and performers who mix their politics with their shows. i care where they stand. I wanna hear what they think....and not just how big some woman's ass is.
I blame it all on Bob Dylan.

The Rutgers spring of 1974 at the College Avenue Gym, Billy Joel gave a concert and for the last three songs invited Bruce Springsteen on stage.
Was that the greatest concert in RU history? Or did the Beatles play at the Barn in the 60s sometime?

Was that the greatest concert in RU history? Or did the Beatles play at the Barn in the 60s sometime?

What is your definition of "greatest concert?" The Barn has been hosting concerts since it opened in 1932. Simon & Garfunkel played there in the mid-60s. Pianist Sergei Rachmaninov played there in the 1930s. Bob Dylan, Mel Torme, Jerry Garcia.... over a half century of these famous artists in their time. So what is the definition of "greatest?"

I really enjoy musicians and performers who mix their politics with their shows. i care where they stand. I wanna hear what they think....and not just how big some woman's ass is.
I blame it all on Bob Dylan.

ZRtY.gif

Reactions: RUDutch
Me too. I taught Bruce Springsteen a lesson in that I no longer buy tickets for his concerts or that overpriced Bruce on Broadway show. Perhaps he will reconsider when he feels the economic impact.

Me too. I taught Bruce Springsteen a lesson in that I no longer buy tickets for his concerts or that overpriced Bruce on Broadway show. Perhaps he will reconsider when he feels the economic impact.

Bruce has a reported $460 million, so I don't think he is going to sweat your boycott.

Bruce has a reported $460 million, so I don't think he is going to sweat your boycott.
Or my sarcasm-- have heard that line about boycotting so many times, it is hilarious.

I like James Hetfield's take on politics, and he says something along these lines at Metallica concerts:

"My opinion stays with me. I'm a singer and guitar player in a rock band," he continued. "I hate politics. I don't wanna talk about politics. It's not important to me. What's important to me is connecting people with music. Politics, religion… things that sep… they separate people. They make people… "I love talking about it and my thoughts, but I think it gets in the way of people getting to understand all of you."

"We try to stay away from that 'cause it polarizes people. If I sit here and say that I hate Trump or I love Trump, someone will think, 'Oh, I don't like his music anymore.' It's silly. So I like to keep it about music."

I think your facetiousness was not appreciated.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm sure there are others, but this is the only right wing musician I can recall seeing play multiple times:

johnny.jpg

Last edited:
I have been to a ton of Bruce's shows. The last time in the Meadowland's I went to three of his shows. Pretty sure not once did he talk about politics. He did at one show ask people to donate to the local food banks that were collecting in the hall ways. His efforts to help food banks and our Veterans and others is far and above most celebrities that are out there today.

Don't understand people that say the love seeing Bruce but not his politics. DO YOU EVEN LISTEN TO THE WORDS IN HIS SONGS? That was like people complaining about going to a Crosby, Still, Nash and Young concert and were outraged by their politics, well duh.

Thanks Source for the reminder. I was in the Barn for that concert with Bruce and Bill Joel. I was also at Bruce's concert at the Ledge. Have the poster framed at my house.

Thanks Source for the reminder. I was in the Barn for that concert with Bruce and Bill Joel. I was also at Bruce's concert at the Ledge. Have the poster framed at my house.

So what were the songs Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen sang that night? I heard there were three and one of them was "Twist and Shout."

Also, Bruce Springsteen used to play with some local group whose name I can't quite remember. Heard a story that after a performance (maybe that night's performance) he stopped someone in front of the Student Center for directions to where he was going to jam with the group. I'd recognize the group's name but can't quite remember it now.

So what were the songs Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen sang that night? I heard there were three and one of them was "Twist and Shout."

Also, Bruce Springsteen used to play with some local group whose name I can't quite remember. Heard a story that after a performance (maybe that night's performance) he stopped someone in front of the Student Center for directions to where he was going to jam with the group. I'd recognize the group's name but can't quite remember it now.
Don't quote me but, Twist and Shout was the last song, pretty sure Bruce and Billy did, Blinded by the Light and For You. Pretty sure Bruce sang with Billy on a Billy song also. No clue about the second question.

I have been to a ton of Bruce's shows. The last time in the Meadowland's I went to three of his shows. Pretty sure not once did he talk about politics. He did at one show ask people to donate to the local food banks that were collecting in the hall ways. His efforts to help food banks and our Veterans and others is far and above most celebrities that are out there today.

Don't understand people that say the love seeing Bruce but not his politics. DO YOU EVEN LISTEN TO THE WORDS IN HIS SONGS? That was like people complaining about going to a Crosby, Still, Nash and Young concert and were outraged by their politics, well duh.

Lyrics mean different things to different people. We all interpret them differently. Other than the Ghost of Tom Joad, I find most of his lyrics apolitical. The album Darkness on the Edge of Town can be interpreted various ways, but to me, it is escaping a bad situation through grit, and will and determination, and those principles of the party Bruce does not like. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To many of his fans, a night at a Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert is a night of pure unbridled fun and music. No need to bring it down with using the stage as a bully pulpit--I like Metallica's approach to politics, and members of Metallica seem to be divided on politics. Music and entertainment can be a force to bring people together.

Reactions: Friend of 112

Thanks for posting that. It contained the answer to my question above:

December 14, 1974 - MULTIPURPOSE ROOM, STUDENT CENTER, RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ (after the Billy Joel appearance)

No set details known. Following his guest appearance with Billy Joel at the main Rutgers concert auditorium (see above listing) Springsteen walks across campus to the school’s Student Center and jams with Sid Gottlieb’s band Heavy Trucking. This took place after midnight, so technically speaking it was on December 15. Heavy Trucking had previously opened for Bruce at a concert at Rutgers on April 1, 1973. Peter Wyman, who worked for Rutgers University Major Events Programs at the time, has commented to Brucebase “after the (Billy Joel) encore Bruce was by a back door and asked me what the quickest way to the Student Center was. I walked him there and he told me he wanted to play with Heavy Trucking, they did five or six songs together”.

Mike, can I assume you didn't go? :>( If you wanted a show with Bruce and Billy you can't much beat the show we (separately) saw for the Rock Hall of Fame (then the next night you saw U2, Bruce w U2 and Metallica.

What a few weeks that was in 2009-the Rock Hall of Fame shows, the Yankees winning the World Series, the ensuing parade then Bruce performing "The River" in its entirety for the first time. Two or so of the best weeks of my life!

Haven't seem it listed yet but channel 4 reported yesterday afternoon that Bruce's Final "Bruce on Broadway" show will be streamed on Netflix. I believe I heard they are taping for a DVD.

That Ledge show was in 1972 with "The Bruce Springsteen Band"? if so WOW! I remember years ago seeing a tape of that show for sale in "The Aquarian"

How the heck do I post a photo off my phone? I have the Bruce at the Barn poster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT