ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BLOCKERS movie

Just to circle back, WWE is running promos for Blockers on their over the top streaming WWE Network so that's great to see that consistent advertisement. Good luck !

Reactions: OffTheBanks
Jim and Brian-Can't bELieve that you wrote this movie! CONGRATS! That's a h*ll of a production staff let alone cast!

Saw the ads for the movie and was hoping to catch it. Someone was already calling the movie the "female Superbad"! Looking forward as "chasing" a nutty girl at my old gym (currently a CPA in NB), I was 'blocked" by all the predators at gym-and her mother who happened to come to the gym and track me down (my Myspace hits went from 3 to 175 within 48 hours after we were simultaneously checking each out one late Saturday night) while all that crew was there. Later one referred to me as "McLovin".

Any special showings with or without you guys? At the same gym (new own ership) the girl who played the daughter in "Greek Wedding II". She had a private viewing at Manville (Reading) Cinemas with 75 friends.

Good luck with the critics and profits! As soon as you have a highly profitable megahit we could use a new multipurpose arena at Rutgers!

Jim and Brian-Can't bELieve that you wrote this movie! CONGRATS! That's a h*ll of a production staff let alone cast!

Saw the ads for the movie and was hoping to catch it. Someone was already calling the movie the "female Superbad"! Looking forward as "chasing" a nutty girl at my old gym (currently a CPA in NB), I was 'blocked" by all the predators at gym-and her mother who happened to come to the gym and track me down (my Myspace hits went from 3 to 175 within 48 hours after we were simultaneously checking each out one late Saturday night) while all that crew was there. Later one referred to me as "McLovin".

Any special showings with or without you guys? At the same gym (new own ership) the girl who played the daughter in "Greek Wedding II". She had a private viewing at Manville (Reading) Cinemas with 75 friends.

Good luck with the critics and profits! As soon as you have a highly profitable megahit we could use a new multipurpose arena at Rutgers!

Yes, we had an embarrassment of riches on this movie with the people we worked with on it. There was a big Rutgers screening on Wednesday night and it was very well received. I didn't get back there for it, though, unfortunately.

Out of curiousity, how did you go from Cook college to writing and producing movies?
Long story, but the short of it is that I took the scenic route. Fordham Law School, then working for a big NYC firm and writing on the side. I decided to chase the dream, moved to LA and joined a firm out here until I sold a script, then quit the firm. I first got involved in producing based on my legal experience.

Long story, but the short of it is that I took the scenic route. Fordham Law School, then working for a big NYC firm and writing on the side. I decided to chase the dream, moved to LA and joined a firm out here until I sold a script, then quit the firm. I first got involved in producing based on my legal experience.

My youngest daughter just put her deposit down for Fordham Law. They gave her nice money. She ultimately wants to do something in the entertainment industry. We should stay in touch.

Rutgers references...I already see a Chanticleer in the movie title!

On another local note, when I hear that movie title, I think of Jim Norton. He dropped that term a lot on O&A.

Saw it on Friday. Very funny! Good job guys, and good cast. I thought Leslie Mann’s daughter in the movie was her real daughter, guess not.

Saw it with my daughter Friday night. We both really enjoyed it. Reaction from the crowd around us was extremely positive also. Great job OFF. Thanks for an entertaining evening.

My daughter saw the movie last night and thought it was hilarious. I'll be checking it out next weekend. The movies have sucked recently. I haven't gone to one since last summer.

Well done. I have a friend whom I met at my first firm, S&C, and who had a similar path. He's been writing and producing, mostly TV, for years.

Brothers, CONGRATS on an incredible opening weekend!~$21.2 million and from what I read you R already at the breakeven (cost) point in terms of profitability! Sheet you came within 2 million or so of an opening weekend? Spielberg film ( that was 2nd overall). Plus "Blockers" has great word of mouth from what Ive heard.

Now in terms of RU (the new arena) maybe too little (or too much) "Entourage") but can assume you per se don't participate in terms of profitability (as in you sold the script earlier?).

I think the movie had perfect timing-the world is in need of a good s*x comedy that makes us laugh.

As a proud fellow Cook alum congrats-THAT's how you do it! Actually of the "major 3" actors that attended RU about the time I was an undergrad ('81-'86)- Gandofini, Calista Flockhart, and Kristen Davis I believe only Flockhart took more of a direct route and was acting as an undergrad in RU productions (and she transferred in from Glassboro State). Not so sure about Davis but (in retrospect) if she was the freshman? (her years don't time out though during the last class the prof called her Kristen and earlier " Ms. Davis") that sat behind me in my "Current Moral and Social Issues" class on Douglass to me she only appeared as a typical young good looking coed (and one first focused on her friend's sweater puppies).

Brothers, CONGRATS on an incredible opening weekend!~$21.2 million and from what I read you R already at the breakeven (cost) point in terms of profitability! Sheet you came within 2 million or so of an opening weekend? Spielberg film ( that was 2nd overall). Plus "Blockers" has great word of mouth from what Ive heard.

Now in terms of RU (the new arena) maybe too little (or too much) "Entourage") but can assume you per se don't participate in terms of profitability (as in you sold the script earlier?).

I think the movie had perfect timing-the world is in need of a good s*x comedy that makes us laugh.
Thanks! Yes, we made our budget back on week one. We're all very happy about that. It's also getting rave reviews, especially considering it's a hard R-rated comedy (those traditionally do very poorly with critics - we were also hit hard by a bunch of bogus ratings from religious/parent groups but they didn't stop the box office). The simple answer to your questions is that the better the movie does, the better we do.

Look at you guys! Congrats and glad you had the cojones to follow your dreams.

Good luck Jim! Movie looks awesome! Definitely gonna try to go see it. And hey, can you get me a job designing movie posters? Rutgers wallpapers are fun, but I always thought movie poster design would be a cool gig... preferably horror movie posters. So if you know anyone, put a good word in for me... you know where to find me. :pimp:

Thanks! Yes, we made our budget back on week one. We're all very happy about that. It's also getting rave reviews, especially considering it's a hard R-rated comedy (those traditionally do very poorly with critics - we were also hit hard by a bunch of bogus ratings from religious/parent groups but they didn't stop the box office). The simple answer to your questions is that the better the movie does, the better we do.
Congrats to you guys, that's really awesome.

Are you currently working on other projects already? Or are you planning on using this success to get something made that you couldn't previously? You always hear stories about writers being able to dig back in on previously passed over scripts once they have a smash like this on their hands.

Good luck Jim! Movie looks awesome! Definitely gonna try to go see it. And hey, can you get me a job designing movie posters? Rutgers wallpapers are fun, but I always thought movie poster design would be a cool gig... preferably horror movie posters. So if you know anyone, put a good word in for me... you know where to find me. :pimp:
I don't have any contacts in that space, but if you reached out to the poster companies, I'd bet you'd get work. You have to remember that there are only so many studio movies each year (and the number is declining), so most movie posters are for indies and those producers don't pay much for their artwork.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Congrats to you guys, that's really awesome.

Are you currently working on other projects already? Or are you planning on using this success to get something made that you couldn't previously? You always hear stories about writers being able to dig back in on previously passed over scripts once they have a smash like this on their hands.
Yes, lots of projects going on. I'm currently writing a movie for Ice Cube, a pilot that shoots next week, four other scripts in development, and casting a movie that we wrote and are directing with Tyler Perry producing.

Congrats OffTheBanks...Central Jersey is the home of raunchy comedy! Your movie, my childhood friend wrote Hot Tub Time Machine (Middletown, NJ) and Kevin Smith (Middletown, NJ).

We are alums of two of the same schools. Best of luck! I will try to catch this movie.

That is a great story and shows the versatility of having a legal background.

ADVERTISEMENT