ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bob Richards Dead at 97

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
He is the only athlete to ever win 2 Olympic Gold Medals in the Pole vault,doing so in '52 and in '56.

Two years later in 1958,he turned "pro" by becoming the first athlete ever to appear on the front of a Wheaties box.

He became an ordained minister in the Church of the Brethren in 1946,later having one Billie Jean King in his flock.

He ran for President in 1984(I guess that Reagan wasn't conservative enough for him) on the Populist Party ticket,garnering some 66,000 votes.

A life well lived.

He is the only athlete to ever win 2 Olympic Gold Medals in the Pole vault,doing so in '52 and in '56.

Two years later in 1958,he turned "pro" by becoming the first athlete ever to appear on the front of a Wheaties box.

He became an ordained minister in the Church of the Brethren in 1946,later having one Billie Jean King in his flock.

He ran for President in 1984(I guess that Reagan wasn't conservative enough for him) on the Populist Party ticket,garnering some 66,000 votes.

A life well lived.
Church of the Brethren ? Not familiar.

RIP Rev. Robert E. Richards
Bob Richards, Pole-Vaulting Hero of the Cold War Era, Dies at 97
>Long before modern athletes began riding fiberglass poles to unimaginable heights, the Rev. Robert E. Richards, an ordained minister nicknamed the Vaulting Vicar, won Olympic gold medals in 1952 at Helsinki, Finland, and in 1956 at Melbourne, Australia, using aluminum poles to clear bars set at just under 15 feet.<
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/27/sports/olympics/bob-richards-dead.html

I don’t understand these RIP posts for irrelevant people.
You have no idea of how popular this guy was. He reached millions of kids and parents every day. He was in commercials every day showing
kids his Olympic pole vaulting. Showing kids
they too can make it. He was the example of a clean cut, hard working successful man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT