ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Boom! Hammer drops on Astros.

Wearing a wire takes cheating in baseball to a new level imo.

Why would anyone bet on the outcome of MLB games knowing how common in game cheating is?

Anyone listen to Bobby Valentine w Joe and Evan on WFAN the other day? Bobby acted like everyone in MLB does something like this. Back in the 80’s the White Sox had a light system installed to alert batters on the next pitch.

His and the other Atros playoffs stats aren't near identical. 2017 playoff numbers.

Alex Bregman: Road – .154 BA, .508 OPS; Home – .273 BA, .857 OPS.Carlos Correa: Road – .211 BA, .626 OPS; Home – .371 BA, 1.164 OPS.Jose Altuve: Road – .143 BA, .497 OPS; Home – .472 BA, 1.541 OPS.Brian McCann: Road – .037 BA, .198 OPS; Home – .300 BA, .849 OPS.Evan Gattis: Road – .200 BA, .533 OPS; Home – .300 BA, 1.014 OPS.
Altuve are drastically different!!

This is the report I heard.

Wearing a wire takes cheating in baseball to a new level imo.

Why would anyone bet on the outcome of MLB games knowing how common in game cheating is?

Anyone listen to Bobby Valentine w Joe and Evan on WFAN the other day? Bobby acted like everyone in MLB does something like this. Back in the 80’s the White Sox had a light system installed to alert batters on the next pitch.
Big league Pitchers throughout history have been consumed with hitters knowing the pitches.
Whether they were tipping them or using a center field camera.
It’s pretty easy for catchers to beat sign stealing by using a sophisticated sign and indicator system.
Pitchers and catchers can change their signs every inning...as a shortstop, I needed to be aware of every pitch because I had to call the infield defensive based on the pitch

Reactions: superfan01
Now there is the accusation that the golden boy Mike Trout found a loophole from MLB to take HGH to treat a thyroid condition.

What a week for mlb.

If this buzzer thing is true and it seems it is, it's a total farce that the players involved aren't being suspended. Once you wear a f'n wire I'm pretty sure your level of cheating is beyond innocent bystander.

This is Josh Reddick with the wire ...
EObtFyJXUAAz3SQ.jpg
Guess it's more than just a rumor then.

Not to pat myself on the back too much, but since that ALDS I thought it was almost as if Altuve knew the pitch was coming. While it was a hanger, he absolutely crushed it.

None of the team's then or now promoted using steriods. None. It was a player's choice away from the team.
Interesting about the Mitchell Report what was leaked and what wasn't. More importantly Arod got crushed and Ortiz skated when it came out they both tested positive.
When they did the anonymous test in 2003, they tested some 1,400 + players. 103 major leaguers tested positive. They didn't even test for HGH or the stuff Balco was selling so the true number could have been double that. 30 teams, 25 on a roster and 103 positives out of 750. Everyone was doing it.

When they did the anonymous test in 2003, they tested some 1,400 + players. 103 major leaguers tested positive. They didn't even test for HGH or the stuff Balco was selling so the true number could have been double that. 30 teams, 25 on a roster and 103 positives out of 750. Everyone was doing it.
And what is your point Capt Obvious? Again where did the team's encourage it? They couldn't test for HGH as there was no test for it back then. I have no clue what your point is.

And what is your point Capt Obvious? Again where did the team's encourage it? They couldn't test for HGH as there was no test for it back then. I have no clue what your point is.
The point is that everyone was doing it then, and everybody knew. Just like now. In both cases, MLB did absolutely nothing until they were embarrassed into a corner and had to. Go sleep it off, old timer.

Reactions: MulletCork
The point is that everyone was doing it then, and everybody knew. Just like now. In both cases, MLB did absolutely nothing until they were embarrassed into a corner and had to. Go sleep it off, old timer.
MLB tried to do everything to avoid steroids scandal. Money wasn't the only sticking point in that started the strike in 94. Testing was on the table and the union was 1000% against. It was forced on the minor leagues as they aren't in the Union. Maybe do some research before you blame MLB.

MLB tried to do everything to avoid steroids scandal. Money wasn't the only sticking point in that started the strike in 94. Testing was on the table and the union was 1000% against. It was forced on the minor leagues as they aren't in the Union. Maybe do some research before you blame MLB.
Yeah they did. In Bizarro world. Selig didn't care because it was good for the game that guys in their late 30's were mashing 50+ home runs a few years after the strike. It was winning fans back to the game. Guys 35-37 should not be breaking home run records. Everybody knew. Baseball did nothing, and don't even try to blame the union. The MLB commissioner is the most powerful executive in sports thanks to the 1919 Black Sox scandal. He has broad and unilateral power to enact anything "In the best interests of baseball." Pete Ueberroth used it to suspend a ton of players for using cocaine. Giamatti used it to ban Pete Rose. Many commissioners have used it many times over the years. Faye Vincent used it to ban Steinbrenner for three years for smearing Winfield. Bud could have done what he needed to do in the best interests of baseball. But it it turned out he decided all those homers were in the best interests of baseball instead.
Those are the facts. Not quite sure why you're getting so worked up about it. Just like Tony Soprano said, we're running a business here.

Yeah they did. In Bizarro world. Selig didn't care because it was good for the game that guys in their late 30's were mashing 50+ home runs a few years after the strike. It was winning fans back to the game. Guys 35-37 should not be breaking home run records. Everybody knew. Baseball did nothing, and don't even try to blame the union. The MLB commissioner is the most powerful executive in sports thanks to the 1919 Black Sox scandal. He has broad and unilateral power to enact anything "In the best interests of baseball." Pete Ueberroth used it to suspend a ton of players for using cocaine. Giamatti used it to ban Pete Rose. Many commissioners have used it many times over the years. Faye Vincent used it to ban Steinbrenner for three years for smearing Winfield. Bud could have done what he needed to do in the best interests of baseball. But it it turned out he decided all those homers were in the best interests of baseball instead.
Those are the facts. Not quite sure why you're getting so worked up about it. Just like Tony Soprano said, we're running a business here.
Oh god you are clueless. Your facts are like Trump's statements.
He had no choice in the matter. The union didn't want testing and there would be no contract with it. The Union gave up years of service before free agencies to get that.
Here is how stupid and wrong you are. Before the strike their was implied sanctions if any drug use. And no one was jacked up. After the strike when the players were protected from testing than all hell broke lose.
Pete Rose wasn't suspended under the best interest of baseball. He was suspended under the #1 rule in baseball. No gambling. My god you are really stupid.

Yeah they did. In Bizarro world. Selig didn't care because it was good for the game that guys in their late 30's were mashing 50+ home runs a few years after the strike. It was winning fans back to the game.

This. Selig knew and didn't care because McGwire and Sosa made baseball the lead story on Sportscenter every night for four months. He only pretended to care when Barry Bonds' head started to look like a beach ball and it was actually embarrassing for anyone to act like they had no idea how a spray hitting base-stealer was turning into Lou Ferrigno at 35.

"Oh gee ... I'm Bud Selig and I've been around the game of baseball for thirty years, but I can't figure out why Barry Bonds is 39 and walked during more than 1/3rd of his plate appearances this year."

Then he blackballed him from the league and he was gone. But by then the damage was done. The record book had been shredded by people cheating. I'm sure that tons of players started to cheat simply because they felt everyone else was cheating and if they didn't do it also to keep up, they'd be out of the league. Most of the Hall of Famers from the era are believed-cheaters, but they are definitely Hall of Famers because they are all over the record book (and squeezed many non-cheaters out of the All-Star Games and season awards). And Selig knew it was happening and let it happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: czxqa
This. Selig knew and didn't care because McGwire and Sosa made baseball the lead story on Sportscenter every night for four months. He only pretended to care when Barry Bonds' head started to look like a beach ball and it was actually embarrassing for anyone to act like they had no idea how a spray hitting base-stealer was turning into Lou Ferrigno at 35.

"Oh gee ... I'm Bud Selig and I've been around the game of baseball for thirty years, but I can't figure out why Barry Bonds is 39 and walked during more than 1/3rd of his plate appearances this year."
Another dumbass void of the facts.

The NY reporters will ask about this. He isn't free and clear. They should also ask him how Verlander and Morton suddenly became aces when they joined the Astros. Do you really think they only cheated at sign stealing??

Morton, maybe.
Verlander was clearly already an ace.

Also makes me wonder, did the cheating stop in 2019? Didn't the Astros win all of their WS home games? The w-l split home and away is a bit suspect, going far beyond the traditional home field advantage.

In the 2019 WS, the road team won all 7 games.

Oh god you are clueless. Your facts are like Trump's statements.
He had no choice in the matter. The union didn't want testing and there would be no contract with it. The Union gave up years of service before free agencies to get that.
Here is how stupid and wrong you are. Before the strike their was implied sanctions if any drug use. And no one was jacked up. After the strike when the players were protected from testing than all hell broke lose.
Pete Rose wasn't suspended under the best interest of baseball. He was suspended under the #1 rule in baseball. No gambling. My god you are really stupid.
As opposed to express written sanctions, gotcha...

Morton, maybe.
Verlander was clearly already an ace.
Verlander was already an ACE that was clearly on the downswing. As he gets older, he shouldn't have been getting better. And let's look at Cole. How did he go from the NL where he averaged just a little under 9 hits per 9 and less than 9 K's per 9 to what he became with the Astros? Something is clearly up with their pitchers as well.

Reactions: redking
Verlander was already an ACE that was clearly on the downswing. As he gets older, he shouldn't have been getting better. And let's look at Cole. How did he go from the NL where he averaged just a little under 9 hits per 9 and less than 9 K's per 9 to what he became with the Astros? Something is clearly up with their pitchers as well.
So the Yankees invested in a cheater who will never put up the same numbers off the juice,lmao!!!!

His and the other Atros playoffs stats aren't near identical. 2017 playoff numbers.

Alex Bregman: Road – .154 BA, .508 OPS; Home – .273 BA, .857 OPS.Carlos Correa: Road – .211 BA, .626 OPS; Home – .371 BA, 1.164 OPS.Jose Altuve: Road – .143 BA, .497 OPS; Home – .472 BA, 1.541 OPS.Brian McCann: Road – .037 BA, .198 OPS; Home – .300 BA, .849 OPS.Evan Gattis: Road – .200 BA, .533 OPS; Home – .300 BA, 1.014 OPS.
Altuve are drastically different!!

Altuve? Agree, but holy crap McCann was over 250 points better. Granted he was a backup, if memory serves, but that is a ridiculous difference.

Should be interesting to see what happens when the Astros play in different cities and how the fans react. Also, there's going to be some extra pressure on some of the Houston talent to prove that they are as great without trash cans as with. You know Yankee fans in mid-May will not be silent in the stands for their three game series.

Drunk Yankee fans in NY when the Astros come to town...I may actually have to watch a game or two...

Reactions: tico brown
All the latest stuff I’m reading says that electronic enabled cheating by teams in MLB has been going on since at least the 1980’s when the White Sox had a light system at home to alert their hitters when certain pitches were coming next. Bobby Valentine on WFAN acted like electronic cheating was always happening for the last 30 years. That was an eye opener for me.

MLB looks almost complicit in a cheating activity that sacrifices the integrity of the game. They deserve the blame for letting this go on under their noses imo.

All the latest stuff I’m reading says that electronic enabled cheating by teams in MLB has been going on since at least the 1980’s when the White Sox had a light system at home to alert their hitters when certain pitches were coming next. Bobby Valentine on WFAN acted like electronic cheating was always happening for the last 30 years. That was an eye opener for me.

MLB looks almost complicit in a cheating activity that sacrifices the integrity of the game. They deserve the blame for letting this go on under their noses imo.
Believe me, there was no electronic signals going on in the 80s.
The White Sox tried it and when several of them almost got killed that was the end of that.
Bobby V is a good guy and a good friend, but likes to hear himself talk.
I watched Mattingly hit like Stan Musial for two years, he had no clue what was coming, neither did any of us on the Pirates.
Unless, we did it the old fashion way...every team had a sign stealer, Bob Skinner was ours, if a pitcher was tipping his pitches, he’d find it.

Believe me, there was no electronic signals going on in the 80s.
The White Sox tried it and when several of them almost got killed that was the end of that.
Bobby V is a good guy and a good friend, but likes to hear himself talk.
I watched Mattingly hit like Stan Musial for two years, he had no clue what was coming, neither did any of us on the Pirates.
Unless, we did it the old fashion way...every team had a sign stealer, Bob Skinner was ours, if a pitcher was tipping his pitches, he’d find it.

Jack McDowell claims that Tony La Russa had an electronic sign stealing system set up in the 80s. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...-russa-had-sign-stealing-system-white-sox-80s

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT