ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Boston Coll Switches To New Balance

New Balance is the only one of the big four that makes a fair amount of their products in America. I walk a lot and their sneakers are light but are as sturdy as tanks. Last much longer than Nike.

New Balance is the only one of the big four that makes a fair amount of their products in America. I walk a lot and their sneakers are light but are as sturdy as tanks. Last much longer than Nike.
NB 1600 or 996, great shoes. A lot of the youngsters wear NB more for style, not athletics.

Bought a pair last Spring after previous ones lasted the best part of four years. These are called Speedride Nitrels. Says they can be used for trail running, but I wear them mostly for walking on sand roads and paved roads. Tread lasts forever .

Love that it is easy to get new balance in widths... easy to check all the styles here.. at least the ones they have in stock...

joesnewbalanceoutlet

think covid might have adversely affected their custom shoe biz... but you used to be able to design colors for different pieces of the shoe to your own specifications.. iirc.. those came to about $150 a pair.

the lifestyles search from above shows some examples as to what was possible while customizing..

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Really interesting move by BC.. interesting, as New Balance isn't close to as popular amongst students/athletes as adidas, nike, even UA.. hope RU sticks with adidas for a long time. nothing cleaner than those three stripes

Yes for New Balance. Great sneakers, & as you say made in the USA to good degree.

An interesting discussion, but ultimately doesn't it come down to dollars?

New Balance literally saved my feet when they 1st came out with offering 3 different widths for the same shoe.

i have worn nothing but NBs ever since.

i've never put on a pair of Nikies in my life that fit me, and i've tried on many.

even when Nike came out with a "wide" in a few of their shoes, it was actually too wide.

strange how shoe manufacturers think only length with fitting, as if everyone's foot width has the same proportionality to foot length.

would love to buy me a pair of Chuck Taylors, but they only come in one width, very narrow, and they don't even make a different shoe for women and men.

i swear the shoe business is the slowest to catch on of all apparel.

for 20 yrs every time i shopped golf shoes, i mentioned to the guy assisting me, "why can't they just make a pair of athletic sneakers with cleats on the bottom, instead of expecting me to walk 7 miles carrying my clubs in stiff dress shoes.

finally some sanity came to the golf shoe industry, but not till they fought sanity to the death for decades.

not like it was rocket science.

Last edited:
Really interesting move by BC.. interesting, as New Balance isn't close to as popular amongst students/athletes as adidas, nike, even UA.. hope RU sticks with adidas for a long time. nothing cleaner than those three stripes
Interestingly football is not being outfitted by New Balance. BC is getting 45 million over ten years. NB owns Warrior which is a huge hockey brand. Also they are investing big time in basketball signing guys like Kawhi. They are trying to get away from the dad image. We shall see.

Interestingly football is not being outfitted by New Balance. BC is getting 45 million over ten years. NB owns Warrior which is a huge hockey brand. Also they are investing big time in basketball signing guys like Kawhi. They are trying to get away from the dad image. We shall see.
Well that answers my one question I had about this.

Warrior produces lacrosse stuff too, or at least I know they make cleats. I believe they are all branded as New Balance instead of Warrior now though.

Warrior produces lacrosse stuff too, or at least I know they make cleats. I believe they are all branded as New Balance instead of Warrior now though.

I love warrior lax gear. From what I understand their hockey line is most profitable.

NB is the Liverpool FC kit manufacturer.

Agree with all above - like Adidas but also like the made in the USA - that’s become more important to people in the past year.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I think Rutgers got a slight bump switching. Compared to other schools, we need a good size jump when the contract comes up for renewal. Between two straight trips to the NCAAs and Schiano Fever and a bowl game hopefully this year or next, it should happen.

ADVERTISEMENT