ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon/Whiskey

What's your favorite whiskey and what liquor store has the best selection?

As of this writing my favorite is High West's Campire found at Stew Leonard's (although it is not uncommon). One of the clerks said they had been allocated three bottle of Elmer T Lee and ran out the first day.
I've been hitting the Stagg Jr this month. I figure in a pandemic that sort of proof somehow makes sense.

Just don't wash your hands in good Scotch, although it always tastes like Iodine to me....

Use fish tank cleaner in a pinch.....drinking this maybe hazardous to your health....

We had a socially distanced happy hour yesterday. Basically sat around our driveways at a safe distance and sampled different bourbons each of use contributed. Tried Willett's Pot Still Reserve, Old Forester 1897 and Henry McKenna 10. All three were enjoyable, but the McKenna was the best by far. I was pleasantly surprised by the Willett's because it is so poorly reviewed. You're paying for the unique bottle.

Last edited:
McKenna 10 I assume? Really good, especially at the price point.

QUOTE="CranfordKnight, post: 4475638, member: 2452"]We had a socially distanced happy hour yesterday. Basically sat around our driveways at a safe distance and sampled different bourbons each of use contributed. Tried Willett's Pot Still Reserve, Old Forester 1897 and Henry McKenna. All three were enjoyable, but the McKenna was the best by far. I was pleasantly surprised by the Willett's because it is so poorly reviewed. You're paying for the unique bottle.[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="CranfordKnight, post: 4475638, member: 2452"]We had a socially distanced happy hour yesterday. Basically sat around our driveways at a safe distance and sampled different bourbons each of use contributed. Tried Willett's Pot Still Reserve, Old Forester 1897 and Henry McKenna. All three were enjoyable, but the McKenna was the best by far. I was pleasantly surprised by the Willett's because it is so poorly reviewed. You're paying for the unique bottle.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I meant to say that. Updated my post.

Used to drink Jack, moved to Maker’s, now in Woodford, hope to try the Jefferson Reserve my son wanted for Christmas.

We had a socially distanced happy hour yesterday. Basically sat around our driveways at a safe distance and sampled different bourbons each of use contributed. Tried Willett's Pot Still Reserve, Old Forester 1897 and Henry McKenna 10. All three were enjoyable, but the McKenna was the best by far. I was pleasantly surprised by the Willett's because it is so poorly reviewed. You're paying for the unique bottle.
We had a virtual Happy Hour at the end of work yesterday, enjoyed a couple of Highland Park 12's.

QUOTE="CranfordKnight, post: 4475638, member: 2452"]We had a socially distanced happy hour yesterday. Basically sat around our driveways at a safe distance and sampled different bourbons each of use contributed. Tried Willett's Pot Still Reserve, Old Forester 1897 and Henry McKenna. All three were enjoyable, but the McKenna was the best by far. I was pleasantly surprised by the Willett's because it is so poorly reviewed. You're paying for the unique bottle.
[/QUOTE]
McKenna 10 is absolutely delicious and unfortunately the secret is out as prices have almost doubled on McKenna bottles since they won a bunch of awards.

Reactions: charliem24
The gateway to the Islay world along with Laphroaig. Once you go peaty, it's hard to go back to any other scotch.
To all of you guys who've been touting the virtues of peaty, smoky, Islay scotches in here, THANK YOU... I was never a big fan of scotch, but your posts made me curious, so I bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and a bottle of Ardbeg 10 out of curiosity, not knowing if they would make me puke, or if I'd like them. Bottom line is, I love the stuff.

I'll probably stick to Laphroiag 10 for now as my go-to scotch, since it was 31 bucks versus 56 bucks for the Ardbeg 10, and I'm just as happy with it's taste, and the lower alcohol content (43% vs 46%) is a little easier on the palate... If it hadn't been for several of you in this thread, I'd have never tasted a peaty Islay Scotch.... Your posts on the subject were much appreciated.

To all of you guys who've been touting the virtues of peaty, smoky, Islay scotches in here, THANK YOU... I was never a big fan of scotch, but your posts made me curious, so I bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and a bottle of Ardbeg 10 out of curiosity, not knowing if they would make me puke, or if I'd like them. Bottom line is, I love the stuff.

I'll probably stick to Laphroiag 10 for now as my go-to scotch, since it was 31 bucks versus 56 bucks for the Ardbeg 10, and I'm just as happy with it's taste... If it hadn't been for several of you in this thread, I'd have never tasted a peaty Islay Scotch.... Your posts on the subject were much appreciated.

Isn't it WONDERFUL?!

A nice dram of Laphroiag in front of a fire, preferably outside, on a cool night... Doesn't get much better.

I'll probably stick to Laphroiag 10 for now as my go-to scotch, since it was 31 bucks versus 56 bucks for the Ardbeg 10, and I'm just as happy with it's taste, and the lower alcohol content (43% vs 46%) is a little easier on the palate... If it hadn't been for several of you in this thread, I'd have never tasted a peaty Islay Scotch.... Your posts on the subject were much appreciated.

Islay is deff my favorite. The first time I tried one was Lagavulin 16 and was hooked. I never new something could taste like that. Laphroaig they call the "love it or hate it" Scotch. I love it along with Ardbeg. Im glad you enjoy them. Something to keep your eyes open for is Ardbeg Wee Beastie it is a new 5 year old coming out from them and supposed to be very smokey.

I am sure by now many have heard about the Fairfield NJ distillery (Claremont) that is providing free hand sanitizer. For those who enjoy bourbon, a way to say thanks to their heroic efforts should be to enjoy a bottle of Claremont's Track and Rails. From what I hear it is pretty good.

https://claremontdistillery.com/bourbon/

I am sure by now many have heard about the Fairfield NJ distillery (Claremont) that is providing free hand sanitizer. For those who enjoy bourbon, a way to say thanks to their heroic efforts should be to enjoy a bottle of Claremont's Track and Rails. From what I hear it is pretty good.

https://claremontdistillery.com/bourbon/

I'd stop short of "heroic". They're redistilling heads and tails. Consider that, given Claremont's distillation capacity, they could produce enough distillate for about 7000 bottles of hand sanitizer in under 3 hours.

It's a nice thing to do - and make no mistake, there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of distilleries around the country doing the same thing. They should all have our gratitude, for certain. But the word "hero" is thrown around way too much in the modern era.

Reactions: RUforester72
I'd stop short of "heroic". They're redistilling heads and tails. Consider that, given Claremont's distillation capacity, they could produce enough distillate for about 7000 bottles of hand sanitizer in under 3 hours.

It's a nice thing to do - and make no mistake, there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of distilleries around the country doing the same thing. They should all have our gratitude, for certain. But the word "hero" is thrown around way too much in the modern era.
Their bottling machine broke and they decided to go ahead and they are filling bottles by hand and working round the clock.

Their bottling machine broke and they decided to go ahead and they are filling bottles by hand and working round the clock.

I think it's more likely that their bottler doesn't handle the viscosity of blended hand sanitizer. Totally expected. The flow switches on those machines won't work right.

Having some Lagavulin 11 Nick Offerman tonight. Classic Lagavulin smoke. Nothing better then a Islay scotch.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Asbury Park Distillery has bourbon that is quite smoothe. Really good for a Manhattan. And I’m very picky.

Thoughts on whistlepig rye? I picked up a bottle this evening.

also did the Jameson caskmate based on recommendation here.

Reactions: borochop

Had McKenna 10 in Delaware right before all the shit went down. Hadnt seen the McKenna brand locally since I was in Lexington a couple years ago. Very good - especially for the price point.

Has anyone tried Ironroot Harbinger? Not even sure if it's available around here. Multiple award winner, but I'm more interested in the bottle! The only reason I would pay $60 for a 2-year old bourbon.

960x0.jpg

Did you like it?

I picked up a mini bottle of this a few weeks back to try and really liked it. Then I bought a bottle of it and it was so sickly sweet I couldn't finish it. Not sure why the full bottle was so much sweeter. I made a mixed drink with Tia Maria and cream that was pretty good. Going to try mixing a bit of grape jelly to make a peanut butter and jelly liquor.

Received a bottle of Basil Hayden’s. Label says it is Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey Haven’t tried it yet. Has anyone heard of it/ tried it ?

Received a bottle of Basil Hayden’s. Label says it is Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey Haven’t tried it yet. Has anyone heard of it/ tried it ?

This is one of Jim Bean's small batch bourbons. It's a low proof starter bourbon, very easy drinker.

I have a special occasion coming up and was going to open a Macallen 18 Triple Cask, but a friend just gave me a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet, which I never tasted. Anyone ever try it?

ADVERTISEMENT