ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon/Whiskey

rufan3860

Sophomore
Jan 16, 2009
What's your favorite whiskey and what liquor store has the best selection?

As of this writing my favorite is High West's Campire found at Stew Leonard's (although it is not uncommon). One of the clerks said they had been allocated three bottle of Elmer T Lee and ran out the first day.

Look for the following:
Weller 12 year- Same mash bill as Pappy Van Winkle but way cheaper.
Green Spot Irish Whiskey

Reactions: waveslider
-1x-1.jpg

As of this writing my favorite is High West's Campire found at Stew Leonard's (although it is not uncommon). One of the clerks said they had been allocated three bottle of Elmer T Lee and ran out the first day.

You read my mind. First thing to pop to mind when I read your first sentence was "High West". Campfire is good - supposedly the only mix of Scotch, bourbon and rye out there - but usually I go with the cheaper, simpler American Prairie bourbon.

Have tried a few other Western micro-distilleries but High West is still my fave. Stranahan's from Colorado isn't bad, is a little cheaper than HW and comes with a free metal shot glass on the top as a bonus.

The whiskeys I drink the most of, these days, are: Balvenie 21, Macallan 18, and Macallan Rare Cask. They are all available at most liquor stores, I would think.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Never understood the difference between bourbon & whisky. I enjoy Woodford Reserve on the rocks. I enjoy Makers Mark in mixed drinks.

Bourbon is a type of whiskey, to be called a bourbon you have to follow strict laws in the US.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[18] must be:

Reactions: RC71
Ardbeg - but I think that's a scotch. Not many have it though... I'm always confused between Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon..... I just like it since it's different. Makers Mark also a favorite (since first trying it at an event at Revel in AC).

Saw this on the tv show "Drinking Made Easy". You can barrel age your own cocktails. Place your cocktail in a jar with a piece of charred oak. Leave it in the jar for as long as you want, tasting as you go for optimal flavor.
I suppose you could also make your own "bourbon" using a neutral, corn based spirit. Never tried, but looks fun.
tuthilltown_items_27.jpg

Bourbon is a type of whiskey, to be called a bourbon you have to follow strict laws in the US.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[18] must be:

Not a legal requirement but one that is supported by the industry and American consumers is that bourbon is made almost exclusively in Kentucky. Something like 95% of bourbons sold in the US are made in Kentucky.

Reactions: RU Golfer

Wearing my High West tee shirt to work today.

Reactions: JBL7979
I like those two as well but keep them for myself. We do a bottle of Jim Beam Black in the yellow lot before each game. Started that at the WVU Blizzard game and never stopped.

WVU blizzard game seems like the perfect time to start a memorable tradition, especially one involving whiskey.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Noah's Mill used to be a fantastic bourbon. They don't have enough of the 15 year aged to meet demand anymore so they started blending it with four year a couple of years ago, so the quality has dropped off some. Damn shame.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Reactions: William J. Leggett
Best bang for your buck...$25-$30.....

and I think it is better than most $50+ bottles...
11402.jpg

That stuff is pretty good. Just had that on a camping trip for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder; I might have forgotten all about it otherwise ; )

Reactions: MikeRU09

Jefferson Private Reserve. Smooth
Garrison (Austin, TX). Strong, but good sipping bourbon

Reactions: njbfr and SHUSource
I am a Buffalo Trace guy as well for the price can't beat it. My friends has about 10 bottles of all different years of Pappy that I need to get into though.

Reactions: MikeRU09
I like those two as well but keep them for myself. We do a bottle of Jim Beam Black in the yellow lot before each game. Started that at the WVU Blizzard game and never stopped.
Jim Beam Black at its very low price point is so good. All others in that price range are for mixing only but that is very smooth.

Jefferson Private Reserve. Smooth
Garrison (Austin, TX). Strong, but good sipping bourbon
I was on the committee for a golf member guest and one of the gifts we gave out was a bottle of Jefferson Small batch. We bought our own barrel and gave them as gifts. The club took the extra after the committee members all bought 8-10 bottles apiece for $20 a piece.

Reactions: DJYoshi and rucoe89
My favorites:

Midwinter Night's Dram from High West Distillery
Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Brandy Cask (the white corn was very good also)

I cannot find Midwinter anywhere. I'm assuming it's a seasonal release, but I figured there would be some stragglers left on the shelf.

Also, Woodford Brandy cask is excellent. Another one I like is Breakers Port Barrel Finish.

Not a legal requirement but one that is supported by the industry and American consumers is that bourbon is made almost exclusively in Kentucky. Something like 95% of bourbons sold in the US are made in Kentucky.
With the increasing popularity of craft distilleries, I'm surprised if that percentage holds. (And, since Jack Daniels is technically bourbon, it probably was never 95%).

With the increasing popularity of craft distilleries, I'm surprised if that percentage holds. (And, since Jack Daniels is technically bourbon, it probably was never 95%).
Them there fighting words.... Don't say that to anyone from Tennessee or Kentucky for that matter. Tennessee is just as proud as Kentucky for their whiskey. But agreed Jack Daniels mash bill is that of a bourbon.

ADVERTISEMENT