ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon/Whiskey

I have a special occasion coming up and was going to open a Macallen 18 Triple Cask, but a friend just gave me a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet, which I never tasted. Anyone ever try it?

Yes the Signet is fantastic. Im actually having a dram of it right now. It is in one of my favorites. It has a taste to it that I dont find in any other scotch. Some kind of cocoa malt. I never had the Macallen 18 Triple Cask so I cant speak on that. I have had other Macallens and they tast kinda similar to me, mostly sherry bombs, but IMO nothing else I tasted is similar to the Signet. Let us know how you like if you try it.

Yes the Signet is fantastic. Im actually having a dram of it right now. It is in one of my favorites. It has a taste to it that I dont find in any other scotch. Some kind of cocoa malt. I never had the Macallen 18 Triple Cask so I cant speak on that. I have had other Macallens and they tast kinda similar to me, mostly sherry bombs, but IMO nothing else I tasted is similar to the Signet. Let us know how you like if you try it.

Glenmorangie probably isn't doing this, but... I've done a fair amount of experimental distilling using the variety of flavored barley on the market (for the brewers). There's various degrees of smoke, there's chocolate, there's fruit-flavored... The flavors are very, very muted once the mash is distilled, but there's definitely a flavor profile there - it's discernible.

Pogue is outstanding.

There was a tailgate, maybe 10 years ago, that was a largely Pogue-inspired train wreck.

Nice - it’s hard to come by in Central Ohio if at all.

For me - Col. Taylor small batch is the best bourbon I’ve ever tasted. Can’t find that very easy either.

4Real what is your “go-to” bourbon and source of bourbon news?

Nice - it’s hard to come by in Central Ohio if at all.

For me - Col. Taylor small batch is the best bourbon I’ve ever tasted. Can’t find that very easy either.

4Real what is your “go-to” bourbon and source of bourbon news?

You're gonna laugh. Probably many people will laugh.

My "daily bourbon" is good ol' Jim Beam.

I generally have three or four other bourbons in the cabinet, as well as a couple of single malts, but the daily go-to is poured out of a 1.75 bottle of Beam (assuming I'm not drinking one of the others).

Per your second question, I'm a member of the ADI (American Distilling Institute) so I get their emails, their newsletter, their occasional magazine, etc. I also, apparently, have a subscription to Whiskey Advocate magazine, but I have no idea how or why. It just started showing up, every quarter, about 4 years ago and hasn't stopped.

Edit: I would be remiss to not mention HomeDistiller.org. It's run out of Australia, has a very active forum that features, among its membership, some of the more notorious moonshiners in the U.S. (anonymously, of course) and is an amazing resource if you're interested in learning from guys who have generations worth of knowledge about distilled spirits.

So - picked up a bottle of Larceny (small batch wheated) this weekend and digging into it now...earthy/grassy would be an understatement.

Pogue is outstanding.

There was a tailgate, maybe 10 years ago, that was a largely Pogue-inspired train wreck.
I need more Pogue as I killed my bottle of Pogue 12 a few days ago. One of just a handful of whiskey casualties during lockdown. Benash in Cherry Hill has a Pogue 12 store select that they brought in for St. Paddy's Day that's actually a bit boozier at 86 proof instead of the standard 80 proof. Think I'll grab it soon.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Islay is deff my favorite. The first time I tried one was Lagavulin 16 and was hooked. I never new something could taste like that. Laphroaig they call the "love it or hate it" Scotch. I love it along with Ardbeg. Im glad you enjoy them. Something to keep your eyes open for is Ardbeg Wee Beastie it is a new 5 year old coming out from them and supposed to be very smokey.
Lagavulin 16 has always been my favorite SMS. Here is my story on how I was introduced to it. I have always been a scotch drinker. Drank the blends until one day, say 20 years ago. I was in a liquor shop around holiday time. They had a five bottle gift pack of mini bottles of single malts from each of the major scotch producing regions of Scotland. In each pack was Lagavulin 16, Cragganmore,Talisker, Scapa.
I still remember pouring that first Lagavulin 16. It was winter, roaring fire going, just got in from shoveling after A snow storm. Got showered, have the TV on low. I am dog tired from shoveling the driveway. I take my snifter out, look at the package...turn it over read a little about each scotch and the region it comes from. I choose the Lagavulin 16, open the mini bottle which is just a little bit bigger than two airplane bottles of liquor. I pour it into my glass...I lift the glass to my nose and it hits me like a Mack truck. When I lifted the glass to my nose, the wonderful smell danced across my olfactory hairs like the aroma of a fat sandwich or a bad fart in an elevator. This was no subtle hint of aroma carried on the wind but a full on frontal attack. The aroma of Smokey peat, the sweetness of spring flowers, ocean salt air, freshly mowed grass and bacon. It was so complex, and my emotions were running wild with this new wonderful smell I was trying to sort out in my mind.
I then take the glass and lift it to my lips, I stop before I am going to take a sip and still contemplate the aroma of this liquid. I slowly tilt the glass to my lips and take a half dollar sip. I roll the liquid across my tongue several times and savor the flavor. Each roll the flavor increases as the liquid warms. The same flavors are present as the smells, smoke, sweetness, fresh cut grass and bacon are all there in their glorious harmony. I am hooked. I have truly found the nectar of the Gods! From that moment forwards single malts are my favorite drink to this day. I either drink them straight up or cut them with a few drops of water. That night I tried that single malt was a life changing moment and one I am all the richer for having.

Picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1920 on sale at ShopRite liquors. I'm really enjoying it. The dark chocolate notes are really pronounced.

BigMatt I've heard about Smoke Wagon. They have a 10yr old called Desert Jewel. I have yet to see it in NJ. Is it any good?
Haven't had the 10 yet but the Small Batch is delicious. Canals in Mount Ephraim in South Jersey is the only place in NJ I've seen it. That's where I scored it.

I was so excited to see a bottle of Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch last week so I grabbed it sinc it's been hard to find in these parts, Also picked up a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked because I've heard good things. Haven't opened the CEHT yet, since I've had it in the past. The Woodford Reserve is really nice, if a bit on the sweet side,

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Just watched a show about Bourbon city otherwise known as Bardstown Kentucky voted best small town in America. If it has already been mentioned here I don't care. Not going to comb 400 posts to find out. I have had two glasses of bourbon in my life My ex brother in law made me drink them as I threatened to run out of the hall 20 minutes before my ill fated nuptials . It kept me there but I have never forgiven him.

Just watched a show about Bourbon city otherwise known as Bardstown Kentucky voted best small town in America. If it has already been mentioned here I don't care. Not going to comb 400 posts to find out. I have had two glasses of bourbon in my life My ex brother in law made me drink them as I threatened to run out of the hall 20 minutes before my ill fated nuptials . It kept me there but I have never forgiven him.

Bardstown is pretty cool. I don't know about "best small town in America" because you have to think that the Baudoinia compniacensis would, at the very least, be a little off-putting. In Bardstown, because there are several distilleries, the stuff covers almost every available surface.

It's also a bit of a tourist trap. Nevertheless, "Highly Recommend".

Scotch Whisky Salvaged From 80-Year-Old Shipwreck To Be Sold At Auction

It’s called sunken scotch. And it’s practically a category unto itself: whisky rescued from the cargoes of a wrecked ship, resting for untold periods of time below the tides. Every few years tales of brown spirit raised from these depths grab headlines, while the liquor itself fetches top dollar at auction. The latest example happens to be scotch salvaged from perhaps the most famous shipwreck of the modern era. And it’s expected to earn as much as $20,000 in an on-going auction now live, online.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradja...m-80-year-old-shipwreck-to-be-sold-at-auction

Reactions: Postman_1
I have a question about Islay scotches, for scotch connoiseurs..

A few months ago I posted when I first decided to try smokey and peaty Islay scotches because of posts in this thread... I ended up really liking Laphroig 10, and I also tried a bottle of Ardbeg 10. Both were good, but I preferred the Laphroig. The more peaty/smokey/phenolic that an Islay scotch is, the more I appreciate the uniqueness of it.

So upon hearing today that our '20 football season was cancelled by the conference, I took a trip to my largest local liquor store chain here in AZ to pick up some fall season emergency survival rations... (smile).

I decided to compare Laphroig and the highly touted Lagavulin, but the only Lagavulin my liquor store had was Game of Thrones Lagavulin 9 yr, so I bought it, along with another bottle of Laphroig 10.... After a taste comparison, I like the Laphroig-10 better... The Laphroig seems to have more smoke/peat flavor and smell, and less burn when drinking neat... Granted, the Lagavulin 9 yr is 46% alcohol, and the smoother Laphroig 10 is 43%.... And the Laphroig was 32 bucks, vs 68 bucks for the Lagavulin 9 yr.

With that being said, my question to those of you who may be more experienced with Islay scotches, is, should I still try to find a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr to try it and see if the flavor, and degree of smoke/peat meets my expectations, or will the Lagavulin 9yr Game of Thrones that I tried be a good indicator of the taste and smokiness & peat levels of Lagavulin scotches in general?

Last edited:
Hi guys... This is a question about Islay scotches, for scotch connoiseurs..

A few months ago I posted when I first decided to try smokey and peaty Islay scotches because of posts in this thread... I ended up loving Laphroig 10, and I also tried a bottle of Ardbeg 10. Both were good, but I preferred the Laphroig. For me, the more peaty/smokey/phenolic that an Islay scotch is, the more I appreciate the uniqueness of it.

So upon hearing today that our '20 football season was cancelled by the conference, I took a trip to my largest local liquor store chain here in AZ to pick up some fall season emergency survival rations... (smile).

On a previous post in this group, I'd decided that I liked the taste/smell of Laphroig 10 better than Ardbeg 10. Today, I decided to compare Laphroig and the highly touted Laguvalin, but the only Laguvalin my liquor store had was Game of Thrones Laguvalin 9 yr, so I bought it, along with a bottle of my go-to Laphroig 10.... After a taste comparison, I like the Laphroig-10 better than the Laguvalin 9 yr Game of Thrones... The Laphroig has more smoke/peat flavor and smell, and less burn when drinking neat... Granted, the Laguvalin 9 yr is 46% alcohol, and the smoother Laphroig 10 is 43%.... But the Laphroig was 32 bucks, vs 68 bucks for the Laguvalin Game of Thrones 9 yr that I didn't like as much, and the smoke/peat flavor/smell that I like was definitely more pronounced in the Laphroig.

With that being said, my question to those of you who may be more experienced with Islay scotches, is, should I still try to find the more prestigious Laguvalin 16yr to try it and see if the flavor, and degree of smoke/peat meets my expectations, or will the Laguvalin 9yr Game of Thrones that I tried, be a good indicator of the taste and smokiness & peat levels of all Laguvalin scotches, which, if so, will probably restrict me to buying the cheaper and more appreciated (for now) Laphroig-10 in the future ???

PS- I appreciate everyone who's posted here about Islay scotches in the past. I never would have known about them, or would have thought to try them, if it wasn't for this thread. Thanks.
I recently got into Islays as well, but I have read that younger ones provide a peatier taste than older ones.

I recently got into Islays as well, but I have read that younger ones provide a peatier taste than older ones.

That is correct. The fewer years in the barrel, the less angels breath. More angels breath equal less peat flavor. Hence, if you want peat, less years, all else being equal, is better.

edit: it’s angels share, not breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: robcac26
Bardstown is pretty cool. I don't know about "best small town in America" because you have to think that the Baudoinia compniacensis would, at the very least, be a little off-putting. In Bardstown, because there are several distilleries, the stuff covers almost every available surface.

It's also a bit of a tourist trap. Nevertheless, "Highly Recommend".

I’ve recently picked up (and subsequently stocked up) on 1792. For the price, I consider it very good. Have you tried it?

Currently binge watching Justified. Bourbon is all these people drink on this show. Its based in Kentucky and its pretty bad ass.

I’ve recently picked up (and subsequently stocked up) on 1792. For the price, I consider it very good. Have you tried it?

I picked up the 1792 Full Proof SiB store pick from Shop Rite Liquors in Westfield. I'm enjoying it. Sweet heat. Probably not World Whisky of the Year good, according to the Whisky Bible, but well worth the $46 for a 125 proof bourbon. There were cases of this available.

I picked up the 1792 Full Proof SiB store pick from Shop Rite Liquors in Westfield. I'm enjoying it. Sweet heat. Probably not World Whisky of the Year good, according to the Whisky Bible, but well worth the $46 for a 125 proof bourbon. There were cases of this available.

That sounds like good value, and I will be on the lookout. I don’t have the 125 proof near me. Mine is the simple small batch, which is about $12 less per bottle.

I recently picked up a bottle of Red Spot. I really enjoy Green Spot, and the first time I had it was at a pub in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day. I spent a while debating it because it was 10 euro for an ounce, but I eventually pulled the trigger and was glad I did because it was the last thing I bought before getting my wallet stolen by a pickpocket. Green Spot is very good, Red Spot is too. I should pick up a bottle of Green Spot to compare them side by side. I haven't had Yellow Spot, probably because if I remember correctly it is aged in wine barrels and I'm not a huge wine fan.

I also have recently gotten into Islays, segued from Connemara, a peated Irish whiskey. I have been working through a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Year Cask Strength. Very strong, need to water it down a bit. I'd say the peatiness is more on the iodine side than smokiness. Once I'm done with this I'm looking forward to picking up a bottle of Ardbeg Uigedail or Corryvreckan. I've read conflicting reviews on which of those has a smokier taste. If anyone on here has had those and can weigh in, it would be much appreciated!

I also have recently gotten into Islays, segued from Connemara, a peated Irish whiskey. I have been working through a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Year Cask Strength. Very strong, need to water it down a bit. I'd say the peatiness is more on the iodine side than smokiness. Once I'm done with this I'm looking forward to picking up a bottle of Ardbeg Uigedail or Corryvreckan. I've read conflicting reviews on which of those has a smokier taste. If anyone on here has had those and can weigh in, it would be much appreciated!
I really enjoy the Ardbeg 10 yo - definitely a smoky taste. In fact I might go for that tonight.

This NJ man quit his job to travel cross country and drink whiskey.
This NJ man quit his job to travel cross country and drink whiskey. Now he's Instagram famous

Nice work if you can get it! My fraternity brothers @e5fdny and @RUInsanity may recognize the writer.

ADVERTISEMENT