ADVERTISEMENT

OT: British Open

I watched today and I'll be watching tomorrow and pulling for Phil. I don't feel the buzz of a Major, hopefully it wil be there tomorrow. I'm guessing golf ratings are down, but I'm a diehard for the Majors. Stricker playing well too .

swe.gif
Henrik Stenson -12 -3 F 68 65 68 - 201
usa.gif
Phil Mickelson -11 -1 F 63 69 70 - 202
usa.gif
Bill Haas -6 -2 F 68 70 69 - 207
eng.gif
Andrew Johnston -5 -1 F 69 69 70 - 208
usa.gif
J.B. Holmes -4 -2 F 70 70 69 - 209
usa.gif
Steve Stricker -3 -3 F 67 75 68 - 210
usa.gif
Tony Finau -3 +1 F 67 71 72 - 210
den.gif
Soren Kjeldsen -3 +4 F 67 68 75 - 210
usa.gif
Patrick Reed -2 E F 66 74 71 - 211
esp.gif
Sergio Garcia -2 +2 F 68 70 73 - 211
rsa.gif
Charl Schwartzel -2 +2 F 72 66 73 - 211
usa.gif
Keegan Bradley -2 +5

I watched today and I'll be watching tomorrow and pulling for Phil. I don't feel the buzz of a Major, hopefully it wil be there tomorrow. I'm guessing golf ratings are down, but I'm a diehard for the Majors. Stricker playing well too .

swe.gif
Henrik Stenson -12 -3 F 68 65 68 - 201
usa.gif
Phil Mickelson -11 -1 F 63 69 70 - 202
usa.gif
Bill Haas -6 -2 F 68 70 69 - 207
eng.gif
Andrew Johnston -5 -1 F 69 69 70 - 208
usa.gif
J.B. Holmes -4 -2 F 70 70 69 - 209
usa.gif
Steve Stricker -3 -3 F 67 75 68 - 210
usa.gif
Tony Finau -3 +1 F 67 71 72 - 210
den.gif
Soren Kjeldsen -3 +4 F 67 68 75 - 210
usa.gif
Patrick Reed -2 E F 66 74 71 - 211
esp.gif
Sergio Garcia -2 +2 F 68 70 73 - 211
rsa.gif
Charl Schwartzel -2 +2 F 72 66 73 - 211
usa.gif
Keegan Bradley -2 +5
needs to shoot a 68 or better...i'd love to see him grab the British Open!!! Its there for him if he does his thing..

I think Phil needs to shoot 65 to win.
If you're up for betting, I'm happy to say no way in hell will 17-under be needed to win this. With basically a match play situation, I think they'll be keeping each other in check. My guess is 14-under wins.

Reactions: rubaseball78
If you're up for betting, I'm happy to say no way in hell will 17-under be needed to win this. With basically a match play situation, I think they'll be keeping each other in check. My guess is 14-under wins.
I was thinking it wouldn't be unreasonable for Stenson to shoot a 67, which means Phil needs a 65 to win outright.

This is a 2-man tournament. Would be very surprised to see both Phil and Henrik falter to the point that someone back in the pack could win. Also, with conditions expected to be decent (little to no rain and breezy, but not windy), I expect to see one of the leaders get to at least -14, which would be my guess for the winning score. Hope it's Phil, as he's my favorite golfer, although if he doesn't win, seeing Stenson win would be nice, too, as he's one of the best to have never won a major, kind of like DJ was until the US Open this year.

Phil somehow shot 1-under today, despite playing pretty poorly. His scrambling and putting kept him from shooting 75. His play on 12, where he somehow chopped that shot out of the edge of the gorse, hit a wedge with incredible backspin to move the ball from 30 feet away back to about 8 feet, and then made the par putt, was the hole of the tournament, IMO - he could've easily made 8 if he screwed up that shot from the gorse and a bogey seemed at least to be a given.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/...s-insane-par-from-gorse-bush-at-british-open/

I'm watching. I think that Phil's experience will be the difference. I have a question for those on the Board that have been to Scotland. I'm going in August for a two week golf and Scotch vacation. I'm going to play a lot of the Open courses but I am undecided about the last course to play. I'll be staying in Troon and can't decide between playing Troon or going down the west coast a little to play Turnberry? What are your thoughts?

Phil almosts holes out from the 1st fairway ! Bird coming up .

edit, 2 stroke swing as Hensen bogeys, Phil takes the lead on the very 1st hole ! Good start.

Last edited:
Old guys rule. Phil 46, Stenson 40. Where are the young guns?

If the weather holds, it may take one to shoot 67 or lower to win outright. As Johnny Miller just said these guys can adjust to consistent winds. It's gusty conditions that gives them problems. You Florida and Texas guys probably know this all too well.

Daly vs Van de Velde (sp?) was my favorite final day Open to watch.

I believe it was Daly vs Rocca at St Andrews.

Last year's finish with Z Johnson, Spieth, Day, and others was pretty intense. People forget Phil was in that until he put his drive on a hotel balcony on 17?

20 under could be the winning score. Pretty easy for a Major, but only 1 day of bad weather, so they never know at The Open.

Holy crap, these guys are simply on a different level, today. Like a heavyweight bout with haymaker after haymaker. Stenson up one at the turn, -16 to -15. Maybe we'll need -17 or -18 to win after all, although keep in mind the back nine is much tougher than the front, so they could back up a little.

And they both birdie 10 to go to -17 and -16 - we're watching something very special here, folks.

I was going to cut the lawn and come back to watch the last 3 holes, but will wait til later. Plus watching the horrible events in Baton Rouge during commercials.

I was going to cut the lawn and come back to watch the last 3 holes, but will wait til later. Plus watching the horrible events in Baton Rouge during commercials.

Yeah, the lawn can wait, lol. What a putt by Phil on 12, once again saving par after some loose shots on that hole, like yesterday. Still tied at -16, after Stenson's 3-putt on 11 (some bad luck there on his nearly 360-degree lip out). Have no idea who's going to win this, but am loving it.

This is some amazing golf, especially when you consider how much better than the field these two are. These guys are just striping every shot it seems (except Phil on 12).

Stenson birdies 14 from nearly 20 feet to get to -17 with Phil at -16. Four holes to go. The pressure builds. Fun stuff.

Stenson w another great putt , 2 stroke lead w 3 to go. Phil needs some magic and some help too.

Yeah, that was a bomb. Stenson hasn't shown any signs of a bad swing yet, so Phil probably has to birdie the last 3 holes to have any shot. Unless the pressure finally gets to Henrik...

Until now. I wonder if he would have laid up if Phil hadn't put it on the green?

Yeah, that was a bomb. Stenson hasn't shown any signs of a bad swing yet, so Phil probably has to birdie the last 3 holes to have any shot. Unless the pressure finally gets to Henrik...

Hmmm, maybe the pressure just got to Stenson, with a loose 3-wood into the rough on 16 and Phil 20 feet away for eagle. Could be a 2-shot swing or at least 1 shot gained by Phil.

Phil has an eagle putt and Stenson hooked his second shot into some snarly looking stuff. It will depend on his lie. Phil has a chance to make Stenson's knees knock a bit.

Good save shot from the tall fescue from Stenson. Phil needs some magic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT