ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bruce Sutter dead at 69

Was a valued closer on my stratomatic team back in the day.
I used to play stratomatic for hours on end. I think I started with the 1977 year and the player that always stands out to me that was a HOF automatic - Rod Carew clone was Lyman Bostock. Most of us old times most likely remember him but youngsters don't

One of my favorite players growing up as a Cubs fan. The teams I rooted for as a kid weren't very good, but they had some bright spots like Bruce and I could always count on him being in the All-Star game. RIP- way too young!

I used to play stratomatic for hours on end. I think I started with the 1977 year and the player that always stands out to me that was a HOF automatic - Rod Carew clone was Lyman Bostock. Most of us old times most likely remember him but youngsters don't
Was he the one who was shot dead?

Was he the one who was shot dead?
yes he was...dude was just coming into his own and was already running HOF type numbers. I think in 4 years, just about a .320 BA playing CF - guy could all out rake and very good fielder- he gets the Carew comparisons as he came up in Minn during Carew's prime.

I remember Bostock. Was tragically murdered right?

I first saw Sutter when I went to Wrigley in July, 1976 (I was then a newcomer in Chicago) to see the Reds (then the defending world champions, who went on to win the world championship that year, too) play the Cubs. Sutter was then a rookie and an unknown. He was unhittable and got the save. The Chicago fans would sing (based on the Alka-Seltzer jingle), "Plop-plop, fizz-fizz, oh what a relief he is!" He was younger than I am -- his passing is a shock.

I first saw Sutter when I went to Wrigley in July, 1976 (I was then a newcomer in Chicago) to see the Reds (then the defending world champions, who went on to win the world championship that year, too) play the Cubs. Sutter was then a rookie and an unknown. He was unhittable and got the save. The Chicago fans would sing (based on the Alka-Seltzer jingle), "Plop-plop, fizz-fizz, oh what a relief he is!" He was younger than I am -- his passing is a shock.
His sinker was unhittable. It’s funny, because I can’t remember him throwing anything else. I think he would get a few guys with a 90ish FB that started the same place as his sinker but stayed on the low corner. Hitter would be expecting it to be in the dirt.
I always felt he was the best until Mariano

His sinker was unhittable. It’s funny, because I can’t remember him throwing anything else. I think he would get a few guys with a 90ish FB that started the same place as his sinker but stayed on the low corner. Hitter would be expecting it to be in the dirt.
It was actually a split-finger fastball (the same kind of pitch Hector Neris throws when he is effective). As you say, he would also throw a fastball to keep hitters honest. He had very long fingers, and that allowed him to throw the split-finger effectively. The pitch is harder on the elbow than most pitches, and I recall Sutter having arm trouble during his time with the Cubs.

Actually Sutter was famous for his split finger fastball that looked like a fastball heading to the plate at first , but dropping quickly as it reached the batter.
Yes it was just about unhittable most of the time and that what made him a great closer.
Arm problems as a minor leaguer caused his taking up the splitter as his main weapon

Actually Sutter was famous for his split finger fastball that looked like a fastball heading to the plate at first , but dropping quickly as it reached the batter.
Yes it was just about unhittable most of the time and that what made him a great closer.
Arm problems as a minor leaguer caused his taking up the splitter as his main weapon
It is funny- you never hear of many using the split finger as much as they did back then and then a ton in the 90's. I believe that was also Cone's go to pitch and Mike Scott- with a little help. lol

It is funny- you never hear of many using the split finger as much as they did back then and then a ton in the 90's. I believe that was also Cone's go to pitch and Mike Scott- with a little help. lol
Mike Scott , had a grant splitter and a little sandpaper made it even better .
Mike should have sanded the ball down as a Met, but the Astros got the benefit of his scuff marks 😊

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Mike Scott , had a grant splitter and a little sandpaper made it even better .
Mike should have sanded the ball down as a Met, but the Astros got the benefit of his scuff marks 😊
Funny how Astros have done this for almost 40 years, imagine how good Cole would be if he stayed there.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Funny how Astros have done this for almost 40 years, imagine how good Cole would be if he stayed there.
hell Huston can even make a trash can "shine" for them where other teams treat those cans like just for garbage , the Astros know how to use them as part of their game plan 😁

ADVERTISEMENT