ADVERTISEMENT

OT: California Wildfires

Hilarious. Antifa is hiding under your bed right now.
Seriously, is it really necessary for all of the disciples to parrot the words of the Rev. Sun Myung Trump ?
BTW, what exactly do you know about Antifa ? How large is its membership ? How often do they have meetings ?
Which areas of the country have the most members of the group ?
Ask Andy Ngo.

Are you being disingenuous or are you ignorant to the climate similarities to the US PACNW and SW Canada? He's not comparing Saint Louis to Toronto.

Are you? Climate similarities don't mean exactly the same weather, year in and year out.

Now, go look at the respective fire danger maps from WA and BC. Tell me if similar climates are relevant to conditions right now.

Reactions: Caliknight
some-people-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn.jpg

California is an unfortunate combination of bad factors that add up to this new norm for them.

Overpopulation
Climate change
A Mediterranean climate that, by definition, is always summer dry (late Oct to Mar rains)
Living in areas of the state that dry up annually.

Unless it is an El Niño year then they swing the other way.
They also stopped control burns and the logging of dead trees, making that state a tinder box

Are you? Climate similarities don't mean exactly the same weather, year in and year out.

Now, go look at the respective fire danger maps from WA and BC. Tell me if similar climates are relevant to conditions right now.
Ok so you're ignorant. Pick any town in British Columbia and compare to your favorite city in the Pacific Northwest and you'll see the weather pretty much is a "spitting image" of one another. That pretty much is the definition of "similar climate."

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Ok so you're ignorant. Pick any town in British Columbia and compare to your favorite city in the Pacific Northwest and you'll see the weather pretty much is a "spitting image" of one another. That pretty much is the definition of "similar climate."

No, but you're clearly blind, illiterate and/or dumb. BC is huge and has many different microclimates and original post I to which I responded added Alberta, a whole separate set. So you're not even right about that part ...at all, but it doesn't matter because no one (but you) is talking climate.

Hint: weather isn't climate. Discussion is what's happening on the ground right now. Fire seasons vary from year to year in the same place (with the same climate!!) and they vary from place to place ..like they are right now!!

Get the facemask out your eyes and re-read the thread. Then go look at the fire danger maps,. Hint: they're quite different, for BC vs WA and within BC and WA. Hint 2: That's based on weather, as described right in the link the other guy provided.

Make a relevant argument with real facts next time or sit this one out.

Reactions: RUforester72
I am familiar with (and you probably are too) with what they do here in NJ in and around the Pine Barrens--they are called controlled burns. Every spring, the state forest service burns out the underbrush and dead wood to cut down the fuel load for the upcoming forest fire season.

Do they regularly do controlled burns in California and Oregon?
Yes they do but the challenge is to be able to do enough burns to make a difference.

Controlled burns always have a degree of risk. The operation is greatly dependent on the accuracy of the weather forecast, both short and longer term.

And controlled burns require adequate funding and a supportive public. Smoke and clean air regs often collide and the clean air regs rule, despite the fact that prescribed fire will lessen the chance and severity of the inevitable wildfires, and thus actually reduce the amount of smoke in the air over time. Many people won't believe or accept this notion.

My guess is that throughout the west, the Forest Service is using prescribed fire on about 10-20% of the areas that require it, due to $$$$ and Clean Air Regulations.

Reactions: Knightmoves
My guess is that throughout the west, the Forest Service is using prescribed fire on about 10-20% of the areas that require it, due to $$$$ and Clean Air Regulations.
Anyone of a certain age who has ever worked in an auto parts store or is car nut knows this...remember the special section in a parts catalog for “California Emissions”

Reactions: Knightmoves
They also stopped control burns and the logging of dead trees, making that state a tinder box

The States out West aren't the only ones....

New York State contains The Adirondack Park. The largest Part in the USA, larger than some States.
Several years ago the Park had severe micro bursts of wind that took down millions of trees. So the State decided to leave the downed trees and not forest the lumber, the reason given was that so many millions of board feet of lumber would have depressed the timber industry in North America.

So that lumber is now dead trees and brush still in the forest.

Anyone of a certain age who has ever worked in an auto parts store or is car nut knows this...remember the special section in a parts catalog for “California Emissions”

FWIW, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington all use California emissions regulations.

FWIW, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington all use California emissions regulations.
I meant back in the early 80s.

Should have been more specific.

You were perfectly understandable....

At least for those of us alive with a driving license in the 80's.

I gave a quick lookup but couldn't nail down the event.. but iirc. there was a controlled burn event in Arizona that resulted in a terrible wildfire. And at that time, there was public reaction in many places demonizing controlled burns. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that triggered a lot of communities to find reasons to NOT do controlled burns.

I gave a quick lookup but couldn't nail down the event.. but iirc. there was a controlled burn event in Arizona that resulted in a terrible wildfire. And at that time, there was public reaction in many places demonizing controlled burns. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that triggered a lot of communities to find reasons to NOT do controlled burns.

I think I remember this as well. The prescribed burns do bo badly some times. However, there is little doubt we're going to see more in the future; though at a cost of increased CO2 emissions.

I think I remember this as well. The prescribed burns do bo badly some times. However, there is little doubt we're going to see more in the future; though at a cost of increased CO2 emissions.
No. By using prescribed fire, you will reduce the probability and severity of subsequent fires, resulting in a net reduction of emissions. The US EPA has officially recognized this and has encouraged the states to review and loosen their Clean Air act-related smoke regulations.

That has indeed happened more than a few times. It is not an exact science. But in the past decade there is less resistance to controlled burns. The resulting success in reducing the size and severity of wildfire has convinced even the hard core skeptics that prescribed fire is a critical tool in fighting catastrophic wildfires.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
NASA has measured green coverage around the World since satellites have photographed the World since the 70's.

Their 'science' is that there is MORE green coverage now than at any time they began measuring.

Green eats CO 2.

NASA has measured green coverage around the World since satellites have photographed the World since the 70's.

Their 'science' is that there is MORE green coverage now than at any time they began measuring.

Green eats CO 2.

Exactly. The focus on CO2 is incredibly stupid. If there is more CO2 in the atmosphere the plants will just grow bigger. Some greenhouses actually pump in CO2 to increase their yield. Soil erosion, desertification, synthetic chemical fertilizers and herbicides are far bigger problems for the environment.

California and the rest of the west should be focused on soil building, retaining water, covering the soil with vegetation, prescribed burns and managing the forest. Soil also holds more carbon than the atmosphere so more soil will also fix the CO2 "problem" if there even is a problem.

No. By using prescribed fire, you will reduce the probability and severity of subsequent fires, resulting in a net reduction of emissions. The US EPA has officially recognized this and has encouraged the states to review and loosen their Clean Air act-related smoke regulations.

You are correct, and the the proof is now apparent to all.

Lots of bogus science here.

Certainly controlled burns would help, but the intensity of these fires has increased exponentially due to the consequences of climate change.

The wet season produces more rain, which means more growth. The dry season is now longer and warmer, drying out the vegetation. So fires have far more available fuel.

Other climate change contributing factors include stronger winds due to greater differences in energy levels and increased possibility of "dry" lightning strikes due to low moisture in the air.

It is far more complicated than this, but double the number of acres than the highest previous totals have burned in the west this year.

Congratulations to those of you burying your heads in the sand. Your children and grand-children will pay the price, but of course you can count on Fox News blaming people on the other side of the political spectrum somehow.

Congratulations to those of you burying your heads in the sand. Your children and grand-children will pay the price, but of course you can count on Fox News blaming people on the other side of the political spectrum somehow.

You mean those who let dead wood and dry underbrush build up for at least half a century?

Reactions: BigWill and RUDead
You mean those who let dead wood and dry underbrush build up for at least half a century?

If they only had bought more carbon credits from Goldman Sachs it would be 72 degrees and sunny all day with a light shower every night.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
an acre of grass and weeds is nothing in CO2 remission compared to an acre of old-growth forest... satellites would have to do better than just seeing "green" (and I am sure they can).

Also.. pompous ass is gonna pompous ass.

There are beautiful mountain estates lake front on Lake Placid for half of what they paid for Oceanfront property and they are at about 1,000 feet above CURRENT sea levels.

That's a lot of glaciers melting....

Study on wildfires from University of Colorado:

To make matters worse, humans are responsible for starting almost all the wildfires in developed areas that threaten U.S. homes. In a newly published study, we show that through activities like debris burning, equipment use and arson, people ignited 97% of home-threatening wildfires in the wildland-urban interface between 1992 and 2015. For comparison, when fires in undeveloped areas are also counted, humans started 84% of all wildfires between 1992 and 2012, with lightning as the main natural cause.

ADVERTISEMENT