ADVERTISEMENT

OT:..update: Our guy just ran the 2nd fastest time in NCAA ever....AGAIN TODAY!

Moving this kind of thread to another board is just stupid.

No one ever goes to that board, and these kind of accomplishments by RU athletes are worthy of a widespread shoutout that is seen by many, and allows us to know the good things happening in RU sports.

Oh, and congrats Taj Burgess!!!
Go RU!!

Great news. Great run. Also this is pretty cool too.

Rutgers dominated the mile run on the men’s side with junior Patrick Walsh, senior Cole Pschunder and senior Sean Martinek running times of 4:13.45, 4:16.87 and 4:20.56 to sweep the podium.

This warms my heart. For years track has often been - in my opinion - the most chronically underequipped team at Rutgers, always asked to do more with less. I'm looking forward to seeing not only what Burgess can do in the quarter, but what Bob Farrell can do with the program. I have high hopes.

I wouldn't know what a good time is but the sweep is cool.

First place by our guy and his time is good, considering he won, anytime is acceptable but not so impressive beyond that.

For comparison here are the results from last years NJ HS state championships:

Boys 1600 Meter Run
============================================================================
Name Year School Seed Finals H#
1 Dolan, Sean 12 Hopewell Val 4:09.14 2
2 Baginski, Will 12 Ridgewood HS 4:11.88 2
3 Cooper, Jared 12 Mountain Lak 4:13.34 2
4 McInerney, Tim 12 Christian Br 4:14.00 2
5 Caraccio, Stone 11 Kingsway HS 4:14.29 2
6 Martingale, Francis 12 Memorial HS 4:15.10 2
7 Lindrud, Ryan 12 Ridge HS 4:15.31 2
8 Cranley, Joseph 12 Highland Par 4:16.56 1
9 Gabay, Austin 11 Cinnaminson 4:17.54 2
10 Thurairajah, Gobi 12 Egg Harbor T 4:17.68 1
11 Lagattuta, Andrew 12 Glen Rock HS 4:18.33 1
12 Amell, Tristan 10 Christian Br 4:20.25 1
13 Langon, Marco 9 Bridgewater- 4:20.76 1
14 Coffey, Matt 12 Camden Catho 4:20.95 1
15 Pantoya, Jacob 11 Summit HS 4:22.01 1

Reactions: angmo
Yes, keep it here, of course - it's of significant general interest to the Rutgers sports community. Congrats(?) to @1984 for becoming a mod - I'm sure he'll do very well.
nice of you to say but as noted above, I'm just cleaning up and (hopefully) enhancing the experience and value of the tix Forum. Only Admin rights I have.

Reactions: RU848789
that is good enough for a NCAA National Championship if he could do that in the NCAA finals, if he makes it there.

Amazing run!

500m is not a standard distance, so I doubt he can win a championship in that event. Still he could compete in the 400m, but maybe he has an advantage with the extra 100m. Will be interesting to see how he does in the 400m & 800m (if he runs that).

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I don't see signatures. I blocked them because so many were annoying.
I didn't realize you could do that. Don't worry - Be Happy :)

here's what mine says: FYI..I ADMINISTER the ticket exchange forum. Hence the MOD tag. Other than that I am just a LOOONG time fan/ alumn/ supporter with my own opinions. Not staff, not insider, nor expert.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Wow - impressive and thanks for posting! Would be amazing if he could break the 1:00 barrier. Hopefully, another NCAA champion in the works with our wrestlers. Don’t know how this matches up with Olympics - wouldn’t that be great!

Reactions: angmo
500m is not a standard distance, so I doubt he can win a championship in that event. Still he could compete in the 400m, but maybe he has an advantage with the extra 100m. Will be interesting to see how he does in the 400m & 800m (if he runs that).
Isn’t there a 600 meters Indoors in the NCAA championships?

First place by our guy and his time is good, considering he won, anytime is acceptable but not so impressive beyond that.

For comparison here are the results from last years NJ HS state championships:

Boys 1600 Meter Run
Name Year School Seed Finals H#
1 Dolan, Sean 12 Hopewell Val 4:09.14 2
2 Baginski, Will 12 Ridgewood HS 4:11.88 2
3 Cooper, Jared 12 Mountain Lak 4:13.34 2
4 McInerney, Tim 12 Christian Br 4:14.00 2
5 Caraccio, Stone 11 Kingsway HS 4:14.29 2
6 Martingale, Francis 12 Memorial HS 4:15.10 2
7 Lindrud, Ryan 12 Ridge HS 4:15.31 2
8 Cranley, Joseph 12 Highland Par 4:16.56 1
9 Gabay, Austin 11 Cinnaminson 4:17.54 2
10 Thurairajah, Gobi 12 Egg Harbor T 4:17.68 1
11 Lagattuta, Andrew 12 Glen Rock HS 4:18.33 1
12 Amell, Tristan 10 Christian Br 4:20.25 1
13 Langon, Marco 9 Bridgewater- 4:20.76 1
14 Coffey, Matt 12 Camden Catho 4:20.95 1
15 Pantoya, Jacob 11 Summit HS 4:22.01 1

It's true that some elite high school runners have run as fast as the RU milers just did. It's still really early in the Rutgers' indoor track season though, while the above high school performances are from the NJ HS Outdoor Championship 1600 meter race at the end of the outdoor season in June, when most athletes are peaking. The top athletes in that HS race are pretty talented. Sean Dolan was one of the top scholastic milers in the country and is running for Villanova now. Will Baginski is running for Dartmouth, Jared Cooper for Penn, and Tim McInerney competes for Georgetown. Not too shabby... RU performances will probably improve during the season, and times should also improve with the stronger competition in bigger meets.

Because of differences between the RU race and the above NJ HS championship race though, it might be fairer to add about 4 or 5 seconds to each of the high school times.. The RU race was an indoor race run on a smaller, slower track compared to the larger 400m outdoor track that the HS championship race was run on (which can often result in a difference of several seconds), and the RU race was a mile, which is about 9 meters longer than the high school 1600m race. (A typical conversion is to add around 1.5 sec to a 1600 meter time to get an approximate mile time.)

Isn’t there a 600 meters Indoors in the NCAA championships?
The NCAA Indoor Championships don't include 500m or 600m. The Big Ten championships have a 600m. Last year RU's Izaiah Brown was the Big Ten Indoor 400m champ in his final year on the team, and Taj Burgess finished 4th in the same race.

In their remaining indoor meets, RU has 3 or 4 meets that do include a 500 meter race, including the Metropolitan Championships (Burgess won the 500m race there last year) and the IC4A Championships (where he won the 400m race last year). It'll be interesting to see if he'll be entered in some 500m races to try to improve and get the records. Obviously he'll be trying for a NCAA Championships qualifying time in the 400 too. He's a junior, so there's always next year too.

It's true that some elite high school runners have run as fast as the RU milers just did. It's still really early in the Rutgers' indoor track season though, while the above high school performances are from the NJ HS Outdoor Championship 1600 meter race at the end of the outdoor season in June, when most athletes are peaking. The top athletes in that HS race are pretty talented. Sean Dolan was one of the top scholastic milers in the country and is running for Villanova now. Will Baginski is running for Dartmouth, Jared Cooper for Penn, and Tim McInerney competes for Georgetown. Not too shabby... RU performances will probably improve during the season, and times should also improve with the stronger competition in bigger meets.

Because of differences between the RU race and the above NJ HS championship race though, it might be fairer to add about 4 or 5 seconds to each of the high school times.. The RU race was an indoor race run on a smaller, slower track compared to the larger 400m outdoor track that the HS championship race was run on (which can often result in a difference of several seconds), and the RU race was a mile, which is about 9 meters longer than the high school 1600m race. (A typical conversion is to add around 1.5 sec to a 1600 meter time to get an approximate mile time.)

RU has some elite athletes, but not nearly enough for a Big 10 program. This was a DIII meet. And to be honest, the issue with your argument is that the elite distance runners in the state aren’t running for RU. For RU to get to the next level they need to start bringing in state champions in all events like Taj was in the 400M. Your comparison and extrapolation are accurate, but you left out the fact that you are comparing college juniors to high school runners. 4:13 doesn’t really move the needle in the Big 10. Last year it wouldn’t make the finals at the Big 10 championships. In fact, there are a lot of years where it doesn’t win the NJAC championship. I’m not knocking the effort of the kids in the program, but the team needs more talent to compete with the rest of the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT