ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Car guys - repair advice

theRU

All American
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2008
Aliso Viejo, CA
Hi All - hoping those of you who are automotive geniuses can help me. I fear a stealership is taking advantage of my elderly mom. Onstar sent her a message there was an anomaly with her car even though she didnt get a check engine light. They're saying negative battery terminal acid was leaking and now they're quoteing 2000 bucks to clean, replace wiring, and install a new battery.

Knowing that acid doesn't corrode plastics, I find some of this be hard to believe and think they're just trying to take advantage of the elderly. Am i wrong?

She already has sunk cost of getting the diagnosis so i'm thinking we apply those funds towards a new battery, i can clean up and use baking soda to neutralize anything i see and will check out the cable myself.

Any advice?

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Hi All - hoping those of you who are automotive geniuses can help me. I fear a stealership is taking advantage of my elderly mom. Onstar sent her a message there was an anomaly with her car even though she didnt get a check engine light. They're saying negative battery terminal acid was leaking and now they're quoteing 2000 bucks to clean, replace wiring, and install a new battery.

Knowing that acid doesn't corrode plastics, I find some of this be hard to believe and think they're just trying to take advantage of the elderly. Am i wrong?

She already has sunk cost of getting the diagnosis so i'm thinking we apply those funds towards a new battery, i can clean up and use baking soda to neutralize anything i see and will check out the cable myself.

Any advice?

$2000 is crazy

Get second opinion

I always take it to another place to see if they get the same diagnosis before I have any major work. The 2,000 is extreme I think but dealers sometimes go crazy. Once, I was shocked when they came back with $3-4,000 estimate for several repairs. Got it done for half The price.

now they're telling her they can't remove the wire terminal to replace the battery because its corroded. LOL this feels like a bad joke

Tell them to have the keys ready you'll be right over to pick it up. $2,000 for a new battery, clean up and cables is crazy. My mechanic found a failed sensor, felt so bad he had to charge me the minimum rate for such an easy fix, saw my terminal cables starting to corrode and put new one's in for just the cost of parts. O my bill came to a total of $280 bucks on a diesel truck.

Reactions: JRZEER and theRU

Any advice?
Wait. The onstar remotely identified and diagnosed an issue? No one actually looked at the battery before you took it in?

Reactions: tico brown
Wait. The onstar remotely identified and diagnosed an issue? No one actually looked at the battery before you took it in?
The onstar message was vague - it just said it noticed something with the starting system and to take in to the dealer for diagnosis. The battery on this car is hidden so the terminals are out of sight. There wasn't a check engine light or anything. I took the car back and yes, the battery is leaking so its probably noticing a drop in power/cranking which led to the onstar notice.

I took i dont want to do this myself, since theres a fair amount of acid and i dont have all the ppe required. So i imagine this is should just be a quick wipe down, neutralize residue, and install new battery. Getting a quote from a mechanic.

As for name of dealer, its in CA - so i doubt it would be helpful for all.

Reactions: hankee18
Try to find an independent mechanic that you can trust to look at it. Best I can tell ya.

The onstar message was vague - it just said it noticed something with the starting system and to take in to the dealer for diagnosis. The battery on this car is hidden so the terminals are out of sight. There wasn't a check engine light or anything. I took the car back and yes, the battery is leaking so its probably noticing a drop in power/cranking which led to the onstar notice.

I took i dont want to do this myself, since theres a fair amount of acid and i dont have all the ppe required. So i imagine this is should just be a quick wipe down, neutralize residue, and install new battery. Getting a quote from a mechanic.

would be helpful to those living in CA
If dealership a rip off would be nice to let those in CA know.
But maybe wait till you find out what's wrong and cost to fix before naming dealership.
What type of car your mother have that onstar says needs to be checked out.

Reactions: redking
Name your location so we can possibly recommend someone for a second opinion. $$$$

No lie. I’m due for inspection. Check engine light comes on. Check the code, it’s my thermostat. I have a Wrangler Rubicon. Bring it to the dealership yesterday. I have an unlimited max warranty through Mopar (Chrysler/Fiat).
Was quoted 700 bucks, was told thermostat isn’t covered. I know the warranty like the back of my hand, called them out. Got an oops, our mistake, we didn’t know (yeah, OK). It was then covered.
I hate everything car dealership/salesmen. All a holes.

Get this, if the cables are bad replace yourself.....That price is crazy!

iu

would be helpful to those living in CA
If dealership a rip off would be nice to let those in CA know.
But maybe wait till you find out what's wrong and cost to fix before naming dealership.
What type of car your mother have that onstar says needs to be checked out.
2015 Chevy Equinox - will name the rest later.

No lie. I’m due for inspection. Check engine light comes on. Check the code, it’s my thermostat. I have a Wrangler Rubicon. Bring it to the dealership yesterday. I have an unlimited max warranty through Mopar (Chrysler/Fiat).
Was quoted 700 bucks, was told thermostat isn’t covered. I know the warranty like the back of my hand, called them out. Got an oops, our mistake, we didn’t know (yeah, OK). It was then covered.
I hate everything car dealership/salesmen. All a holes.
True they’re aholes. But I truly think they didn’t know. After all, if it’s warranty work, dealership still gets paid (just not as much).

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
I always have cables and one of these in my car, not just for me but for anyone that needs a jump. Usually there's a lot of crud on the terminals. If legit, yours sounds more complex, but it could be a simple clean it up and replace the battery. Hoping it's an easy fix.

81JUxASQF2L._AC_SX355_.jpg

Reactions: iReC89

Got it. The onstar warning is a great feature though, caught the problem before you were stranded because if it. But that quote is outrageous...but typical of a dealer.

Reactions: redking and theRU
New battery was needed, terminal was broken inside the battery. Mechanic had to cut the end off, cleanup and replace. $350 all in.
Now I'm the kind of d*ck who would go back to the dealership with the bill in hand, find out who gave her the quote and ask, "Now exactly what the fvck were you going to do for $2,000?"

Last edited:

Any advice?

Sounds like BS to me. Take it to a reputable mechanic. Some GM dealers are notorious for spouting nonsense so that they can rob their customers. Screw the sunk cost. I wouldn’t give them another penny.

Now I'm the kind of d*ck who would go back to the dealership with the bill in hand, find out who gave her the quote and ask, "Now exactly what the fvck were you going to do for $2K?"
Yeah I hear you - clearly just trying to take advantage of an elderly woman. I figured this would be the case which is why I asked her to call me with any estimate they would give her. Glad I did - saved her 1650

Just have to give a shout out to Freehold Subaru today. They went above and beyond on an issue for me.

Reactions: redking
Extremes in temperature cause battery corrosion. Very common issue in cars. If you think to yourself “wow, just yesterday it was in the 20s, today it’s in the 50’s, how crazy!” First thing I do is pop the hood. You see acid around the terminals, get some gloves, safety glasses, and a wire brush (all together $10 at Lowe’s) and just scrape down the acid. Blown away with the leaf blower.

Warranty expires, I expire the car.

I never pay for anything repaired.

If it's a dealership, complain to their brands regional office. Ford, Chevy etc.

Extremes in temperature cause battery corrosion. Very common issue in cars. If you think to yourself “wow, just yesterday it was in the 20s, today it’s in the 50’s, how crazy!” First thing I do is pop the hood. You see acid around the terminals, get some gloves, safety glasses, and a wire brush (all together $10 at Lowe’s) and just scrape down the acid. Blown away with the leaf blower.
Lucky for us here in socal temps usually aren't am issue

New battery was needed, terminal was broken inside the battery. Mechanic had to cut the end off, cleanup and replace. $350 all in.

Now that it is all fixed up go and get a can of the terminal protector I posted earlier and spray it on them. It will put a red film on them and help prevent corrosion in the future.

Baking soda and garden hose.
New Battery cables or terminals.
New Battery.
That's all there is to it, no more no less. mix in a container of Bake Soda and water. spread it around, all cleaned up.
hose down good.
New battery $150 new cables $150, estimates of course but no where near $2000,00

Good thing she had a son to look after her interests. Good job! I'm sure she appreciated what you did.
Now, have all the relatives chip in and get her a new full size tank-mobile.
To protect the rest of us.

I took my car to the dealer for a state inspection a couple of years ago. The service "advisor" told me the plenum (space under the back of the hood in front of the windshield, in case you were wondering, as I was) was full of debris. They'd clean it for $160. I asked him to show me and even he couldn't stop from laughing as he pointed out the "debris", which turned out to be a few leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT