ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Car guys - repair advice

I took my car to the dealer for a state inspection a couple of years ago. The service "advisor" told me the plenum (space under the back of the hood in front of the windshield, in case you were wondering, as I was) was full of debris. They'd clean it for $160. I asked him to show me and even he couldn't stop from laughing as he pointed out the "debris", which turned out to be a few leaves.

I would have laughed in his face.......the Plenum is the intake manifold of a car and the space between the firewall (or back of hood as he articulated) and the windshield is know as the cowl. You cannot trust anybody at the stealership......half the service advisers out there have never had a screwdriver in their hands....

Why are there service advisors in the first place? That never made any sense to me.

I want to talk directly to the guy/gal with greasy hands who is going to be working on my vehicle.

Reactions: Extra Point
I took my car to the dealer for a state inspection a couple of years ago. The service "advisor" told me the plenum (space under the back of the hood in front of the windshield, in case you were wondering, as I was) was full of debris. They'd clean it for $160. I asked him to show me and even he couldn't stop from laughing as he pointed out the "debris", which turned out to be a few leaves.
They probably had to take the plenum off and most of the cost was for that labor. Like someone said, the filter below the windshield isn't the plenum and they would have had some nerve to charge anything to clean that area.

2,000 is outrageous. My guess is that the dealership was planning to replace the entire wiring. They might not be allowed to cut and splice wires like a regular mechanic will do, in a way splicing is sort of 'bastarding' the system.

2,000 is outrageous. My guess is that the dealership was planning to replace the entire wiring. They might not be allowed to cut and splice wires like a regular mechanic will do, in a way splicing is sort of 'bastarding' the system.
Even still the battery harness swap wouldn't be that much more to justify an incremental 1600

Warranty expires, I expire the car.

I never pay for anything repaired.

If it's a dealership, complain to their brands regional office. Ford, Chevy etc.
This situation wouldn’t be covered by a warranty

I would have laughed in his face.......the Plenum is the intake manifold of a car and the space between the firewall (or back of hood as he articulated) and the windshield is know as the cowl. You cannot trust anybody at the stealership......half the service advisers out there have never had a screwdriver in their hands....

Many auto techs do refer to the cowling as an air plenum, which it technically is. If it was properly cleaned they removed the cowling and cleaned the inside and bottom of the plenum area. An hour labor charge is a fair charge.
The plenum chamber is a chamber located in front of the windshield, where air pressure is above atmospheric. It provides a volume of air which is drawn into the car from the chamber through the heater, air-conditioner or vents.

Reactions: RU Golfer
ADVERTISEMENT