ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cargo Shorts...

RU_Planning

Heisman Winner
Aug 14, 2002
Ultimately its not about cargo shorts being some sort of fashion travesty, it is about people not wearing clothing that fits properly. However, cargo shorts are an easy target, because men quite frankly don't give a sh!t about fashion and want to wear what is comfortable. Besides, should people that walk around in patterned balloon pants really have a say in matters of fashion anyway?

The responses should be fun.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nice-ca...470082856?mod=trending_now_1#livefyre-comment

Just say no to cargo shorts, because yoga pants are so much better. . . .
53a0f0099511c_-_yoga-pants-4-de.jpg

Reactions: RUST86
According to the article, sales of cargo pants have been steady or increased every year in the past decade, until last year which showed the first decline. Still $700MM worth were sold.

Doesn't sound like they're disappearing any time soon.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I phased mine out over the past three or four years. The only ones left are one for painting and one for mowing the lawn, and that's plenty.

Love cargo shorts... More comfortable and the extra pockets help... I've been reading that cargo shorts are not fashionable for years. I really don't care what some millennial (I'm 30) that prefers salmon colored shorts thinks and apparently a lot of other guys don't either.

Reactions: RU22 and RUPete
car keys, cell phone, money, wallet, hankys, matches, cigs,candy, nip bottles for football games....
I'd rather have pockets than wear a fanny pack .:grimace:

As I posted in response to this on a friend's FB page, this is what has replaced cargo shorts. Explain to me how these are cool and cargo shorts aren't.

8843051368478.jpg

These things are awful and some guys are wearing ones another 2" up the thigh. No thanks! Right up there with popped collars, skinny jeans, and man buns.

(** IMHO the only people wearing "man buns" should be Samurai warriors or Samoans.)

Reactions: RUST86
If you're a grown man worried about what clothes another grown is wearing on the weekends, you need to seriously consider reducing the amount of soy & other estrogen producing foods in your diet.

Yeah besides what other kind of shorts goes good with a Hawaiian shirt?

Reactions: PhDKnight
fashions come and go! Cargo shorts were in for a decade and now they are on their way out. Maybe in 10 - 15 years cargo shorts will become fashionable again. On a personal note I have not bought a pair of cargos in 4 - 5 years. As unfashionable as I am, I have known for some time that cargos were yesterdays fashion and we are now onto today. The cargos I have are all starting to show their age and pretty soon will be relegated to "work around the house" shorts. I will buy more cargos when they become popular again.

In the fall/winter, I have a jacket/coat with extra pockets - so it's no problem carrying normal stuff (phone, wallet, keys) and extra stuff (crap my kids hand me - shells, rocks, etc, tissues for their noses, etc). In the summer, I have no jacket - so I need the extra pockets.

Given a choice between cargo shorts and a fanny pack, I think I've made the right call.

I've been phasing mine out. I still wear a pair when I'm working on my truck, or doing something around the house (more pockets to hold stuff.) For the most part I'm wearing Vines classic or Nike golf shorts. Plenty of room for a bigger guy like myself and my wife likes the way my butt looks. Which is always nice.

A backpack is much more effective for hiking.

Why would you need extra pockets for an RU game? They seem like something a kid would wear.

sadly i am seeing a trend on the beaches towards mens bathing suits that are not as low on the leg as they should be. Think 80's OP shorts. Fashion be damned, I like my cargo shorts and I like my bathing suit down around the knee even though I do have nice legs.

d24c0cf7cb0d619323d2161364f80fa0.jpg

Reactions: MoobyCow
Hopefully, people have also noticed that cotton tee shirts (as opposed to lycra-type athletic shirts), pleated pants, cuffs and mustaches are also out of style. Styles change. Nothing wrong with changing with the times.

You guys in the cargo shorts are just so fashion-gauche. Every trendy male fashionista in Europe and Asia knows the male purse is what's best for carrying stuff. [eyeroll]

Hopefully, people have also noticed that cotton tee shirts (as opposed to lycra-type athletic shirts), pleated pants, cuffs and mustaches are also out of style. Styles change. Nothing wrong with changing with the times.

There's also nothing wrong with different age groups having somewhat different styles. What looks good on a 20 year old isn't necessarily what looks good on a 40 year old, or 60 year old, or 80 year old.

Reactions: Peteyd and Block R
Everyone is free to wear what they want. Last year I replaced all my cargo shorts with ones of relatively comparable length, but without the bulging pockets. Was having trouble finding ones that weren't too short so I went with the "tall" version that some stores sell. Perfect compromise for me.

But on the whole "function" thing with cargo shorts...people really walk around with those pockets stuffed? The few times I did I found it incredibly annoying to have items banging around at my knees.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
ADVERTISEMENT