ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Caribbean Islands recommendations

tatum56

Freshman
Apr 20, 2018
Any recommendations? I have never been there.

I am looking for a walkable town, a little nightlife, and some inshore fishing. I am not fishing for Marlin or anything off shore. I am just brining a light spinning rod. I will be happy fishing an ocean pier or jetty for whatever. By nightlife I am just looking for a few restaurants and a casual bar.

I am looking for a walkable town, a little nightlife, and some inshore fishing. I am not fishing for Marlin or anything off shore. I am just brining a light spinning rod. I will be happy fishing an ocean pier or jetty for whatever. By nightlife I am just looking for a few restaurants and a casual bar.

These previous threads might prove helpful:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...cation-spot-where-they-leave-you-alone.80826/

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...s-for-a-cheap-caribbean-family-vacation.4784/

We love The Somerset at Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos. There isn’t really a town there but a number of restaurants and hotels are within walking distance. The property is immaculate and facilities are first rate. It’s a smaller and less crowded place, which we like. We chartered a small boat that gave us a great tour, took us to great snorkeling spots, and fished. The captain was a local and knew he way around. Direct flight to the island, which was great. The Somerset is not cheap, though.

You signed up today just to ask this question on a college football message board?

Reactions: RUfromSoCal?
Can anyone comment on SW Puerto Rico ? THinking about flying into Ponce in mid Sept. I figure that part of the island was least affected by Maria and all the sheep will be scared to go there because of the hurricane and some media reports not to mention it's hurricane season

I would say St. John in a heartbeat, but the island is still recovering from Irma.

Reactions: jonS and dnmuller
Second Aruba and Surf Club. We prefer a high floor pool side for the view down island. More restaurants than Red Bank! Interesting first post.

Haiti is lovely this time of year.

Reactions: ruthetiger
Punta Cana was real nice. We had a spanish speaker with us, we paid a driver at the air port and did all of our excursions for less than half price!

I concur with Aruba Surf Club. In fact I own there and have a 2 bedroom unit available for rent, June 29 to July 6, if you want to talk. bwrlaw at yahoo

Second Aruba and Surf Club. We prefer a high floor pool side for the view down island. More restaurants than Red Bank! Interesting first post.
Aruba is nice. Safe.....but we found it boring.
Nice family place, I guess.
Palm beach was particularly nice.

I spent a long weekend in Aruba once when it was very cold here; it was great but I found the trade winds an obstacle to actually going in the water. I had an unfortunate experience in Punta Cana with Apple vacations, but would willingly give the place a second chance; the beaches are beautiful.

Anything the Caribbean islands have to do is already available in FL and you don’t need to leave the country for some banana republic destination. But to each his own.

Reactions: #1 RUFan and Peteyd
Turks and Caicos has beautiful beaches, but Cayman Islands have beaches almost as nice, with more to do IMHO.

Reactions: RUEd
I’ve been to many islands and Barbados and St. Maarten (Dutch side) are two of my favorites. I also think Antigua is under-rated. Not a fan of Aruba. It’s a desert, is windy, and way too built-up. I also hated the oil refineries in view at many of the beaches. However, you won’t have to worry about rain there.

I’ve been to many islands and Barbados and St. Maarten (Dutch side) are two of my favorites. I also think Antigua is under-rated. Not a fan of Aruba. It’s a desert, is windy, and way too built-up. I also hated the oil refineries in view at many of the beaches. However, you won’t have to worry about rain there.
I've been to Aruba many times and had no idea what you were talking about regarding the refineries, so I had to google it. They are about an hour south of where you want to stay. Stay in Palm Beach. There are no oil refineries anywhere near Palm Beach. Also, the tradewinds are great because they keep you cooler.

Reactions: Kbee3
Curacao. Very nice island with a Dutch influence.
I was on the first nonstop flight JetBlue operated between NYC and Curacao. Beautiful place and liked that you could take a short ride into town and it was safe.

Not a fan of Aruba. It’s a desert, is windy, and way too built-up. I also hated the oil refineries in view at many of the beaches. However, you won’t have to worry about rain there.
+1
No interest in Aruba. I'm sure it is okay, but many better islands to explore.

Reactions: Mr Magoo and MR RU
Another vote for Cayman Islands. Safe, plenty of bars, stunning beaches, not a banana republic.
Cayman is on our list to try very soon. We planned a vacation their for early 2005, but Ivan hit a few months before. We went to St. John instead and fell in love with the island. And now St. John got Irma'ed, so back to Cayman! :)

We had a very pleasant vacation in Sandals Exuma Bahamas. It's an all inclusive which is great if you like cocktails during and in between meals. Food and all around service were both very good. Not much to do but lay back at the beach or the pool. Not great for sight seeing but excellent for just laying back and relaxing.

ADVERTISEMENT