ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Carpool Karaoke with Paul McCartney

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
SIAP (didn't see it). Not a huge James Corden fan, overall, but I like many of the carpool karaoke episodes, as they're fun and you often get to see a side of singers/entertainers that you don't always get to see. This episode though, which takes place in the hometown of Paul and the rest of the Beatles, Liverpool, is effing brilliant. They do a bunch of great old Beatles songs, visit Penny Lane, Paul's teenage home, and finally a pub where the Beatles played many times in their early years - and there's a really cool surprise in that part of the episode, near the end. You can just see how much fun they were having and you could see how truly in awe Corden was and how emotional parts of this were for both of them. Give it a watch...

Gotta agree it was great and Im not a fan of Corden either and frankly, many of his carpool karaoke's but at least they feel much less set up & rehearsed than anything Fallon does. This episode seemed really genuine. Thinking about Lennon's murder and the Christmastime attack on George Harrison, its interesting to see personal security interact around McCartney. A shame these guys have/had to endure that fear just for making renown records.

Reactions: Ruthinking
I dont not care how old you are or how your musicsl tastes run this guy and his mates who anazingly grew up minutes from each other at the same time in the same place changed the frigging world in more ways than yeah yeah yeah. I was there. It happened and when he goes a lot goes with him. Plus his wife is from North Edison

I dont not care how old you are or how your musicsl tastes run this guy and his mates who anazingly grew up minutes from each other at the same time in the same place changed the frigging world in more ways than yeah yeah yeah. I was there. It happened and when he goes a lot goes with him. Plus his wife is from North Edison

Well said. Had a similar conversation the other day with my wife, about how amazing it was to have these 4 kids coming together in one place at the exact right time in history. 20 years earlier and maybe they sing in the choir together and go on to become accountants and shoe salesmen. 20 years later and someone else might've been the Beatles and these four would've been Oasis.

Well said. Had a similar conversation the other day with my wife, about how amazing it was to have these 4 kids coming together in one place at the exact right time in history. 20 years earlier and maybe they sing in the choir together and go on to become accountants and shoe salesmen. 20 years later and someone else might've been the Beatles and these four would've been Oasis.
That’s it right there.

If they don’t come here and at that time, who knows?

Meh? What's next - badmouthing the United States of America?

Well, you said it yourself - "20 years later and someone else might've been the Beatles and these four would've been Oasis."

The Beatles are iconic because they were able to capitalize (massively) on a paradigm shift in pop music. They weren't great musicians. They became known for vocal harmonies but there were a lot of acts doing a better job of that. McCartney and Lennon were prolific songwriters but only, in the grand scheme of things, for a short period of time. Fortunately for them it was precisely the right time, as you pointed out.

The one thing the Beatles have done is they've sold more records than anyone else - but I think a lot of that is due as much to their legacy of success as anything else.

Met him in person few years back. I was in a elevator with him and his entourage. Wasn’t going to bother him but he started chatting us up. Great guy and very personable.

I'm not a huge Beatles fan but That was friggin awesome. The look of surprise & joy in the faces of people meeting him, especially in the bar, was great.

Reactions: knightfan7
Well, you said it yourself - "20 years later and someone else might've been the Beatles and these four would've been Oasis."

The Beatles are iconic because they were able to capitalize (massively) on a paradigm shift in pop music. They weren't great musicians. They became known for vocal harmonies but there were a lot of acts doing a better job of that. McCartney and Lennon were prolific songwriters but only, in the grand scheme of things, for a short period of time. Fortunately for them it was precisely the right time, as you pointed out.

The one thing the Beatles have done is they've sold more records than anyone else - but I think a lot of that is due as much to their legacy of success as anything else.
”Timing is everything.”

They were just what we needed in that tough Winter of 63-64.

Grew up as a young one in the 70s. Heard the Beatles ALL THE TIME on the radio, and never really appreciated them at that time. They still aren't one of my favorite bands, but I have come to totally appreciate them and the influence they've had on other musicians (and people at large), since then. Same with Zeppelin. You can't go an hour without hearing one of their songs on the radio, somewhere. As a kid, they were just another rock band. Can really appreciate them more and more as the years go by. And, it's cool to hear interviews with any of the remaining Beatles or guys from Zep, and hear what their own influences were, which has opened my eyes to other's music, as well.

Can you imagine enjoying your pint in that bar, when the curtains initially pulled back?

Enjoyed that very much. From the time I was a kid I was always mystified by how they managed to accomplish what they did in such a short amount of time. It took a meager 7 years for them to change the world. I think the later stuff really showed maturity and most say it revolutionized music. As a comparison artists like Brittany Spears have been around 3 x as long as them. Katy perry and taylor swift significantly longer.

That was a joy to watch. Thanks for posting.

The Beatles went from "She Loves You" to "Sgt. Pepper" in four years time. Now let's see what Ash can do in four years...

Grew up in the 60s with the Beatles invasion, Ed Sullivan show, etc. I believe it was April, 1964 when they had the top 4 songs on the top 100 chart.

Grew up in the 60s with the Beatles invasion, Ed Sullivan show, etc. I believe it was April, 1964 when they had the top 4 songs on the top 100 chart.
Better than that, they had five of the top five songs on the charts. 1) Can't Buy Me Love, 2) Twist and Shout, 3) She Loves You, 4) I Want To Hold Your Hand, 5) Please, Please Me. Also # 31) I Saw Her Standing There, 41) From Me To You, 46) Do You Want To Know A Secret.

Please visit my Beatles list at:
http://www.mybeatleslist.com/

SIAP (didn't see it). Not a huge James Corden fan, overall, but I like many of the carpool karaoke episodes, as they're fun and you often get to see a side of singers/entertainers that you don't always get to see. This episode though, which takes place in the hometown of Paul and the rest of the Beatles, Liverpool, is effing brilliant. They do a bunch of great old Beatles songs, visit Penny Lane, Paul's teenage home, and finally a pub where the Beatles played many times in their early years - and there's a really cool surprise in that part of the episode, near the end. You can just see how much fun they were having and you could see how truly in awe Corden was and how emotional parts of this were for both of them. Give it a watch...

#'s thanks for posting. This is just what the doctor ordered.
Paul's still got it...always did, always will.

FANTASTIC!

MO

Reactions: FastMJ and RU848789
So Springsteen on the boardwalk in Asbury Park is his next one?

We sat in the next box at a Nets game a few years ago..He has them at football basketball and baseball venues in NYC for his anerican born grandkids. He came up the stairs and shook all of our hands I got a fist bump and a hello lad.His and Lennon's genius is a kind that I hope we see again. He touched the entire frigging planet based on essentially 7 years of work. It is cool for some to say they don't care for them.Maybe Anthrax and Tim McGraw are better? Different strokes..

Brought a smile to my face. I thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers Car Pool Karaoke was terrific, this is very close for best one, probably better.

Football and Music have been my 2 guilty pleasures growing up, as I'm sure it has been for many on this site. I've played , coached and officiated Football since about 1963, and have listened to music , owned night clubs and gone to concerts since about the same time.
Sipping a Makers Mark Manhattan enjoying this music now, and just put on the The Beatles White Album, while reading the boards and watching the Yankees.

Thanks for posting this, made my day. I can't even imagine how the people felt in the pub.

This from George Martin in the liner notes from "Live at the Hollywood Bowl":

My youngest daughter, Lucy, now nine years old, once asked me about them, “You used to record them, didn’t you, Daddy?” she asked, “Were they as great as the Bay City Rollers?” “Probably not,” I replied. Some day she will find out.

http://albumlinernotes.com/Live_At_The_Hollywood_Bowl.html

Brought a smile to my face. I thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers Car Pool Karaoke was terrific, this is very close for best one, probably better.

Football and Music have been my 2 guilty pleasures growing up, as I'm sure it has been for many on this site. I've played , coached and officiated Football since about 1963, and have listened to music , owned night clubs and gone to concerts since about the same time.
Sipping a Makers Mark Manhattan enjoying this music now, and just put on the The Beatles White Album, while reading the boards and watching the Yankees.
You had me until this. :(

You had me until this. :(

Just waiting till the College World Series comes on, lol
PS- My grandfather, who worked at the East New York station for FDNY took me to all my pee wee football practices (he was retired by then) as my dad was often away in NJ working as a Conductor for the CRRNJ. We've talked about this, my grandfather also played almost full time on the FDNY baseball team.

Just waiting till the College World Series comes on, lol
PS- My grandfather, who worked at the East New York station for FDNY took me to all my pee wee football practices (he was retired by then) as my dad was often away in NJ working as a Conductor for the CRRNJ. We've talked about this, my grandfather also played almost full time on the FDNY baseball team.
I have mentioned this story before and we have all seen the pic so I won’t post it again but I was told by someone who would know a former Governor from the tri-state area wanted to wear that uniform in the charity game but...

Thanks for posting this, made my day. I can't even imagine how the people felt in the pub.

My youngest daughter, Lucy, now nine years old, once asked me about them, “You used to record them, didn’t you, Daddy?” she asked, “Were they as great as the Bay City Rollers?” “Probably not,” I replied. Some day she will find out.

220px-BayCityRollersLP.jpg

I had this album....

S A T U R D A Y Night!

Reactions: RU82 and MrsScrew
I have mentioned this story before and we have all seen the pic so I won’t post it again but I was told by someone who would know a former Governor from the tri-state area wanted to wear that uniform in the charity game but...

1517820_10202442459317481_508754654_n.jpg

My Grandfather, in the drivers seat, circa 1955

1924408_10202672260002014_2041728016_n.jpg

Reactions: rubaseball78

We sat in the next box at a Nets game a few years ago..He has them at football basketball and baseball venues in NYC for his anerican born grandkids. He came up the stairs and shook all of our hands I got a fist bump and a hello lad.His and Lennon's genius is a kind that I hope we see again. He touched the entire frigging planet based on essentially 7 years of work. It is cool for some to say they don't care for them.Maybe Anthrax and Tim McGraw are better? Different strokes..

Mmmm more than 7....though many of us would recognize the Beatles as the best damn band ever/ the efforts of Lennon / McCartney are unrivaled: Paul can write some pretty catchy ditties.

In fact McCartney is the most recorded artist of all time (Beatles / non Beatles).

Here's a list of what someone thought were his best non Beatle songs....and I've included one that should have been there...with a BULLET!

https://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2016/04/paul_mccartney_15_best_songs.html

MO

At the time, in Sayreville, we knew them as The Gay Shitty Blowers.

ADVERTISEMENT