ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Carteret Public Schools cancels fall athletic season

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Out of concern for the safety and well-being of students, coaches, faculty and staff, Carteret Public Schools made the difficult decision to cancel the fall scholastic sports season.

The school district, which announced the maneuver during a board of education meeting on Wednesday night, is believed to be the first in New Jersey to shut down fall athletics amid concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...ools-cancels-fall-athletic-season/5491686002/

Can I source one from MSDNC to appease you?
Oh MSDNC. That was really clever. I am assuming that the answer to my original question is no. You can’t source a real doctor that says contact sports are a good idea.

Wonder how you got that science is on your side? Other than the hope that if you scream something loudly enough, people will tell you that you are right.

Would love to see you source a scientific journal recommending contact sports before we have a vaccine. Please no random chiropractic or psychologist on Fox News that claims to be a doctor or scientist.

I keep hearing about a vaccine which is no guarantee, and that is from scientists. Some fail during trials with side effects, some are ineffective and sometimes mutations happen and the target moves. I also hear a bunch of people say they aren’t getting the vaccine, which makes all the above irrelevant.

Lets say they can and do create one. I’m curios what you think the time line looks like and would you get it? I’m not flaming, I just want to see if folks have thought the timeline out and are weighing it against the alternatives.

I keep hearing about a vaccine which is no guarantee, and that is from scientists. Some fail during trials with side effects, some are ineffective and sometimes mutations happen and the target moves. I also hear a bunch of people say they aren’t getting the vaccine, which makes all the above irrelevant.

Lets say they can and do create one. I’m curios what you think the time line looks like and would you get it? I’m not flaming, I just want to see if folks have thought the timeline out and are weighing it against the alternatives.
Honestly, I won’t consider the vaccine initially because I am not at risk and neither are my kids so we can hold out while older people and people at risk should get the vaccine. Once it becomes available to the general public, while there will not have been a lot of study on it and even though it works differently from previous vaccines, I would trust it and get it for myself and the kids.

Man issue for school and sports will be the bussing tbh. Parents driving their kids to games is one thing. Having to take 3-4 busses to carry a football team is a different animal. Most college teams don't have the financial means for all of these challenges. Not much wiggle room in school budgets year to year.

True or false
Kids can pass the rona to parents and grand parents and teachers and bus drivers and custodians and....... Is the flu more or less contagious then Rona???

So it’s not about the health of the kids — it’s about others? If that’s your position so be it but the narrative that no school and/or sports is about the health of the kids is completely unsupported by the science. Sadly, 1k kids drown every year swimming, more than 650+ die in car accidents, and 140-150 die every year from the regular flu. Yet, we allow kids to swim all the time, they are in cars multiple times a day and we’ve never closed schools because of the flu. Oh, and there’s the fact that less than 40 kids have died from Covid. I don’t want to see any child get sick, including my own, but the narrative over this issue is different than every other risk people accept every day.

Yes. My younger Son who is still in HS, a rising senior, played in a lacrosse tournament last week. Had games all day.

One of his best friends has been playing baseball in travel tournaments for a while now.

Same with my middle school aged nephews (baseball) and niece (soccer).

ok. Lots of people don’t.
Because he doesn’t have any kids. Let the parents and schools decide which they did.

Ok. But he should answer

Because he doesn’t have any kids. Let the parents and schools decide which they did.

it seems like many people in this thread that don’t have kids think it’s ok to play kid sports lol.
But e5fdny think it’s ok and he has kids . You have to respect that . People are going to have differing opinions on this . I would not take anyone who doesn’t have kids playing sports seriously

it seems like many people in this thread that don’t have kids think it’s ok to play kid sports lol.
But e5fdny think it’s ok and he has kids . You have to respect that . People are going to have differing opinions on this . I would not take anyone who doesn’t have kids playing sports seriously
Well, the school, the board of education and the parents made the decision. I don’t care one way or the other just as long as the people involved made the decision.

Barron Trump school decided not to have classes like normal and will continue with on line classes or hybrid classes.

Every school or school district will decide what best for their kids which is fine with me.

Reactions: Greg2020
i usually like your posts . But why do you think it’s ok for hs kids to play sports ?

I won't speak for anyone else but...

Gov. Murphy seems to think high-contact HS sports can resume.
I'm not a scientist or doctor but I assume Gov. Murphy has this information.

Or do you think Murphy is wrong for allowing HS sports?

Life is about risk
Imagine if this actually happened in these times:

SR-COVID-international-policy-responses-CHARTS-page3.gif

I won't speak for anyone else but...

Gov. Murphy seems to think high-contact HS sports can resume.
I'm not a scientist or doctor but I assume Gov. Murphy has this information.

Or do you think Murphy is wrong for allowing HS sports?

I don’t think hs fall sports in New Jersey is happening . I think murphy is playing the political game . He’s a politician after all.
My kids are not in school so I got no skin in the game . I think it’s a difficult decision for all involved . But my bet is no Hs sports is played until spring 2021.

Would love to see you source a scientific journal recommending contact sports before we have a vaccine. Please no random chiropractic or psychologist on Fox News that claims to be a doctor or scientist.

Not scientific but I would assume this guy is consulting with the top scientists and medical personnel available before allowing HS contact sports to resume.

Should we not listen to and follow the guidelines from the governor?
If Murphy is wrong, then who should we be listening to?

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...test-lifting-of-coronavirus-restrictions.html

I don’t think hs fall sports in New Jersey is happening . I think murphy is playing the political game . He’s a politician after all.
My kids are not in school so I got no skin in the game . I think it’s a difficult decision for all involved . But my bet is no Hs sports is played until spring 2021.

Your (and mine and everyone else on this board) personal thoughts are besides the point.

Gov. Murphy is allowing HS high-risk contact sports as of today.
Do we not listen to Murphy now?
Because he is "playing politics"?

This is getting very confusing on who to follow and listen to.

Your (and mine and everyone else on this board) personal thoughts are besides the point.

Gov. Murphy is allowing HS high-risk contact sports as of today.
Do we not listen to Murphy now?
Because he is "playing politics"?

This is getting very confusing on who to follow and listen to.

Murphy isn’t mandating they don’t play . He’s leaving it up to the schools it seems. The decisions are theirs as it should be

I saw the local HS practicing and there was social distancing when practicing but when they lined up for the practice, the kids were talking together with no social distancing close together. If one kid has it, they will all get it.

Reactions: Greg2020
ADVERTISEMENT