ADVERTISEMENT

OT: CBS cuts Simms and Boomer from "NFL Today"

De-graying probably.
Plus those guys have more miles on them than Frank Gore
Sims can be cranky and Boomer is everywhere.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Great! Take two articulate, well experienced, professional commentators and give them the boot (yes I realize they have been there a while). I cant wait for the replacements who will be animated, yell, try to be comedians and wear sneakers with their sports coats. Truly awesome.

De-graying probably.
Plus those guys have more miles on them than Frank Gore
Sims can be cranky and Boomer is everywhere.
gray is a color... but I suspect there will be other colors involved in such decisions. We shall see. doesn't matter if the replacements are good.. but what's "good" anymore? I expect the Pat MacAfee persona to prevail in replacements.

gray is a color... but I suspect there will be other colors involved in such decisions. We shall see. doesn't matter if the replacements are good.. but what's "good" anymore? I expect the Pat MacAfee persona to prevail in replacements.

NY Post says "Matt Ryan and JJ Watt joining James Brown, Nate Burleson and Bill Cowher."

Great! Take two articulate, well experienced, professional commentators and give them the boot (yes I realize they have been there a while). I cant wait for the replacements who will be animated, yell, try to be comedians and wear sneakers with their sports coats. Truly awesome.

That depends. A recently retired QB like Ryan can have knowledge of what's going on in locker rooms around the league (like Boomer and Phil had when they started) and provide solid analysis. It will depend on whether he wants to do that and whether CBS wants him to do that. Time will tell.

Ryan and Watt.. both white.. so it is not an equity play. That's good... though color doesn't reflect how good a commentator is or is not, so even if they went with 2 people of color you still wouldn't know if it was equity-inspired because they could be hired for exactly the same reasons Ryan and Watt were hired. So it could just be an age thing... Simms and Boomer had sometimes argued like old men... like Smith and Barkely for basketball.

And sometimes networks have their hands forced. Like Tom Brady retiring.. either you make room for him immediately or he might go someplace else and hurt your ratings. Michael Strahan for various entertainment venues.. before him. I expect Travis Kelce will end up forcing someone out when he's ready to go on-air. Surprised Gronk did not do so.

But Gronk might be.. busy.
rob-gronkowski-camille-kostek-UNICEF-winter-gala-123022-1-c78d797e83634f248267212db145b476.jpg

Reactions: Steve91562
Green is the color which motivated the decision

Green is the color which motivated the decision
doubt there will be a noticeable difference in "green" for them. But sometimes good TV shows do not get renewed because networks have only so many timeslots and they need to sell NEW things to advertisers. I doubt Boomer and Simms would have been paid more than Ryan and Watt.. and I doubt new ad revenue will increase. But it is something NEW to entice affiliates and advertisers. Instead of 2 New York players.. they get Atlanta and Texas players.

Too many guys on these studio sets. Just not enough time for anyone to get more than one sound byte at halftime.
i think this is a big deal. everyone is trying to make a name for themselves, so when fighting for airtime, they will say crazy hyperbolic things.

the other thing that bothers me about NFL studio coverage is that they take themselves too seriously. the NFL and pro sports in general is entertainment. make the studio shows entertaining like the NBA on TNT or UEFA Champions League studio coverage on Paramount+. There is insightful information in the show, but there is a lot more casual banter. Its fun, entertaining, and keeps ppl watching.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Well, at least they aren't going with some yellers and cacklers like they have on Gameday now. I think both are solid choices. I still liked Boomer and Simms in those roles though.

It could also be the NFL HQ doesn't like them anymore for multiple reasons

Meanwhile Boomer announced this morning that both Audacy and CBS Sports have extended the Boomer and Gio Show for many years to come. It guarantees that he will become the longest-tenured host in WFAN's history passing Don Imus.
Boomer already knew it was his swan song for the NFL Today going into the Super Bowl.

Reactions: megadrone
Well, at least they aren't going with some yellers and cacklers like they have on Gameday now. I think both are solid choices. I still liked Boomer and Simms in those roles though.
Who would you propose - Michael Kay I guess? Pleeese. You and @ru66 need to get off that hack's jock.

Sounds like Matt Ryan may be one.

Meanwhile Boomer announced this morning that both Audacy and CBS Sports have extended the Boomer and Gio Show for many years to come. It guarantees that he will become the longest-tenured host in WFAN's history passing Don Imus.
Boomer already knew it was his swan song for the NFL Today going into the Super Bowl.
I think you mean morning host.
he still has to pass francsssa

hated Simms but Boomer was great and a terrific guy to boot. He used to come to Cantor often

hated Simms but Boomer was great and a terrific guy to boot. He used to come to Cantor often
My father used to see him all the time in the elevator up to CF in WTC. He had his charity office on same floor I believe.

My father used to see him all the time in the elevator up to CF in WTC. He had his charity office on same floor I believe.
I don't know about this charity but he was on our mbs desk area often enough. he was friends with one of the guys there and came for drinks with us on one occasion (or the one occasion I was allowed to go lol)

I like Simms more than Boomer - more genuine IMO. I thought Ryan was very good as color on the broadcast.

Good first step by the network. Next step would be to can the whole pregame show nonsense which would save a ton of money. I can't remember the last time I watched a pregame show of any kind in any sport. Is it still a bunch of guys fake laughing at each others unfunny jokes? Do they just cater to people looking for gambling information now?

Except I'm 100% confident I've seen Phil with sneakers and a sport coat at charity events

Reactions: LETSGORU91
It could’ve been David Shaw, Tiki Barber, Tony Dungy, Tony Gonzalez and people would still have issues if any of them were hired.

It could’ve been David Shaw, Tiki Barber, Tony Dungy, Tony Gonzalez and people would still have issues if any of them were hired.
I don't like simms, did like boomer. i hate the pregame shows as they all suck really with just faux everything. espn used to have the best one as it was about the game, strategies etc and now, it's all bs with too many sidebars

I don't like simms, did like boomer. i hate the pregame shows as they all suck really with just faux everything. espn used to have the best one as it was about the game, strategies etc and now, it's all bs with too many sidebars
agreed.. I care more about the college game and College Gameday and Fox's and BTN's versions anyway... though those shows have the same issues.

When Tico suggests "David Shaw, Tiki Barber, Tony Dungy, Tony Gonzalez".. none of them are better than Boomer and, like people complain about Simms and others. There's so much crap built into these shows are teh hosts all that useful anyway? Some crap get built in FOR the hosts.. "You Got Mossed!" for example. Garbage. Pat McAfee.. garbage segments.. funny thing is I have seen him make good commentary in spots from time to time... so how much of it is him and producers building a "brand" around him instead of producing a show that adds value and knowledge while entertaining at a higher level than a side-show geeks at a circus?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT