ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cell phone spying?

Had a very crazy example of this happen to me last night. I have digital music software on my computer for when I write and compose music. This is a standalone recording app - it is not web-enabled in any way. I was creating a composition using a very rare instrument that makes the sound of a male choir. I also was logged into my Gmail account, but that was running in the background. Sure enough, I go to YouTube a few minutes later, and two of the videos on my Youtube main page feature reviews of and tutorials about the very niche instrument that I was playing! It appears that my microphone was picking up the sound, so it somehow knew the instrument that I was using and featured it when I went to YouTube. I expect this to happen when I'm using Web-based apps and social media, or even my phone, but I never had the computer know what I was using if the program was not connected to the Web. My only explanation is that it heard the sounds from my digital recording and it used recognized that and sent the videos to my YouTube screen. THAT is really scary.

Scarlet Jerry
Scary to say the least!!!!

Unplug my TV? Thermostats? Doorbell? Refrigerator? Internet of things means sensors in all devices. Google and Amazon are so far ahead of everyone else and need to be broken up.

The government and agencies are in deep cahoots with them. "Advertiser" snooping is the little problem. The big problem is that gov wants all the same data so they can control everything. They want to know how much energy people use ("climate" being the excuse), how much money they acquire and spend (and on what), what they say/think, what their health is etc. The "vaccine passport" is seen as a way to get over the threshold with openly monitoring people. Factions in gov and business are very jealous of China's "social credit" ratings (US tech helped China build this system and they are already getting heavy handed) and they want it in the US. Put your name in Google and see how many sites already list a lose rating for you. The recent bill give IRS ability to directly monitor al bank activity. All this exploding data collection will be used for this and dozens of other things that have nothing to do with advertising.

"The American Families Plan calls for banks and other financial institutions to report more than just a taxpayer’s interest earned, capital gains and losses. Banks and other financial institutions would also be required to report “aggregate account outflows and inflows.” In other words, the IRS will know about all of your bank accounts.."

I’m channeling my inner Rodney Dangerfield (may he RIP)...I get no respect. I start talking around my iPhone since last night, dropping brand names...and nothing. No ads, no pop ups, no emails, etc.

When visiting friends and relatives with Goole and Alexa devices I secretly chat up obscure vacations to places like Madagascar and Paraguay. A week or two later I check to see if they have been considering odd travel destinations. Try it 😉😅. PS - if you don’t like your host, then quietly ask Alexa/Siri/etc. about special meds for embarrassing ailments... my BIL is getting a lot of male breast enhancement solicitations 😂

ADVERTISEMENT