ADVERTISEMENT

OT Chromecast or Roku?

RU2007RSLN2010

Freshman
Sep 25, 2011
My "smart" television is having issues connecting to certain apps. I am thinking of purchasing a streaming device such as a chromecast or roku to rectify this. Does anyone have any suggestions? They both get positive reviews. I like how the chromecast doesn't come with a remote and you can run it with your phone. I heard roku has more apps and a better search feature. Anyone have one of these devices and recommend one over the other?

Love Roku, but no experience with Chromecast. If you want to use your phone as a remote, you can get an app, but I prefer the hard remote ... doesn't run down your battery, stays with the TV remote, etc. Like Roku's interface and app selection. I always thought of Chromecast (and Roku stick) as good for those that want to save money on the hardware, but I prefer the box.

I prefer Roku to Chromecast. I've had Roku, Chromecast (1st Gen) and FireTV. I like Chromecast but unlike Roku and FireTV you have to use a device to cast to it. So say you want to watch Amazon prime on a Chromecast you need to fire up your laptop with Google Crome (and the Chromecast extension) to be able watch the show on a TV. Roku and FireTV have Amazon Video apps to run standalone. You can cast with your phone still but it's not necessary. Roku also has a PS Vue app which for ~$40 / month (2nd tier plan) will get you all the sports channels plus BTN. I'm sure the PS Vue app from a phone will cast to a Chromecast too but I haven't tried it to confirm.

That said I prefer the FireTV interface over Roku but my stick died and they only had Roku stick at Best Buy in stock.

Chromecast (2nd Gen) does support 1080p output while my Roku only does 720p. I didn't check Fire TV.

Bottom line if your an Amazon Prime person then go Roku or Fire TV, otherwise it's just a preference of if you want to cast everything from your phone or tablet or if you prefer a standalone device.

firestick and hack it and load kodi... free tv

... personally i don't have this, i pay for my cable tv.... optimum is great for me

My "smart" television is having issues connecting to certain apps. I am thinking of purchasing a streaming device such as a chromecast or roku to rectify this. Does anyone have any suggestions? They both get positive reviews. I like how the chromecast doesn't come with a remote and you can run it with your phone. I heard roku has more apps and a better search feature. Anyone have one of these devices and recommend one over the other?
Love love love my Roku! I have 3 at home. Cut out cable tv a few years ago and very happy saving the $100 while still getting everything I watch.

I started with and love my Chromecast. I also bought the new model Roku recently for the 4K streaming and the native NBC Sports Live Extra app. I use them both pretty frequently. If I just want to stream something from YouTube to the TV really quickly, I'll use the Chromecast (you can cast with the Roku as well, but it takes a bit longer to start up initially). My wife also uses the Chromecast to stream her music to our home theater. As someone mentioned above, the UI of the apps on the Roku can be a bit clunky. Can't really go wrong with either. Roku definitely has more functionality. If you're just going to be using it to stream Netflix or YouTube, then Chromecast would definitely be sufficient and cheaper.

No experience with Amazon Fire TV, but this thread has certainly piqued by interest.

Guess I'm in the minority with the apple tv. Picked up the newer version from Best Buy just recently on Prime Day. It has more available tv network apps than the previous version and you can download various kind of apps now just like your phone, iPad etc.. Main hope is hopefully somewhere down the line functionality of a cable box comes so that I can ditch some of mine. Currently can airplay tv through the FIOS mobile app but a little bit of a clunky way of going about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATIOH
I'd go with Roku or Amazon Fire TV to play apps natively. I don't understand why you would want to limit yourself to casting from your phone or tablet to your TV, as you have to then keep your phone or tablet plugged in or drain the battery.

Reactions: R1776U
I have 2 Roku. They work fine, no experience with either Chromecast or Fire. I use Roku because it pairs with slingbox via my iphone, we can bring it on vacation to watch BTN for example.

I've heard good things about Appletv. Anyone else hear the same or have experience with it. How does it compare to Roku?

If you are streaming tv through netflix or slingtv the answer is Roku and its not even close. With Roku you can directly plug your modem into the Roku for superior almost never interrupted streaming. This is impossible for Chromecast and Fire Stick which i also have. With those you really on wifi which at times loses the signal while streaming. Again we tried both ways and this works the best which direct modem connection. As someone else pointed out Fire stick you can watch free stuff but it is not 100% reliable but still very cool. I guess in short it depends what you want it for.

I've heard good things about Appletv. Anyone else hear the same or have experience with it. How does it compare to Roku?
I can't compare to any of the other streaming devices as I don't own them. I do have an older version of Apple TV and now recently the new version.

The older version came pre-loaded with certain apps like Netflix, Youtube, Watch ESPN, HBO Go, Showtime, Hulu and some other network apps like ABC, CNN, CNBC, USA, NBC sports, NFL MLB, etc.. some of them with live access some not. You still have to be a cable subscriber though to activate most tv apps.

The newer version Apple TV 4 doesn't have any pre-loaded apps so you download whichever apps you like from the app store just like you would on your iPhone or iPad. There are more network apps available like Food Channels, SyFy, Discovery family of channels, etc.. on top of the ones available in the old Apple TV. It has either 32GB or 64GB storage. I think the newer remote is slightly better than the older version and it has voice command enabled with Siri. Seems better than Siri on a iPhone with regards to voice recognition, not sure why that is. It can also be synced with your devices. At least through FIOS, you can airplay the FIOS mobile app to the Apple TV giving you access to your whole array of channels on your cable subscription. So technically you wouldn't need a box but it is sort of a clunky way to do it. I don't know what apps Comcast or Optimum have and if they allow airplay. There are also game apps, etc available in the app store but as that's not my main purpose I can't speak to them.

I basically use it for Netflix and the premium channels and I've been satisfied with the old one and in the short time I've owned the new one it's been good too. Outside of a "normal" PC, I'm in the Apple ecosystem with my other devices so I don't plan on changing but was kind of surprised that I seem to be the only one so far who has responded that uses Apple TV for streaming.

I have a Fire Stick, Roku stick and Apple TV.

1. Apple TV. Best interface of all of the players. All the apps are far more polished on Apple TV then other platforms. I also love that they all follow the same template. It has Bluetooth so it allows you to connect headphones and keyboards directly through it. You can also case things from your phone or use your phone as a remote. The only downside is it lacks apps for certain services like Amazon and vudu. You can cast these. Has universal search that searches multiple apps.

2. Roku. Nice interface. Very quick responding. Apps are not as polished as Apple TV ones but they have every app. You also can add apps through a web portal or on your phone. Can use phone as remote or listen through phone. You can also cast from it.

3. Fire Stick. Interface is heavily slanted towards Amazon services. Much slower and apps are not as polished. Least favorite of the three.

4. Chromcast. Never bought one because it is nice not having to be tied to phone.

Last edited:
Unrelated to OP but some people have brought up cord cutting and the ability to record shows. I highly recommend Playstation Vue, which is somewhat of a stopgap between paying for cable tv and full cord cutting. It is essentially Sony's version of Sling but it blows Sling out of the water in my opinion. I canceled my cable subscription with Verizon and right now just pay for fios internet and the middle package for Vue. The channels and pricing vary on your location. I live in East Windsor, so I get 80+ channels from the NYC market, including most of the big sports channels (BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, YES, NBCSN, SEC Network). You get all of the features if you use a Playstation 3 or 4, such as tv guide, pause/rewind/fast forward, ability to record shows. You can also use other devices (chromecast, fire tv, roku), but they aren't as fully featured. Another nice feature is that you can use PS Vue on up to five (I think) devices simultaneously.

Reactions: R1776U

I have both (older models, not the latest). I got Apple TV specifically for watching RU games. Before they added the B1G app to Roku, I would load the game on my iPad then cast it over to the Apple TV (don't know why people would choose to do this over a dedicated device, btw). This feature was pretty meh, as it'd often disconnect, and didn't work for things like the Comcast app. Other than that, I haven't really used my Apple TV since they added the B1G app to Roku. Roku has a better selection of apps, better features and a better interface, imo. Plus I have to deal with Apple's irritating BS on my computer and devices all day - I don't want it in my TV when I'm relaxing ; )

Apple TV is good if you want to easily sync up with your Apple ecosystem (iTunes, video collection, etc.), but other than that, I think it's a couple steps behind other options.

I have a Fire Stick, Roku stick and Apple TV.

1. Apple TV. Best interface of all of the players. All the apps are far more polished on Apple TV then other platforms. I also love that they all follow the same template. It has Bluetooth so it allows you to connect headphones and keyboards directly through it. You can also case things from your phone or use your phone as a remote. The only downside is it lacks apps for certain services like Amazon and vudu. You can cast these. Has universal search that searches multiple apps.

2. Roku. Nice interface. Very quick responding. Apps are not as polished as Apple TV ones but they have every app. You also can add apps through a web portal or on your phone. Can use phone as remote or listen through phone. You can also cast from it.

3. Fire Stick. Interface is heavily slanted towards Amazon services. Much slower and apps are not as polished. Least favorite of the three.

4. Chromcast. Never bought one because it nice not having to be tied to phone.

That's a huge downside given that Amazon is the best (legal) streaming deal out there. I forgot about that above - I use Amazon and Netflix probably 50/50, so not having Amazon is a big reason I don't use my Apple TV.

Those are also two of the better services for on-demand rentals. Does Apple have a decent on-demand rental option?

That's a huge downside given that Amazon is the best (legal) streaming deal out there. I forgot about that above - I use Amazon and Netflix probably 50/50, so not having Amazon is a big reason I don't use my Apple TV.

Those are also two of the better services for on-demand rentals. Does Apple have a decent on-demand rental option?
Yes it is in line with the others. However I typically use Amazin simply because I get a ton of free movie credits for no rush shipping. There were rumors of both a vudu and Amazon app coming soon but neither have appeared.

Unrelated to OP but some people have brought up cord cutting and the ability to record shows. I highly recommend Playstation Vue, which is somewhat of a stopgap between paying for cable tv and full cord cutting. It is essentially Sony's version of Sling but it blows Sling out of the water in my opinion. I canceled my cable subscription with Verizon and right now just pay for fios internet and the middle package for Vue. The channels and pricing vary on your location. I live in East Windsor, so I get 80+ channels from the NYC market, including most of the big sports channels (BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, YES, NBCSN, SEC Network). You get all of the features if you use a Playstation 3 or 4, such as tv guide, pause/rewind/fast forward, ability to record shows. You can also use other devices (chromecast, fire tv, roku), but they aren't as fully featured. Another nice feature is that you can use PS Vue on up to five (I think) devices simultaneously.
imma have to look into the Vue packages... do they have discovery, history, smithsonian?

I'm not buying the whole "smart" TV concept yet.

You can always just plug in a Chromecast or Roku and make it view what you want to stream. I was given an Amazon Fire Stick and wasn't impressed with it. My roommate has an Apple TV and loves it.

I'd go:

1. Chromecast
2. Roku (I complained of the slow UI earlier, but I admit I do have an older Roku LT I got for $40 years back)
3. Apple TV

4. Amazon Fire stick (kept losing WiFi connection and slow UI)

I recommend Chromecast above all because you can stream just about any service whether you're using your Android phone, iPhone, iPad. It's also the cheapest in terms of cost and streams HD quality.

I would throw the Matricom G-Box in the ring as well. A little more pricey that the Chromecast, Apple TV and Roku though (costs $97 on Amazon.) It comes preloaded with Kodi if that is the route you would like to go. Also has access to the Google Play where you can download any additional apps you want (Netflix, HBO, Hulu, BTN2GO, etc.) I believe it is also compatible with Amazon Prime. Basically the box works as a mini PC that runs through your TV. To me is it definitely worth the value as it has access to any app you want and is not limited like the Roku and Apple TV. Worth doing some research on before buying another streaming device.

I will warn though, it is probably for the more "advanced user". If you know exactly what apps you want, then going with one of the other streaming devices may be your preference. I like it because it gives me access to Kodi and every app in the Google Play.

I would throw the Matricom G-Box in the ring as well. A little more pricey that the Chromecast, Apple TV and Roku though (costs $97 on Amazon.) It comes preloaded with Kodi if that is the route you would like to go. Also has access to the Google Play where you can download any additional apps you want (Netflix, HBO, Hulu, BTN2GO, etc.) I believe it is also compatible with Amazon Prime. Basically the box works as a mini PC that runs through your TV. To me is it definitely worth the value as it has access to any app you want and is not limited like the Roku and Apple TV. Worth doing some research on before buying another streaming device.

I will warn though, it is probably for the more "advanced user". If you know exactly what apps you want, then going with one of the other streaming devices may be your preference. I like it because it gives me access to Kodi and every app in the Google Play.

Do you have BTN in Kodi? I downloaded the Beast the other day and haven't been able to find it

I'm not buying the whole "smart" TV concept yet.

You can always just plug in a Chromecast or Roku and make it view what you want to stream. I was given an Amazon Fire Stick and wasn't impressed with it. My roommate has an Apple TV and loves it.

I'd go:

1. Chromecast
2. Roku (I complained of the slow UI earlier, but I admit I do have an older Roku LT I got for $40 years back)
3. Apple TV

4. Amazon Fire stick (kept losing WiFi connection and slow UI)

I recommend Chromecast above all because you can stream just about any service whether you're using your Android phone, iPhone, iPad. It's also the cheapest in terms of cost and streams HD quality.

Agreed. Smart TVs are like the modern-day version of the TV/VCR combo ... which I never actually saw in real life, outside of maybe the community room at RU dorms.

Haven't looked at prices in a while, but seem to recall smart TVs always being more expensive than equivalent non-smart HD TV and standalone streamer box ... which makes no sense whatsoever. Given how cheap streamer boxes are, they should charge a $25 premium and that's it. Otherwise, "smart" TVs are one of the dumbest things going.

Do you have BTN in Kodi? I downloaded the Beast the other day and haven't been able to find it

I am not sure of your familiarity with Kodi, but for everyone that says Kodi "gives you free TV" that is not exactly true. It is the add-ons to Kodi that have the free content (which most of the time toes the line of legality). A good add on to Kodi for sports is "Sportsdevil". I also believe "Phoenix" has live streaming sports as well. It is difficult to explain how to add these to Kodi, but if you simply google something to the effect of "adding Sportsdevil to Kodi" there will be videos that have step by step instructions on how to add it. Shouldn't take all that long to add. Kodi also works much better if you have a wireless mouse and keyboard as you will have to do some typing in order to get the add-ons.

As far as the BTN, as long as you have a cable subscription (My parents don't mind do they?) you have access to BTN2GO, which is a stream of the BTN for you tablets and devices. I downloaded the app to my streaming device and BOOM Rutgers.

I have an older Roku that still works great, a Fire Stick (the usb one), and then the Fire box (not sure what it is called). The usb one that looks like a small usb drive couldn't handle HBO GO, so I upgraded and have been very happy ever since. Considering my old Roku is going strong years later, I'd definitely buy from that company again..... just don't get the one that looks like a thumb drive.

ADVERTISEMENT