ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coaching Carousel

A slightly higher stepping stone than Buffalo, and considering the past record of success of the Collins, Rhule, Golden and Addazio, 2 years there could get him to the P5.

Has Leipold been mentioned for any P5 openings?

Only here to the extent we’re “open”

Reactions: Knight Shift
Why would make the move to Temple?
Like said above a slightly higher level from low level mid major to upper level mid major. Maybe a bump in salary as well.

Also his name didn't really get much play this year from Buffalo but also as said above Temple lately seems to be a good launching spot into the P5 if you can do well there.

Doesn't mean he would go there and who knows if they're even looking in his direction but it's not a crazy idea.

Looks like a guy I had mentioned as someone I'd have liked to look at OC last year will be staying at UNT turning down overtures from Mack Brown. Would have been a solid hire but guessing the young guy didn't want to join the geriatric road show.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 3h3 hours ago
#NorthTexas OC Graham Harrell is staying with the Mean Green, per source, contrary to report that said he was going to be the OC at #UNC on Mack Brown's staff.

How many programs besides Temple can say they've lost their last three coaches because they moved on to another job? I'd much rather have that than firing three straight coaches.

How many programs besides Temple can say they've lost their last three coaches because they moved on to another job? I'd much rather have that than firing three straight coaches.
It is actually four straight, Golden - The U, Addazio - BC, Rhule - Baylor, Collins - GT. Add in the fact the team they got coming back in 2019 should win 9/10 games and Russo is still there in 2020, I am sure Kraft's phone is ringing off the hook with the up and coming second tier guys and former P5 HCs looking to get back in the game.

A poster who is tuned in. Next season is going to be a very good year. Our AD is going to have his pick of candidates. Might be a shock to many of you that think we’re “little old Temple”, but the job pays a nice buck too.

You can all relax about our AD interviewing Schiano. He won’t be on the short list. Probably won’t even make the long list. Neither will Golden. We don’t intend to go backwards. My personal favorite candidate presently calls the Big 12 home but has massive recruiting connections throughout the Northeast and Mid Atlantic. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

A poster who is tuned in. Next season is going to be a very good year. Our AD is going to have his pick of candidates. Might be a shock to many of you that think we’re “little old Temple”, but the job pays a nice buck too.

You can all relax about our AD interviewing Schiano. He won’t be on the short list. Probably won’t even make the long list. Neither will Golden. We don’t intend to go backwards. My personal favorite candidate presently calls the Big 12 home but has massive recruiting connections throughout the Northeast and Mid Atlantic. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Hmmm. Sounds like a WVU coach but they just lost their OC Spavital (sp) to a lower level Texas school.

i think he’s going to do a good job, but it’s not him. My choice is on Rhule’s staff @ Baylor. Already knows our program. Recruited many of the guys that remain on the roster.

Matt Rhule coming back? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fran Brown. He’s most definitely on the list of candidates. Kirk Ciarrocca is likely another one.

Salary quotes can be misleading. Many have a very low base salary, that increases with each win, variety of statistics, national rankings, bowl games, national championship inclusion, etc, etc, etc

I read somewhere that Nick Saban has a base salary of $245,000 a year. It jumps up as they reach each trigger point, along with his personal income tax paid by the alumni, a free furnished home that sits by itself on an island in a Georgia Lake (property tax paid by the alumni), free cars, boats, radio show, camps, personal appearances.... etc

What I may like about this? If he is ever fired and he has 4 years left on the contract... he should be paid like corporate America. His severance pay should be $245g's times 4...... with many of his perks "repossessed" for the next coach.

Many times what is quoted or written is the maximum annual value of the contract.
Not exactly. While his base salary is $245,000, he also gets a ~$5.8M guaranteed "Talent Fee," and has a golden parachute that pays him the base salary plus talent fee to the tune of ~$25M-$26M, if he's fired without cause, so his contract is like every other corporate CEO and college football head coach.

https://hkm.com/football/contracts/nick-saban/

What does this mean Greg Robinson is co-DC and he was just giving his buddy a job.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 2m2 minutes ago
SOURCE: #Army DC JAY BATEMAN has accepted the defensive coordinator job at #UNC. Terrific hire for Mack Brown. The hire was 1st reported by Inside Carolina.

From footballscoop as well:

North Carolina: Source tells FootballScoop Mack Brown is hiring former Louisville co-offensive coordinator Lonnie Galloway. Galloway, who is from the state and played at Western Carolina, has extensive coaching history in the state having coached at Elon, App State, Wake Forest, East Carolina.

Temple would actually be a great spot for schiano. Temple will finally have a coach stick around for a bit.

Temple would actually be a great spot for schiano. Temple will finally have a coach stick around for a bit.

You would wonder, IF Schiano got that job, he would make McNulty an offer to be OC and Asst head coach?

Footballscoop reporting former Colorado HC Mike Macintyre is going to be DC at Ole Miss.

3 years at 1.5M/yr. and also sounds like there are no offsets for jobs other than HC. So I’m guessing he’s going to be paid his full salary from Colorado and 1.5M as Ole Miss DC. Another wonderful contract by an AD and this was off 1 year short term result.

I don’t know what Ash’s contract looks like but this no offset for jobs other than HC is something to keep in mind.....whether he has a clause like that or not.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Footballscoop reporting former Colorado HC Mike Macintyre is going to be DC at Ole Miss.

3 years at 1.5M/yr. and also sounds like there are no offsets for jobs other than HC. So I’m guessing he’s going to be paid his full salary from Colorado and 1.5M as Ole Miss DC. Another wonderful contract by an AD and this was off 1 year short term result.

I don’t know what Ash’s contract looks like but this no offset for jobs other than HC is something to keep in mind.....whether he has a clause like that or not.
Good news:
"In the case of termination without cause by the University (which shall be by written notice to you), Rutgers shall continue to pay your bi-weekly base salary under the terms of this agreement, and no other amount or item, subject to the obligation on your part to
exert reasonable efforts to secure other employment. Should you subsequently accept a position as a head coach or assistant coach in the NFL or college football (Division I), or any other employment in coaching or scouting related to football, Rutgers shall be entitled to offset the amount it owes you by the income you earn in these positions."

https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wp...acts/chrisash-rutgers-employment-contract.pdf

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Good news:
"In the case of termination without cause by the University (which shall be by written notice to you), Rutgers shall continue to pay your bi-weekly base salary under the terms of this agreement, and no other amount or item, subject to the obligation on your part to
exert reasonable efforts to secure other employment. Should you subsequently accept a position as a head coach or assistant coach in the NFL or college football (Division I), or any other employment in coaching or scouting related to football, Rutgers shall be entitled to offset the amount it owes you by the income you earn in these positions."

https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wp...acts/chrisash-rutgers-employment-contract.pdf
Well that’s good to know.

Well that’s good to know.
Maybe overestimating his value, but Ash has to worth at least as much as MacIntyre as a DC? Ash has a longer track record as a P5 DC at several stops.

This is why I think that if one of the reasons for holding onto Ash is money, it is a chicken shit, short-sighted move. It is a minor gamble to estimate that Ash's buyout over the next 4 years:
2019-$2.3 million - $1.5 million= $0.8 million
2020-$2.4 million - $1.5 million= $0.9 million
2021-$2.5 million- $1.5 million= $1.0 million
2022-$2.6 million- $1.5 million= $1.1 million

That's $3.8 million over 4 years. Chicken feed.

Schiano was called out as being overpaid:
Total pay: $1.5 million
Verdict: Overpaid. Give the Buckeyes credit for beating Michigan and winning the Big Ten, but that doesn't change the fact that their defense has been incredibly mediocre this year. Schiano's unit has given up 30 points or more in five games, including 49 in a loss to Purdue and 51 to a middling Maryland squad. And after finishing eighth in total defense a year ago, they're now ranked No. 55.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...embed&utm_medium=news&utm_campaign=storylines

Maybe overestimating his value, but Ash has to worth at least as much as MacIntyre as a DC? Ash has a longer track record as a P5 DC at several stops.

This is why I think that if one of the reasons for holding onto Ash is money, it is a chicken shit, short-sighted move. It is a minor gamble to estimate that Ash's buyout over the next 4 years:
2019-$2.3 million - $1.5 million= $0.8 million
2020-$2.4 million - $1.5 million= $0.9 million
2021-$2.5 million- $1.5 million= $1.0 million
2022-$2.6 million- $1.5 million= $1.1 million

That's $3.8 million over 4 years. Chicken feed.

Schiano was called out as being overpaid:
Total pay: $1.5 million
Verdict: Overpaid. Give the Buckeyes credit for beating Michigan and winning the Big Ten, but that doesn't change the fact that their defense has been incredibly mediocre this year. Schiano's unit has given up 30 points or more in five games, including 49 in a loss to Purdue and 51 to a middling Maryland squad. And after finishing eighth in total defense a year ago, they're now ranked No. 55.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...embed&utm_medium=news&utm_campaign=storylines
Yea but no one will pay Ash or any coach that kind of money knowing there’s an offset. They don’t have to it would be like Charlie Strong and Sterlin Gilbert his OC their first couple years at USF. They both had two years left of their Texas contracts so USF paid them less. Ash might get something like 500k as DC or something like that unless another stupid AD wants to pay him more for no reason. It just has to be a reasonable salary commensurate with the position can’t be something like a dollar or what not... 500K would be that.

Reactions: Leonard23
Yea but no one will pay Ash or any coach that kind of money knowing there’s an offset. They don’t have to it would be like Charlie Strong and Sterlin Gilbert his OC their first couple years at USF. They both had two years left of their Texas contracts so USF paid them less. Ash might get something like 500k as DC or something like that unless another stupid AD wants to pay him more for no reason. It just has to be a reasonable salary commensurate with the position can’t be something like a dollar or what not... 500K would be that.

While you are correct, it would seem MacIntyre's deal could be used as leverage for a fired coach with an offset clause like Ash.

So, MacIntyre is set to make Charlie Weis style money for the next several years, unless he is hired as a head coach. Talk about a DUMB CLAUSE by Colorado. Fire HOBBS!!!

Colorado's AD is a seasoned P5 AD:
https://cubuffs.com/staff.aspx?staff=298

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-ole-miss-defensive-coordinator-search/

Update> Mike MacIntyre has now been offered and accepted the position reports Chase Parham who covers the Rebels.
SuperTalk Mississippi is reporting Mac’s deal is 3 years, $1.5 million per year. But, why??? Whatever Mac gets is simply a deduct from what Colorado would have had to pay him. Why would Ole Miss lean heavy here?
Upon further review…. we are told MacIntyre’s contract with Colorado is only subject to offset if he were to have been hired as a head coach in college or as an assistant or head coach in the league. Thus, this is all his money. Hey, good for him.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 6h6 hours ago
Hot name for some DC jobs: #Marshall DC Adam Fuller. Herd D is ranked in Top 20 in run D; total D and No. 9 in sacks. Fuller’s in the mix for the #Houston DC job, per source and expected to be a target for a few other DC jobs.

From footballscoop:

Kansas: Source tells FootballScoop Les Miles is planning to hire former Colorado and Kentucky defensive coordinator DJ Eliot in the same role barring any unforeseen circumstances. Eliot joined Mike MacIntyre’s staff for the 2017 season after Jim Leavitt left for Oregon. He had been with Mark Stoops both at Florida State and at Kentucky.

Footballscoop reporting Klieman, Brown and Norvell in the mix but a situation similar to what we had after Schiano left might be an issue and why Littrell took himself out of the mix. Seems KSU wants to know which assistants will stay on staff (guessing Snyder's son would figure into that). I wonder if that's not one reason Klieman might be in the lead as had been reported earlier, coming from the FCS he'd have less leverage (see Flood) and be more amenable to requests.

http://footballscoop.com/news/monday-morning-update-kansas-state-search/

Locksley making a push for both Butch Jones and Tee Martin. Not sure if that staff could coach but they will crush it in recruiting.

Locksley making a push for both Butch Jones and Tee Martin. Not sure if that staff could coach but they will crush it in recruiting.
Tee Martin is a pro style guy who just got the boot from USC. Tyson Helton didn't do so hot at Tenn either even though he got a HC job this offseason...not sure that's the tree I'd wanna pluck from myself but who knows. Butch Jones could be okay but are they going to be co-OCs or something.

Last edited:
Tee Martin is a pro style guy who just got the boot from USC. Tyson Helton do so hot at Tenn either even though he got a HC job this offseason...not sure that's the tree I'd wanna pluck from myself but who knows. Butch Jones could be okay but are they going to be co-OCs or something.
Again, I’m not commenting on the x and o’s but those two guys can recruit

Again, I’m not commenting on the x and o’s but those two guys can recruit
That's fine I understand but if Locksley is a super duper recruiter as said here why bulk that attribute of the staff up instead of real good x and o guys who can develop all that talent he can acquire.....see USC letting Martin go and hiring KK. Butch Jones could be fine but Martin not so sure...even though he's been seen as rising star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT