ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coaching Carousel

Footballscoop reporting Klieman, Brown and Norvell in the mix but a situation similar to what we had after Schiano left might be an issue and why Littrell took himself out of the mix. Seems KSU wants to know which assistants will stay on staff (guessing Snyder's son would figure into that). I wonder if that's not one reason Klieman might be in the lead as had been reported earlier, coming from the FCS he'd have less leverage (see Flood) and be more amenable to requests.

http://footballscoop.com/news/monday-morning-update-kansas-state-search/
Pete Thamel‏Verified account@PeteThamel 7m7 minutes ago
Pete Thamel Retweeted Mike Norvell
And Mike Norvell can crossed off Kansas State list in a quintessentially modern way.

Mike Norvell‏Verified account@Coach_Norvell 23m23 minutes ago
Mike Norvell Retweeted Mark Giannotto
Stop speculating that I’m going anywhere else, I told you I have one of the BEST jobs in the country and I love me some #Memphis #StripeUp #TigerFam #KeepCLIMBing #901Love #MemphisRising

That's fine I understand but if Locksley is a super duper recruiter as said here why bulk that attribute of the staff up instead of real good x and o guys who can develop all that talent he can acquire.....see USC letting Martin go and hiring KK. Butch Jones could be fine but Martin not so sure...even though he's been seen as rising star.
well as you know. These guys hire people they are familiar with and guys they can actually afford. I'd imagine Martin fits both criteria for Locksley

Reactions: rutgersguy1
From footballscoop..he has been the leading candidate and the AD has a relationship with him from NDSU IIRC. I wonder if Snyder's son will remain on staff...if so I'd think that's also part of the reason he was chosen. Reasonable salary with an avg of about 2.8M....a year more than I'd have given though.....5 years is still the norm but lately seeing longer deals on initial P5 contracts....wonder what the buyouts of some of these deals are.

Kansas State:
Kansas State has hired Chris Klieman. Watch and listen for yourself as Gene Taylor makes the call to officially offer Klieman “an absolute dream job.”

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 1h1 hour ago
Updating our report from earlier today... #KSTATE makes it official: North Dakota State’s Chris Klieman is Wildcats new head coach. He’s 67-6 there.. Klieman has agreed to a six-year contract with a base salary of $2.3 million in 2019 with a $200,000 increase each year.

Also looks like KK is having some influence on the offensive staff at USC.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 17m17 minutes ago
SOURCE: #USC is expected to hire former #BowlingGreen HC Mike Jinks as the Trojans new RB coach. He coached with new Trojan OC Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech.. the hire was 1st reported by http://USCFootball.com.

Also mention about Venables...I get the feeling Dabo may luck out and he's just going to be his Bud Foster at least for the forseeable future.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 29m29 minutes ago
Bruce Feldman Retweeted Lesa L. Jones
It's my understanding that Brent Venables was pursued by at least two places for HC vacancies this month but it's going to take a whole lot of get him to leave his situation at Clemson, which he really loves.

Also update on Temple search...Mike Elko's (and Manny Diaz) name brought up....that would be a nice proving ground for him and if he keeps the spread it would be nice and then a perfect stepping stone towards us if necessary in the future. I've mentioned him before as a possible name I like and the G5 experience would be great for him to prove himself. He's a defensive coach but time with good solid offensive guys like Clawson/Kelly/Fisher would hopefully have been a good enough influence on him to not be like Ash has been on offense. If he gets hired we'll get to see if it's true or not.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-temple-head-coaching-search/

The University of Colorado might be dancing a jig soon. MacIntyre landing at Ole Miss probably mitigates its risk.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/10/colorado-buffaloes-mike-macintyre-ole-miss-rebels-buyout/
Well if they can get out of those clauses where he's neither college HC or NFL HC/assistant lucky them. I don't know why Ole Miss paid him that much to begin with, he's not a name that I'd have considered to be a top defensive coach or something

On another note for Neal Brown a candidate who didn't land a P5 job this go around. It's been reported at various sites that his buyout was a somewhat prohibitive (at least for us) 3M but Feldman says otherwise. It's actually just 300K and drops to 200K.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 8h8 hours ago
Neal Brown’s name has been discussed with some head coaching searches, as expected. One detail that probably needs to be cleared up: Brown has never had a $3M buyout. It sits at $300K and drops to $200k in February.

On another note for Neal Brown a candidate who didn't land a P5 job this go around. It's been reported at various sites that his buyout was a somewhat prohibitive (at least for us) 3M but Feldman says otherwise. It's actually just 300K and drops to 200K.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 8h8 hours ago
Neal Brown’s name has been discussed with some head coaching searches, as expected. One detail that probably needs to be cleared up: Brown has never had a $3M buyout. It sits at $300K and drops to $200k in February.
Still too high for us.

Well if they can get out of those clauses where he's neither college HC or NFL HC/assistant lucky them. I don't know why Ole Miss paid him that much to begin with, he's not a name that I'd have considered to be a top defensive coach or something
This has raised the bar for a guy like Ash (and Durkin when he returns as a DC somewhere--and he will), regardless of any money owed.

Think that Ash will command at least $800K-$1M at his next DC gig.

This has raised the bar for a guy like Ash (and Durkin when he returns as a DC somewhere--and he will), regardless of any money owed.

Think that Ash will command at least $800K-$1M at his next DC gig.
Sure if he's on the open market I could see that but IMO it's stupidity of an AD to pay him or any coach that much while he's still owed a salary at a previous school. You could bump a salary up when a prior contract is up but why the heck would you do it when you could take advantage of having a guy being paid on someone else's dime.

USF's tact was smart (Strong/Gilbert), UCF as well with Randy Shannon as DC (on his UF contract).....Ole Miss' not so much and that's even if he wasn't owed...Mike Macintyre isn't worth 1.5M IMO anyway.

Ole miss is on probation. They are willing to over pay in hopes of staying relevant

Also update on Temple search...Mike Elko's (and Manny Diaz) name brought up....that would be a nice proving ground for him and if he keeps the spread it would be nice and then a perfect stepping stone towards us if necessary in the future. I've mentioned him before as a possible name I like and the G5 experience would be great for him to prove himself. He's a defensive coach but time with good solid offensive guys like Clawson/Kelly/Fisher would hopefully have been a good enough influence on him to not be like Ash has been on offense. If he gets hired we'll get to see if it's true or not.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-temple-head-coaching-search/

Not saying you guys won't go this path but Temple does pay well for a G5. Collins was making $2M a year which is only $100K less than Ash is making per year. I could see a Diaz or Elko type making in the $2.5M range with a hefty buyout.

Not saying you guys won't go this path but Temple does pay well for a G5. Collins was making $2M a year which is only $100K less than Ash is making per year. I could see a Diaz or Elko type making in the $2.5M range with a hefty buyout.
Not bad, didn't know that.

I don't particularly like paying 3M+ for first time P5 coaches but that's the trend generally these days and as we get a larger share of B10 revenue with each passing year I suspect we will be heading in that direction too.

After the disaster hire IMO of Greg Robinson...Mack Brown has followed up with 2 solid hires. Already reported Army DC Jay Bateman but now also Phil Longo (NJ guy and Ole Miss OC). His offense didn't fare as well against SEC teams even though rated highly, maybe they will do better in the ACC....still a solid name though.

I'll say this much even though Mack has been out of the game for a bit at least he knows the direction of the sport which is more than I can say for some other coaches. We'll see how it works out for him but I said it would depend on his staff and I think he's made some solid coordinator hires.

Bruce Feldman Retweeted Bruce Feldman

In 2018, new #UNC OC Phil Longo's offense at #OleMiss ranked No. 7 in the nation in yards per play and were No. 2 behind OU for most plays of 30+ yards.

SOURCE: #OleMiss OC Phil Longo will become the new offensive coordinator at UNC for Mack Brown who is going Air-Raid.

After the disaster hire IMO of Greg Robinson...Mack Brown has followed up with 2 solid hires. Already reported Army DC Jay Bateman but now also Phil Longo (NJ guy and Ole Miss OC). .

Just moving closer to NJ so Rutgers can hire him as HC.

What a resume (from his Sam Houston bio):

Offensive coordinator Phil Longo has fashioned an up-tempo Sam Houston offense that is smashing records. The past two seasons the Bearkats have produced 15,128 yards total offense. That figure translates into eight and two-third miles of yards gained. In 31 games in 2014 and 2015, Sam Houston has averaged 488 yards and 37.8 points per contest.

The Bearkats’ 7,975 yards was a Southland Conference season record and ranked third all-time in NCAA Division I FCS history. Sam Houston led the nation in total offense and first downs per game. Other FCS stat rankings included No. 5 in scoring, No. 9 in rushing offense, No. 14 in third down conversions, No. 16 in passing offense and No. 18 in yards per completion.

The 1,275 plays run by Longo’s offense in 2016 also is a league record. Three times in the past two seasons, Sam Houston has run more than 100 plays in a game including a school record 118 plays in last year’s NCAA opening round victory over Southern Utah.

In 2014, Longo’s attack led the Southland in rushing and red zone offense and ranked among the top 25 FCS teams nationally in scoring, rushing and total offense.

During Longo’s two seasons on head coach K. C. Keeler’s staff, the Kats have posted a 22-9 record, reached the NCAA Division I Football National Championship semifinals twice and won the Southland Conference championship in 2014.

Sam Houston won the 2014 Southland Conference championship during an 11-5 season that saw the Kats advance to the FCS semifinals in playoff games with victories over three top 10-ranked opponents. Fifteen Bearkat offensive players earned All-Southland Conference honors. Sam Houston posted 10 offensive single game and season records and produced the Southland Offensive “Player of the Year” and the “Offensive Lineman of the Year” in 2015.

Longo joined head coach K. C. Keeler’s staff early in 2014 after serving as an assistant at Slippery Rock, Youngstown State, Southern Illinois, Minnesota-Duluth, LaSalle and William Paterson University.

As offensive coordinator at Slippery Rock, his “Air Raid” offense led the 16-team Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference in scoring and total offense, averaging 43.3 points and 536.5 yards. The no-huddle attack finished fourth nationally in total offense, sixth in passing offense and eighth in both scoring and first downs.

Regarded as an outstanding recruiter and quarterback coach, Longo has mentored two Harlon Hill Trophy finalists, Nigel Barksdale at Slippery Rock and Ted Schafke at Minnesota-Duluth.

Longo joined the SRU staff in 2011 as wide receivers coach. He took over as offensive coordinator and quarterback coach in 2012. The Rock averaged 34.8 points and 407.3 total yards per game that year.

At Youngstown State in 2010, Longo served as receivers coach, tutoring first-team all-conference Dominique Barnes. A free agent signee with Detroit in the NFL, Barnes set a school record by catching a pass in 34 consecutive games and finished his career ranked second in school history in receptions.

Longo spent two seasons as offensive coordinator at Southern Illinois University, helping the program post a 15-1 Missouri Valley Football Conference record and back-to-back conference championships. SIU was 20-5 overall during Longo's tenure as offensive coordinator.

The Salukis finished seventh in FCS scoring in 2009, averaging 34.0 points per game. Running back Deji Karim finished third in the Walter Payton Award balloting after rushing for 1,694 yards and 18 touchdowns. In Longo’s first season with the Salukis, his offense feature a 1,000-yard rusher in Larry Warner and a passing game that ranked No. 2 in the conference.

As offensive coordinator at Minnesota-Duluth in 2006 and 2007, Longo tutored quarterback Ted Schlafke who set all of the school’s passing records and led Minnesota-Duluth to the 2008 NCAA Division II national title.

As head coach at LaSalle, Longo produced two conference offensive players of the year, five All-Americans and 13 all-conference selections. His 2004 team ranked second in FCS national total offense and established 19 school records.

Longo served as associate head coach and offensive coordinator at William Paterson University in 2000-01. The Pioneer offense ranked among the top attacks in NCAA Division III football and finished with the third-highest scoring average in school history. The team produced 33 school records.

Before entering the college coaching ranks, Longo was the winningest coach in school history at Parsippany Hills High School in Troy, New Jersey. In 1999, his team competed in and won the 11th highest scoring game in the history of high school football in the U.S. Longo earned NJ Star Ledger and Daily Record Coach of the Year honors in 1998-99 and was awarded the Sportsmanship, Ethics & Integrity Award by the National Federation of State High School Associations.

A running back for SHSU head coach K. C. Keeler at Rowan University from 1988 to 1991, Longo was a member of the school’s first New Jersey Athletic Conference championship and NCAA Division III playoff team. The New Jersey native earned a bachelor’s degree in physical education from Rowan in 1992.
Longo and his wife Tanya are the parents of daughters Gianna and Macaria.

After the disaster hire IMO of Greg Robinson...Mack Brown has followed up with 2 solid hires. Already reported Army DC Jay Bateman but now also Phil Longo (NJ guy and Ole Miss OC). His offense didn't fare as well against SEC teams even though rated highly, maybe they will do better in the ACC....still a solid name though.

I'll say this much even though Mack has been out of the game for a bit at least he knows the direction of the sport which is more than I can say for some other coaches. We'll see how it works out for him but I said it would depend on his staff and I think he's made some solid coordinator hires.

Bruce Feldman Retweeted Bruce Feldman

In 2018, new #UNC OC Phil Longo's offense at #OleMiss ranked No. 7 in the nation in yards per play and were No. 2 behind OU for most plays of 30+ yards.

SOURCE: #OleMiss OC Phil Longo will become the new offensive coordinator at UNC for Mack Brown who is going Air-Raid.
I wish set if Ole Miss pushes Longo out a bit. My understanding is he and his family loved loved Ole Miss.

I wish set if Ole Miss pushes Longo out a bit. My understanding is he and his family loved loved Ole Miss.
I’m guessing you meant you wonder if Ole Miss and Luke pushed Longo out. I suppose it’s possible. Like I said numbers were good but against SEC teams not so much and they had some red zone difficulty as well. Nonetheless still think it’s a solid hire by Mack.

Reactions: vkj91
Oh well looks like Elko is staying at A&M.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 47m47 minutes ago
Good news for #TAMU: DC Mike Elko is staying at Texas A&M, per source. There had been speculation that he might be headed to Temple for their HC job. Yahoo first reported the news.

EDIT: Seems about 8-10 people interviewed for the job including Michigan's DC Don Brown. Sounds like a choice will be named soon.

http://www2.philly.com/college-spor...manny-diaz-search-geoff-collins-20181212.html

Reactions: Knight Shift
Oh well looks like Elko is staying at A&M.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 47m47 minutes ago
Good news for #TAMU: DC Mike Elko is staying at Texas A&M, per source. There had been speculation that he might be headed to Temple for their HC job. Yahoo first reported the news.

EDIT: Seems about 8-10 people interviewed for the job including Michigan's DC Don Brown. Sounds like a choice will be named soon.

http://www2.philly.com/college-spor...manny-diaz-search-geoff-collins-20181212.html
To provide some detail:
Elko
Diaz
Don Brown
Foley (interim HC)
Francis Brown
3-5 unnamed others.

Odd that Schiano is not specifically named, and he is a pretty big name. Wonder if he actually interviewed.
According to this unverified Tweet, he did not:

Don Brown knows the East Coast (Maryland and New England background; mostly New England) and is really respected. I think he would be a good get for Temple.

The problem for Temple is he's not an "up and comer", so to speak, which seems to have been the school's MO the last decade. The guy is 63 and has been coaching for over 40 years.

To provide some detail:
Elko
Diaz
Don Brown
Foley (interim HC)
Francis Brown
3-5 unnamed others.

Odd that Schiano is not specifically named, and he is a pretty big name. Wonder if he actually interviewed.
According to this unverified Tweet, he did not:
I'm sure there are others that didn't interview , but Temple had feelers put out to see if interested before the list of potential candidates were parred down to the ones to be interviewed.

Also agents sometimes contact ADs ( or someone close to AD contacts them) looking for coaches and through those talks their client becomes a non factor for one reason or another.
Just because there wasn't an interview, doesn't mean unofficial talks didn't happen.

Also could mean,Temple's AD didn't have Schiano in the mix from the beginning and never planed on Greg being part of the earch process.
The same goes for Greg, might never had considered taking the Temple position, even though I think he shouldn't dismiss any opportunity to return to the HC position if he wants to be a HC again.

Ironing out particulars according to inquirer TU beat reporter. Diaz is going to be the chosen one if parties agree to terms.

If Schiano had stayed at Miami at DC, the job would have been his. :confused:

Schiano has a longer and more varied resume. Wonder if his salary requirements were higher.
Jesus. It’s not salary, it’s no budget, it’s not whatever nonsense You guys come up with. just accept he isn’t what you guys think he is.

Reactions: RickB113
Jesus. It’s not salary, it’s no budget, it’s not whatever nonsense You guys come up with. just accept he isn’t what you guys think he is.
do you mean him? :

The S stands for you know who [laughing]

From footballscoop on Bill Snyder and Mel Tucker's DC:

Kansas State: K-State will pay out Bill Snyder’s $3 million buyout over the next three years even though Snyder retired. “The buyout is just something I wanted to do,” K-State AD Gene Taylor told the Wichita Eagle. “I think he deserved it for everything he has done.” Local reporter Kellis Robinett added, “The contract reads as though Snyder would receive only his buyout for being terminated without cause or the ambassador job after retiring, but now it seems like he will receive both.”

Sources tell FootballScoop Wednesday evening Mel Tucker has hired Tyson Summers to serve as his defensive coordinator at Colorado.

Summers served as a defensive quality control at Georgia the past year+, after spending the 2016 & part of the 2017 season as head coach at Georgia Southern. In total, Georgia Southern went 5-13 under Summers’ watch.

after early signing day the free for all jumping of asst coaches will start nationwide.. Expect several at RU to leave.

Keep the Schiano talk coming and don't complain about your Christmas present
1002m.jpg

Huh?
It's relevant in the context of him not getting the Temple job. It's part of the coaching carousel. And this is a Rutgers football message board.
Triggered?
just calling it as I see it.
Yes it's part of the coaching carousel, but also a name you bring up every chance you can in every thread you can.
Sorry if saying that offends you.
EDIT: after seeing the post after this I come to think maybe I was wrong to attack KS for bringing up Schiano and the Miami DC position in this thread.
It probably is more reverent than I realized and let my being tired of Schiano being brought up as much as he has been without good reason,
KS did have a good reason and I must apologize for my reaction towards him and the message he posted in this thread.
I feel it's better to admit you made a mistake , then ignoring it and acting like you're always right.
Sorry Shift

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT