ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coaching Carousel

Twitter Canes fans speculating that Schiano as DC at Miami. Ohio State announced Larry Johnson is coming back. No announcement on Schiano yet.

I suppose that depends on Mark Richt.

Ralph D. Russo‏Verified account@ralphDrussoAP 18h18 hours ago
Ralph D. Russo Retweeted Rick Nielson
My guess is Schiano's next move is back to the NFL, but back to Miami is one of the few college DC jobs that might make sense. If he does indeed, leave Ohio State.

just calling it as I see it.
Yes it's part of the coaching carousel, but also a name you bring up every chance you can in every thread you can.
Sorry if saying that offends you.
Not offended. Flattered.
This board cannot get away from the topic.
Hope Greg gets a good gig next. He really got hosed by Tennessee and that sucks for him. I truly would like to see what he would do at another HC gig.

Reactions: BlockR
Not offended. Flattered.
Hope Greg gets a good gig next. He really got hosed by Tennessee and that sucks for him. I truly would like to see what he would do at another HC gig.
edited my post to admit I was wrong and your Schiano contribution to this thread was in line with what this thread is about.

Reactions: Knight Shift
edited my post to admit I was wrong and your Schiano contribution to this thread was in line with what this thread is about.
It's ok. I admit that I have goneover the top with Schiano thread-starting, but I did it to poke fun at and counter the nonstop drumbeat of some here that he is the only or best choice as the next head coach. If RU did a full-fledged HC search, vetted several candidates and he got the job, I would be fine with that. But don't want to see RU running to him as the first and only choice. Doubt that would happen with Hobbs and Barchi here.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Not offended. Flattered.
I'd be surprised if Schiano stays there in his current role. I don't think Day wants to lose Grinch to OU or something like that.

Similar to the way Meyer didn't want to lose Day, he let Day takeover playcalling from Wilson, I'd expect the same here with Grinch taking over playcalling if Schiano stays. Peterson and his magnanimous DC Kwiatkowski (didn't have to he was doing quite well) did the same for Lake at Washington to hold on to him. So I'd expect either something like that or he'll be given time to find a landing spot.

I'd be surprised if Schiano stays there in his current role. I don't think Day wants to lose Grinch to OU or something like that.

Similar to the way Meyer didn't want to lose Day, he let Day takeover playcalling from Wilson, I'd expect the same here with Grinch taking over playcalling if Schiano stays. Peterson and his magnanimous DC Kwiatkowski (didn't have to he was doing quite well) did the same for Lake at Washington to hold on to him. So I'd expect either something like that or he'll be given time to find a landing spot.
Back to Diaz at Miami. Did not realize he had the #2 defense for Total Defense and Top 15 for Scoring Defense. To end up 7-5 with that kind of defense is horrible for Richt. Lost to UVA, BC and Duke, scoring only 13, 14, and 12 points. Did not follow them that closely, but he is probably to be glad to be out of there.

Back to Diaz at Miami. Did not realize he had the #2 defense for Total Defense and Top 15 for Scoring Defense. To end up 7-5 with that kind of defense is horrible for Richt. Lost to UVA, BC and Duke, scoring only 13, 14, and 12 points. Did not follow them that closely, but he is probably to be glad to be out of there.
Well he's had a little bit of an up and down a career like anyone could. I remember when he was a hot name awhile back but had some down years as DC and that was that....now back on the upswing again and this time turned it into a HC job.

That's why I say while yes we may not be an ideal option for the hottest of the hot G5/assistant of the moment the other side of it is today your fire may be burning hot but tomorrow you could be burnt out embers so you have to be careful of how choosy you are or you may not get another chance like Diaz happened to in his circumstance.

Their QB play has been horrible.Finding a decent QB is the difference between them being very good and really mediocre.

Matt Wells' deal at TT....another 6 year deal which like I said you're seeing more of lately but a little fiscal sanity in that it's not fully guaranteed. From Well's end 20% of the remaining salary should he leave and from TT's end 70% of the remaining salary should they fire him. Still too much in favor of the coach IMO but a little movement towards being smarter.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 10m10 minutes ago
Some details on new #TexasTech HC Matt Wells' deal: It's six years for $18.8 million ($3.1M per). Buyout by coach is 20% of remaining guaranteed & by TTU is 70% of remaining guaranteed. The asst coach pool is $3.3 M+guaranteed increases each yr. The Board approved the deal today.

EDIT: From footballscoop also there are offsets for future earnings on that 70% so that's a good thing too.

http://footballscoop.com/news/contract-number-matt-wells-texas-tech-assistants/

from football scoop
Alabama: Former Maryland head coach DJ Durkin has been helping Alabama behind the scenes in a “consultant-like capacity,” Matt Zenitz tweets.

Contrary to prior reports that Malzahn was in the middle of adjusting his contract to lower the buyout terms and take less money etc....I said that didn't make sense when those rumors were out there.....why would you bother asking and accepting that much money if you didn't care about it in the first place. Malzahn said there have been no changes in his contract.

Auburn: Gus Malzahn says, contrary to all those local reports from late November, that no one ever approached him about adjusting his contract terms

http://footballscoop.com/news/gus-malzahn-nothing-changed-contract/

Looks like the boat rower has gotten another 1 year extension this after the one year extension he got last offseason. Seems like the requirement for an AD to give an extension is that you're breathing. Don't know how much of it is guaranteed though.

From footballscoop:

Minnesota: PJ Fleck is getting a 1-year contract extension taking him through the 2023 season, per the Pioneer Press. A formal vote by the board of regents and announcement is expected today. Back in January of 2017, Fleck agreed to a five-year $18 million contract, and he received a one-year extension about this time last year as well.

Curt Cignetti, former Elon HC, hired at JMU to fill the spot Mike Houston left when he went to EZU.

https://jmusports.com/news/2018/12/14/curt-cignetti-takes-helm-of-james-madison-football.aspx
Fun fact about Curt Cignetti: His dad is Frank Cignetti, Sr. from Division II IUP fame. Curt took over after his dad retired and coached there for six years before jumping to Elon.

Oh yeah, his brother was also one of the 4,000 offensive coordinators at Rutgers over the last decade.

From Footballscoop:

Oklahoma State:
Per source, Eastern Washington offensive coordinator Bodie Reeder has been offered a position at Oklahoma State and is expected to join Mike Gundy’s staff.

Eastern Washington seems to provide a nice spring board into the P5. Their previous HC Beau Baldwin is OC at Cal, his OC at EWU Troy Taylor became Utah's OC but leaving now to Sac State as HC and now I see Bodie Reader EWU's current OC offered a position at Ok. State...wonder if it's as OC considering Yurcich just left to OSU.

According to the Inquirer, Rod Carey is the front runner for the Temple job. It looks like UNI is paying him $2.4 million base after his contract extension in November, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of bump he would get at Temple.
To be clear, that 2.4 million base:
"he is expected to earn an estimated $2.4 million over the next four years,"

That's $600K/year for you non-math whizzes.

First reaction to the $2.4 million was:
qB.gif

Reactions: Wolv RU
To be clear, that 2.4 million base:
"he is expected to earn an estimated $2.4 million over the next four years,"

That's $600K/year for you non-math whizzes.

First reaction to the $2.4 million was:
qB.gif
I missed that part. Reading comprehension, how does that work again?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I like Rhule. Always thought of him as an NFL type guy. Kind of like Bill O’Brien. That being said, outside of good QB play I have no idea what makes a successful NFL coach vs a flop.
Was being facetious on Ash and mocking that thread that was up. Rhule seems solid. He may get it done with Darnold.

Footballscoop reporting Chip Lindsey to take Troy HC job. Looks like Les will need to find a another OC.

ADVERTISEMENT