ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Columbia Marching Band Shuts Itself down

REading the
NY Times
Columbia Marching Band Shuts Itself Down Over ‘Offensive Behavior’
Have to admit I never got the bands that thought their job was to be ironic hipsters. I could use another word but this is a family board.
Is Stanford next?

Article seems to indicate it was due to off the field behavior rather than their routines. And those halftime shows sometimes could be amusing. The Columbia Salute to Great Dead Dictators in the early 80's when they quoted Shah of Iran says "The people are revolting" and an aide said "Ayatola you so." The Yale show at Dartmouth the year before it went co-ed when the band finished and formed two circles as the began to leave the field and the announcer said: "So men of Dartmouth like the squirrels in your north woods it's time to store your nuts away for winter."

Hopefully ours gets to 300+ soon.

Musically I think our Band sounds great. My friend and I decided last season to try and get in early for their pregame and stick around at halftime to watch...worth it.

Reactions: Igniteshield
Hopefully ours gets to 300+ soon.

Musically I think our Band sounds great. My friend and I decided last season to try and get in early for their pregame and stick around at halftime to watch...worth it.
Our band has the music and routines but just not the numbers ... yet. On-field product has 90% to do with it ... don’t forget the band are just diehard student fans too ... when the student section doesn’t show, that can be proportionate to the band. The Pep band went from about 18 people at the end of Eddie Jordan to over 100 signed up overall and would get 50-60+ at the big ten games (you are only required to go to so many games, between mens and women’s) ... don’t think for a second that the on-court product didn’t have something to do with that ... once Greg gets the ship turned around band membership (ie free ticket to the game and Bowl game travel) will skyrocket

Our band has the music and routines but just not the numbers ... yet. On-field product has 90% to do with it ... don’t forget the band are just diehard student fans too ... when the student section doesn’t show, that can be proportionate to the band. The Pep band went from about 18 people at the end of Eddie Jordan to over 100 signed up overall and would get 50-60+ at the big ten games (you are only required to go to so many games, between mens and women’s) ... don’t think for a second that the on-court product didn’t have something to do with that ... once Greg gets the ship turned around band membership (ie free ticket to the game and Bowl game travel) will skyrocket
That's good stuff on the numbers - didn't realize the increase was that dramatic for the pep band, but you could tell throughout the season. They are a big part of the home court advantage.

Seems to me that the "quirky bands" get spawned into being when the football is bad for an extended time. "Hey the football team sucks lets make a quirky band."

I think a unique thing about football, is that its a sport that pulls a lot of other non-playing people into it. Big bands, cheer squads, parent organizations - lots of football related things help school and community spirit/participation. I used to ignore bands, but now that I've seen so many of them vanish on the HS level, I appreciate them more. We used to hear them practicing/marching the day before games and it was always a lift. At things like bonfires and rallies they were really key. Its bad when they fall into a rut imo.

Seems to me that the "quirky bands" get spawned into being when the football is bad for an extended time. "Hey the football team sucks lets make a quirky band."

Stanford would seem to contradict that.

Actually that's been a hallmark of the Ivy League schools for a long, long time. Back before Rutgers went big time, they were similar to this and often competed with Princeton when we played them.
The Pep band went from about 18 people at the end of Eddie Jordan to over 100 signed up overall and would get 50-60+ at the big ten games (you are only required to go to so many games, between mens and women’s) ... don’t think for a second that the on-court product didn’t have something to do with that
Interesting, because during the 80's, in good times or bad, the Pep Band was capped between 40-50, with lots of alternates. Everyone had to try out. And you were expected to make it, if you were going to miss a block of games you'd be replaced. I suspect that the numbers dwindled due to Tim Smith's leadership, just as it did in the marching Band.
Our band has the music and routines but just not the numbers ... yet. On-field product has 90% to do with it ... don’t forget the band are just diehard student fans too ... when the student section doesn’t show, that can be proportionate to the band. ... once Greg gets the ship turned around band membership (ie free ticket to the game and Bowl game travel) will skyrocket
That's only part of it. We were ranked through 2006-2009 with a good on-field product, but still the numbers were poor. It all came down to leadership; Tim Smith alienated many band members who often didn't return after their freshman year. He also drove off a lot of talented assistants. He was the main reason the band atrophied during the 2000's and early 2010's.

Actually that's been a hallmark of the Ivy League schools for a long, long time. Back before Rutgers went big time, they were similar to this and often competed with Princeton when we played them.

Interesting, because during the 80's, in good times or bad, the Pep Band was capped between 40-50, with lots of alternates. Everyone had to try out. And you were expected to make it, if you were going to miss a block of games you'd be replaced. I suspect that the numbers dwindled due to Tim Smith's leadership, just as it did in the marching Band.

That's only part of it. We were ranked through 2006-2009 with a good on-field product, but still the numbers were poor. It all came down to leadership; Tim Smith alienated many band members who often didn't return after their freshman year. He also drove off a lot of talented assistants. He was the main reason the band atrophied during the 2000's and early 2010's.
As an Alum what have you heard on the new guy?

I like when we play the MEAC schools and they bring their bands. Those kids are amazing and bring a tremendous amount energy onto the field.

Reactions: RUforJERSEY

They were doing it when Dartmouth and Yale were ranked in the Top 20 D1.

Wokeness gone stupid is redundant...

They say in the article that the decision was made UNANIMOUSLY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY.

BULLS***

Stanford goes through periods where they are great - like the last 10 years and when Bill Walsh was coach. Most other time, Stanford football is terrible.

Cory Booker and Jonathan Holloway know about that

The band started heading for the margins in 1963 when a new band director decided to make the band "student run" in 1963. By 1970 they band members were dropping their pants on national TV

Last edited:
I haven't heard much as I'm quite removed at this point. The little I've heard is mixed. He's much better at dealing with people than his predecessor so his retention rate is better. However I've heard he hasn't been incredibly proactive in shaking things up and moving away from some of the unpalatable changes implemented by Smith. Again, this is all second and third hand, so I'm relying on what I've been told by other band alumni and those in the administration.

Longtime musician here. I graduated in 2018 (not a music major), so I was there for 2 years of Tim Smith and 2 years of Todd Nichols. Todd Nichols is the real deal and we are very very lucky to have him at Rutgers. I only hope that the posters on this board can attest to the musical improvements that the band has made. I think the main thing stopping the band from getting to the next level is interesting drill, which is directly dependent on numbers. Once Greg makes the team relevant and membership skyrockets past 300... I genuinely believe Ohio State’s band will be in for a rude awakening. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: ashokan and RUPete
ADVERTISEMENT