ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Comet Neowise

Will we win a NC in a major sport before Neowise returns ?
It would make a good prop bet. Probably never ending too.
My dad once said he wouldn't see them go to a bowl game, but I might. He watched them play for over 70 years and DID see a bowl game (GS) and 2 undefeated seasons. I guess he was ahead of the curve after all.

One local said he waited hours to get this

uHXUbNS.jpg
And visible during daylight. It's bright enough.

Reactions: ashokan
Finally saw the comet last night, took my telescope to a field at Hillsborough High School. There are some lights from the school, but it's a nice wide open area so you can see the whole sky, and it was darker than my Edison backyard until a van pulled up and parked with his headlights shining on me for about a half hour until I left. No idea what he was doing there.

Anyway, I wasn't able to see the comet at all with my naked eye, but I was able to see it with my telescope. Didn't need much magnification though, 30x was good so if you have binoculars, those should be sufficient too.

I also just learned about the Hawk Watch Area in Washington Valley Park in Bridgewater. I might check that place out next time I take my telescope on the road.

I just went out to look. There is a redish star to the south, and right away I saw a shooting star and then two UFO. They were moving and one became very bright and then faded. I am going back out with my camera to take pictures if I see any more.

I just went out to look. There is a redish star to the south, and right away I saw a shooting star and then two UFO. They were moving and one became very bright and then faded. I am going back out with my camera to take pictures if I see any more.
Probably some satellites. You can check www.stellarium-web.org to see what they were if you remember what time it was.

Reactions: Extra Point
Nothing. I think the two UFOs I saw were satellites. They were a little larger than other satellites that I have seen in the past.

Yup. And the reddish star was probably Aldebaran or Venus.
I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have been Venus if it was to the south, reddish, and visible at 3:15am. Due to Venus’s proximity to the sun it is visible roughly half the year in the eastern sky at sunrise, and the other half of the year in the western sky at sunset. It’s also very white. As for planets, red is typically either Mars or Jupiter.

At 3AM this morning Mars would have been low in the south-southeast quadrant of the night sky.

Reactions: Extra Point
My video didn't come out good I will try again tonight. It did pick up a couple of eastern screech owls calling, I didn't know what the sounds were at first.

I saw it from Allaire SP Friday, Big Brook CP yesterday & my street in Brielle tonight. Have to use binoculars or a telescope.
My friend saw it in LBI with the naked eye & took cell phone photos. Good luck!

Saturn has been super bright in the South... "around now – Saturn is more or less opposite the sun in Earth's sky, rising in the east around sunset, climbing highest up for the night around midnight and setting in the west around sunrise. When opposite the sun, Saturn is visible all night and at its brightest seen from Earth."

https://earthsky.org/tonight

"July 2020 offers you all 5 bright planets. Venus is that very bright object lighting the east before sunrise. After mid-July, find Mercury below Venus. Jupiter and Saturn are the planets to watch in July 2020. They are close together on the sky’s dome, and both reach opposition this month. Thus they’re at their best, up nearly all night, all month. Mars is looking very red now, steadily brightening, out between midnight and dawn."

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

Last edited:
Where is this view? It’s amazing. I saw the ISS at the beach last week but over the ocean. I’ve been trying to get a better view of NEOWISE too much light pollution I guess. This photo is amazing.

Croton NY - facing NW.

If I'm not mistaken, these are long-exposure photos and not representative of what you were able to see with your eyes, correct? Either way, they are awesome pictures!

If I'm not mistaken, these are long-exposure photos and not representative of what you were able to see with your eyes, correct? Either way, they are awesome pictures!

Its hard not to do some longer exposures because you get blur without longer shots on tripod etc. A lot of the photogs are pros and know how to tickle pics in Photoshop etc. Vanilla shots look like this..

ZIaeqHR.jpg

ZBQIkfC.jpg

UvjwJjf.jpg

Reactions: iReC89 and robcac26
Its hard not to do some longer exposures because you get blur without longer shots on tripod etc. A lot of the photogs are pros and know how to tickle pics in Photoshop etc. Vanilla shots look like this..
Photos are great! Thanks for posting

ZIaeqHR.jpg

ZBQIkfC.jpg

UvjwJjf.jpg

I saw it from Allaire SP Friday, Big Brook CP yesterday & my street in Brielle tonight. Have to use binoculars or a telescope.
My friend saw it in LBI with the naked eye & took cell phone photos. Good luck!

How was the viewing from Big Brook? I'm in middletown and would like to check it out but not sure best location. Any issues with getting into Big Brook after dark? Need binoculars? Is it worth the trip?

Drove to a dark area and found it with binoculars last night. Went home and found similar view practically under a street light lol. Knowing where to look helped a lot. Using the big dipper as a reference was more helpful then the skywalk app.

That was not the comet. The comet would be stationary in the sky, looking like a Star with a bit of a tail

What you saw might have been a fireball
Meteor, basically a meteor which crosses the sky more slowly than your typical shooting star, and often you can see sparks
Coming off of it.

I was fortunate to see a fireball in the mid 60’s

It was seen by millions and made the front page of the daily news, the theory being it burned out over Canada

Consider yourself lucky if you witnessed one, it is much more impressive than a comet, having seen them also

thanks for the explanation. It was more impressive than any other event I’ve ever seen.

good to know I’m not going crazy.

Reactions: GIB__RU
How was the viewing from Big Brook? I'm in middletown and would like to check it out but not sure best location. Any issues with getting into Big Brook after dark? Need binoculars? Is it worth the trip?
I went to Big Brook last night. No problem getting in. There was a fair amount of people and cars. One guy had a super bright headlamp that he was using to set up and also blind everyone.

The view is good enough, plus the comet will be higher as the week goes on. It's not super dark anywhere in Monmouth County. You will need binoculars.

Reactions: rcube1994
Yeah, found that out last night. Located the big dipper but couldn't find the comet. Tried with binoculars but to no avail. This thing is no Hale-Bopp which was clearly visible with naked eye
It was much brighter 3 weeks ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT