OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
I realize some may want this on the current events board but I'm pretty sure 90% of the people on this board go to the Jersey shore on a fairly regular basis and even use electricity in their homes, so felt it was important to get the word out so at the very least people are aware of how it will effect them. Phil Murphy has quietly auctioned off the entire coast of NJ to foreign wind farm companies and they have plans to build massive wind farms off the coast from Staten Island to Cape May. They will be visible on a clear day from the beach. For those of you thinking, oh great, its free electricity, think again. Everywhere these are used, the electricity bills skyrocket to 2x or 3x what people were paying. The first one being built is down here in South Jersey and when Ocean City attempted to fight back and say, you will not be running your cables through our beaches and our towns to the generator on land, Phil Murphy took away home rule across the entire state. It used to mean that towns had final say in what happens in their town, but now, that is no longer the case. The state decides what is best. Regardless of how you feel, its important to know the facts. Read the article linked below and look at the pictures where it shows the wind farms will be located. If you want more info there is a NJBPU virtual public hearing on the topic tonight at 7PM.

Here is a link to the article

ny-lease-area-high-bids-graphic___04112636224.jpg

My sister and brother both have homes in Cape May county. I will have to ask them what they think.

As just a shore visitor I don’t care.
For many of the conveniences we have there are infrastructure needs that have to be built.

Pipelines, high tension wires, landfills etc. They have to be built somewhere

My sister and brother texted me back. So far not overly concerned. They said not much discussion by them. They think it is more of an Ocean City issue.

They did say it would be important how far off the coast they are built.

T2K was all for pipelines and nuclear plants except when it was in his backyard. The windmill farms sound very similar. We need to generate as much energy as possible.
+1. We need to generate as much energy as possible so instead of drill baby drill it'll be build baby build. We all want to become energy independent and this is one way to help.

Everyone needs to make sacrifices to support green energy initiatives, especially those who voted for Murphy.

As long as these wind farms are not visible from the beaches of Manasquan we can all live with it.
Manasquan doesn't have dunes on the beach because the $$$ beachfront homeowners don't want their view affected. It's always NIMBYism.

Home rule is statutory and not codified in the New Jersey state constitution? Stupid if so.

Someone should calculate how far offshore the windmills need to be to not be visible given the curvature of the earth. The horizon for someone standing on the beach is about three miles but these WMs are what, 500 foot tall ?

My main question is who gets the lease payments and what are they going to do with it? I assume zero will be allocated to tax cuts.

My main question is who gets the lease payments and what are they going to do with it? I assume zero will be allocated to tax cuts.

Gov. Phil Murphy announced Thursday his administration will extend property tax relief to about 1.8 million New Jersey households by replacing the state’s Homestead Benefit program.

The tax relief initiative is part of the governor’s state budget proposal he is set to unveil during a speech at the Statehouse in Trenton on Tuesday.

Under the new program, New Jersey homeowners making up to $250,000 would be eligible to receive an average $700 rebate in the first year, and renters making up to $100,000 would be eligible for a rebate up to $250 to help offset the cost of rent increases due to property taxes.

My sister and brother texted me back. So far not overly concerned. They said not much discussion by them. They think it is more of an Ocean City issue.

They did say it would be important how far off the coast they are built.
it was an Ocean City issue until the latest news on Friday. Let them know its going to effect the entire coast of NJ

They will be
Why are windmills 15 miles offshore anymore undesirable than a lighthouse or a Ferris wheel that can be seen from the beach?

It’s not like they block my view of Europe

Up by the northern beaches you can look over and see NYC buildings

Is it that important to just look out and see a flat body of water

If it is it might help me add to my real estate portfolio of my $100k Alpine house with a deeply discounted shore home

Gov. Phil Murphy announced Thursday his administration will extend property tax relief to about 1.8 million New Jersey households by replacing the state’s Homestead Benefit program.

The tax relief initiative is part of the governor’s state budget proposal he is set to unveil during a speech at the Statehouse in Trenton on Tuesday.

Under the new program, New Jersey homeowners making up to $250,000 would be eligible to receive an average $700 rebate in the first year, and renters making up to $100,000 would be eligible for a rebate up to $250 to help offset the cost of rent increases due to property taxes.

No connection to the lease payments and announced before that. Partial tax cut from federal aid to states and partially just a shift from the Homestead Rebate.

Everyone needs to make sacrifices to support green energy initiatives, especially those who voted for Murphy.

As long as these wind farms are not visible from the beaches of Manasquan we can all live with it.
Windmills are stupid and will be old tech before these "farms" are built, which will likely never happen anyway.

T2K was all for pipelines and nuclear plants except when it was in his backyard. The windmill farms sound very similar. We need to generate as much energy as possible.
Stupid post. Texas East pipeline goes through my town and area. We supported the expansion of it last decade, which happened in 2015'ish. Princeton were the folks that whined about it.

Open up the tabs and drill! We need energy independence ASAP and this is the only option.

Why are windmills 15 miles offshore anymore undesirable than a lighthouse or a Ferris wheel that can be seen from the beach?

It’s not like they block my view of Europe

Up by the northern beaches you can look over and see NYC buildings

Is it that important to just look out and see a flat body of water

If it is it might help me add to my real estate portfolio of my $100k Alpine house with a deeply discounted shore home

Its not just about the view, that i can live with and would have no problem with them being built if that is all it was about. The problem is no one really knows how this effects the fishing industries, whale migrations, bird migrations, bird kills, but the real issue is increased electric bills. If you are paying $150 a month now for electric, plan on paying $300-$500

You are probably correct. That’s why we need a nuclear power plant between the mainland and barrier island
NJ has 3 nuke plants already. Just give them permission to expand and modernize these sites. Problem solved!

Bladeless wind tech is coming very quickly. No need for loud, hard to maintain windmills that kill wildlife.

Someone should calculate how far offshore the windmills need to be to not be visible given the curvature of the earth. The horizon for someone standing on the beach is about three miles but these WMs are what, 500 foot tall ?
I think I read somewhere that if you are standing on the beach it’s not that far as curvature will help eliminate from your view. But if you are on the top deck of your 2-3 story house trying to enjoy your ocean front views the distance you can see is quite a bit further and makes a significant impact.

I think I read somewhere that if you are standing on the beach it’s not that far as curvature will help eliminate from your view. But if you are on the top deck of your 2-3 story house trying to enjoy your ocean front views the distance you can see is quite a bit further and makes a significant impact.
True. It will block their perfect view of the long line of diesel powered car carriers carrying EVs steaming their way in from Germany.

Heard a great discussion about energy independence last week on a podcast. Average home solar install is $30k (same install is $5k in Australia, but why everything is more expensive here is a different conversation). Approximately 85 million standalone homes in the US. They could outfit every home in America with solar, create jobs for days, make us nearly energy independent and help the environment for the same price as the Build Back Better Plan. Wonder why we can't do something practical like this.

NJ has 3 nuke plants already. Just give them permission to expand and modernize these sites. Problem solved!

Bladeless wind tech is coming very quickly. No need for loud, hard to maintain windmills that kill wildlife.
Should use the best technology

Heard a great discussion about energy independence last week on a podcast. Average home solar install is $30k (same install is $5k in Australia, but why everything is more expensive here is a different conversation). Approximately 85 million standalone homes in the US. They could outfit every home in America with solar, create jobs for days, make us nearly energy independent and help the environment for the same price as the Build Back Better Plan. Wonder why we can't do something practical like this.
I actually looked into this for my house until I saw the price

I realize some may want this on the current events board but I'm pretty sure 90% of the people on this board go to the Jersey shore on a fairly regular basis and even use electricity in their homes, so felt it was important to get the word out so at the very least people are aware of how it will effect them. Phil Murphy has quietly auctioned off the entire coast of NJ to foreign wind farm companies and they have plans to build massive wind farms off the coast from Staten Island to Cape May. They will be visible on a clear day from the beach. For those of you thinking, oh great, its free electricity, think again. Everywhere these are used, the electricity bills skyrocket to 2x or 3x what people were paying. The first one being built is down here in South Jersey and when Ocean City attempted to fight back and say, you will not be running your cables through our beaches and our towns to the generator on land, Phil Murphy took away home rule across the entire state. It used to mean that towns had final say in what happens in their town, but now, that is no longer the case. The state decides what is best. Regardless of how you feel, its important to know the facts. Read the article linked below and look at the pictures where it shows the wind farms will be located. If you want more info there is a NJBPU virtual public hearing on the topic tonight at 7PM.

Here is a link to the article

ny-lease-area-high-bids-graphic___04112636224.jpg

LOL. NJ voted for it. Enjoy Phil's green energy virtue signaling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT