ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coming to a beach near you in NJ and NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a design being certified by the US NRC, isn't this promising? I would think this means they're getting close or is it just a pipe dream like fusion?

Well, having an approved design raises the chances of something getting built, someday, but it's by no means a foregone conclusion. Design approval is just a first step.

They should figure out how to leverage it.

And WTF aren't we all planting way more trees? Seems to me that planting tons more trees, of the right carbon-eating, oxygen-spewing sort, would be an awfully big help w/all this.
There is already a Worldwide project to plant one trillion trees. Trump gave some lip service to it and Biden as well. Sadly all I see in my town is people taking down tress because they dont want to rake leaves.

Reactions: mildone
There is already a Worldwide project to plant one trillion trees. Trump gave some lip service to it and Biden as well. Sadly all I see in my town is people taking down tress because they dont want to rake leaves.
I understand that.

Can evergreens serve as an adequate replacement for trees from hell that make me work all weekend long through the fall. Actually, the leaves never seem to go away and just pile up in sections of my yard even after we get rid of them.

Last edited:
I understand that.

Can evergreens serve as an adequate replacement for trees from hell that make me work all weekend long through the fall. Exactly the leaves never seem to go away and just pile up in sections of my yard even after we get rid of them

Evergreen trees are less effective carbon sinks than deciduous trees, because they keep their leaves instead of shedding them to the forest floor.

Maybe Elon Musk can take 0.0001% of his net worth and donate the funds to plant a trillion new trees. Then, assuming he doesn't turn it into a profit-making venture, the Teslerati will actually have something valid to point to that he's done to save the planet.

Be a big win for the planet, Musk, and the Teslerati.

Make it so.

I understand that.

Can evergreens serve as an adequate replacement for trees from hell that make me work all weekend long through the fall. Actually, the leaves never seem to go away and just pile up in sections of my yard even after we get rid of them.
I just leave the leaves where they fall. (That was really fun to write.)

Although, someone, either my yard service or my kid, appears to have cleaned them up this year when I wasn't looking. I don't think I got billed for it, although I don't pay very close attention so maybe I did.

But probably it was my kid, that brat. I'd beat him for his insolence if I thought I could win the resulting fight.

I just leave the leaves where they fall. (That was really fun to write.)

Although, someone, either my yard service or my kid, appears to have cleaned them up this year when I wasn't looking. I don't think I got billed for it, although I don't pay very close attention so maybe I did.

But probably it was my kid, that brat. I'd beat him for his insolence if I thought I could win the resulting fight.
I have a wife.

Well, having an approved design raises the chances of something getting built, someday, but it's by no means a foregone conclusion. Design approval is just a first step.

If it doesn't happen, then we need to build more of the old fashion ones. Wind and solar aren't going to meet our needs.

Maybe Elon Musk can take 0.0001% of his net worth and donate the funds to plant a trillion new trees. Then, assuming he doesn't turn it into a profit-making venture, the Teslerati will actually have something valid to point to that he's done to save the planet.

Be a big win for the planet, Musk, and the Teslerati.

Make it so.

or just have everyone plant a tree or two in their yard

Reactions: mildone
or just have everyone plant a tree or two in their yard
My neighbor cut a bunch down in his yard and approached me about cutting some down where they are more or less on top of our shared property line. I declined. He wasn't super pleased, but I like trees in general, and the shade these in particular provide.

He passed away from a very quick and nasty cancer recently. Which sucked 'cause he was a really good guy and neighbor. Had he stuck around a bit longer, he could've had the last laugh since comic irony is destined to ensure that one or both trees will fall in a storm and crush my garage or parts of my house or both. When that happens, I'll have a glass of Scotch and toast his memory.

Reactions: newell138
My neighbor cut a bunch down in his yard and approached me about cutting some down where they are more or less on top of our shared property line. I declined. He wasn't super pleased, but I like trees in general, and the shade these in particular provide.

He passed away from a very quick and nasty cancer recently. Which sucked 'cause he was a really good guy and neighbor. Had he stuck around a bit longer, he could've had the last laugh since comic irony is destined to ensure that one or both trees will fall in a storm and crush my garage or parts of my house or both. When that happens, I'll have a glass of Scotch and toast his memory.

The house next door used to have a sickly looking oak that was a few feet from our property line, maybe 30' tall and would shade half my pool once 2:00 or so rolled around. Every storm, it would drop a limb. I must have asked the guy half a dozen times to cut the damn thing down and each time his wife pitched a fit.

She got sick, he sold the house and a new, young couple moved in.

The first conversation with the new guy was over that fence and the very first thing he said to me was, "I hope you don't mind, but I'm cutting this f*ckin' tree down. It looks like shit and it's all over your pool."

The house next door used to have a sickly looking oak that was a few feet from our property line, maybe 30' tall and would shade half my pool once 2:00 or so rolled around. Every storm, it would drop a limb. I must have asked the guy half a dozen times to cut the damn thing down and each time his wife pitched a fit.

She got sick, he sold the house and a new, young couple moved in.

The first conversation with the new guy was over that fence and the very first thing he said to me was, "I hope you don't mind, but I'm cutting this f*ckin' tree down. It looks like shit and it's all over your pool."
Once they start dying, cut 'em down 'cause no good will come of leaving 'em up. Trees too.

Not in my backyard!!!

First - lol @ SAD Faux News for "Biden Supporter!!"

Second - lol @ you for being such a pathetic c*nt that the first thing actually means something to you.

Third - High-profile NBA players are, themselves, among the biggest c*nts on the planet, right behind you. Somebody should just burn Curry's house down, then he won't be so worried about his property values - since he's not the least bit worried about the welfare of his community.

First - lol @ SAD Faux News for "Biden Supporter!!"

Second - lol @ you for being such a pathetic c*nt that the first thing actually means something to you.

Third - High-profile NBA players are, themselves, among the biggest c*nts on the planet, right behind you. Somebody should just burn Curry's house down, then he won't be so worried about his property values - since he's not the least bit worried about the welfare of his community.
You are getting angrier as you age. BTW, the Brick House in S'ville finally closed. The family who owned for 50-60 years sold to another S'ville restaurant owner. Too bad.

You are getting angrier as you age. BTW, the Brick House in S'ville finally closed. The family who owned for 50-60 years sold to another S'ville restaurant owner. Too bad.

I'm not angry. I'm just intolerant of assholes. IMO that's a good quality to have.

And it was never "Brick House" to anyone who mattered. Once it ceased to be "Wally's" it was dead to the town.

I'm not angry. I'm just intolerant of assholes. IMO that's a good quality to have.

And it was never "Brick House" to anyone who mattered. Once it ceased to be "Wally's" it was dead to the town.

Advocating arson = intolerance

Interesting concept.

I think people who accuse others of being angry on the internet are mostly projecting their anger onto others. To me, you didn't sound remotely angry. Sounded like a pretty good-natured and humorous post about how you feel about assholes.

Maybe T's just frightened of "bad" words? Or offended by your intolerance of assholes?

Reactions: knightfan7
Advocating arson = intolerance

Interesting concept.
C'mon now. It would've obviously been a kinder, gentler sort of arson. The type where you drop leaflets in advance that warn the occupants to exit the dwelling. You know, so they won't be harmed by the incendiary munitions.

C'mon now. It would've obviously been a kinder, gentler sort of arson. The type where you drop leaflets in advance that warn the occupants to exit the dwelling. You know, so they won't be harmed by the incendiary munitions.

Don't you mean "mostly peaceful arson"?

Don't you mean "mostly peaceful arson"?
I'm all about consensus building, so how about "kinder, gentler, mostly peaceful arson"?

Of course, this is exactly how we get a tax code that is a quadrillion pages long. 😃

Name 'Frank Rizzo' ring a bell?
I had never heard of him. So I looked him. And, well, damn. LOL

A couple excerpts from Wikipedia:

He attempted to vote in a charter change to allow him to attempt a run for reelection but was soundly defeated after urging supporters to "Vote white", which he later admitted was "a poor choice of words".

Before, during, and after his tenure as police commissioner, the Philadelphia police department engaged in patterns of police brutality, intimidation, coercion, and disregard for constitutional rights, in particular toward the black community.

A poor choice of words. Ya think? 🤣

Ooh! Another gem from wiki about him:

"Of one group of anti-police demonstrators, he is reported to have said, 'When I'm finished with them, I'll make Attila the Hun look like a faqqot.'"

A real man of the people, he was. Radiating peace and love to all. 🤣

Ooh! Another gem from wiki about him:

"Of one group of anti-police demonstrators, he is reported to have said, 'When I'm finished with them, I'll make Attila the Hun look like a faqqot.'"

A real man of the people, he was. Radiating peace and love to all. 🤣

The guy had a personal police force. The "Philadelphia Highway Patrol" had full run of the city and reported directly to him.

The guy had a personal police force. The "Philadelphia Highway Patrol" had full run of the city and reported directly to him.
Why can't I have a personal police force? I would persecute people like him who actually deserve some police brutality.

Of course, this is exactly how we get a tax code that is a quadrillion pages long. 😃

Easily solved. Require all members of congress to prepare their own returns using only a calculator and the IRS forms and instructions.

Easily solved. Require all members of congress to prepare their own returns using only a calculator and the IRS forms and instructions.
That might work except these are politicians - so they'll find a way to cheat.

Or am I being too cynical? 🙂

But then they wouldn't appropriate billions to hire more auditors.
I'm okay with them hiring more auditors. I don't cheat on my taxes so I'm okay with the IRS going after people who do cheat on their taxes. Pulling in all the taxes owed might save me from having my tax rate go up (yeah, I know, fat chance).

I should be surprised (but I am not) that people do not realize the bulk of IRS agents being hired are to try to stop the business who withhold social security and federal income tax from their employees' paychecks and never send the money in.

Do people really think it's okay for the employer to just keep that money?

I should be surprised (but I am not) that people do not realize the bulk of IRS agents being hired are to try to stop the business who withhold social security and federal income tax from their employees' paychecks and never send the money in.

The answer to your question is complicated. If it's my business, then yes, I think it's okay. For everybody else's business, then no, that's terrible and they should be punished.

They file payroll tax returns and don't remit payment? Enforcement should be easy. Or are you saying all independent contractors are in reality employees? I'll dispute that one., particularly such a blanket categorization.

They file payroll tax returns and don't remit payment? Enforcement should be easy. Or are you saying all independent contractors are in reality employees? I'll dispute that one., particularly such a blanket categorization.
While I worked for OMB I was in the same building and friends with the people from Taxation. Your assumption that businesses all file payroll tax returns is so wrong it shows you do not have an understanding of what actually goes on.
And I am not discussing independent contractors.

The amount of dollars that is not paid from sales tax and income tax is huge. In fact, the 4th largest source of revenue the State receives is the collections made by auditors and investigators from businesses that failed to report as required.

But we should get rid of the IRS and institute a 30% federal sales tax.

While I worked for OMB I was in the same building and friends with the people from Taxation. Your assumption that businesses all file payroll tax returns is so wrong it shows you do not have an understanding of what actually goes on.
And I am not discussing independent contractors.

The amount of dollars that is not paid from sales tax and income tax is huge. In fact, the 4th largest source of revenue the State receives is the collections made by auditors and investigators from businesses that failed to report as required.

But we should get rid of the IRS and institute a 30% federal sales tax.

Are you talking "off the books"? Then I do.

And a 30% federal sales tax is madness, and something that I have never mentioned or advocated for.

Are you talking "off the books"? Then I do.

And a 30% federal sales tax is madness, and something that I have never mentioned or advocated for.
I never said you did.

And no I am not talking about off the book companies. I am talking about companies who do not follow the requirements to file taxes as they should. There are thousands of them.

And if you think there is a significant number of them prosecuted you are very wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT