ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Costco bargains guidance?

Is buying another freezer and storing excess food and using the electric power to run the appliance a real savings ? Adding in the membership fees ?

Freezer burn throw outs ?

Just asking, I don't go shopping. Those wanting to know how Mary Anne doesn't send me out for milk/eggs/toilet paper ? I would buy cans of Crab meat, cans of sardines, hagan daz (sp) ice cream. A 5 dollar trip would go up to 50 or more. (I actually like crab meat, sardines and ice cream, just not at the same time.)

Most chest freezers can operate for less than $30 a year, couple that with $60 for the membership, it's really peanuts to get some great deals.

Found two big advantages of Costco membership, aside from the typical in-store stuff as mentioned in the rest of the thread.

1. Used them to buy a central AC unit in our house 18 months ago when ours quit. It was the best price by $500 AND we got a 10% Costco credit rebate in addition to our usual 2% for annual purchases. That tacked on almost another $500 savings.

2. Used their online service to buy a car. Any car you want, via online they'll direct you to a dealership which works with them. The dealership is REQUIRED to give you every available discount/dealer incentive--it's in writing and is copied back to Costco. On top of that, there was a 2.5% discount on the price as well. No need to haggle. Couldn't have been easier.

Except the Costco chicken is an enormous bird at most being 5 1/2lbs, while most grocery store rotisserie chickens are around 3lbs.

so read this (@theRU you'll like it). Friend of mine mentioned this last night. THIS is why Costco went into the Chicken Supply business. Chicken's being raised too big these days and not fitting into their roasters.

Found two big advantages of Costco membership, aside from the typical in-store stuff as mentioned in the rest of the thread.

1. Used them to buy a central AC unit in our house 18 months ago when ours quit. It was the best price by $500 AND we got a 10% Costco credit rebate in addition to our usual 2% for annual purchases. That tacked on almost another $500 savings.

2. Used their online service to buy a car. Any car you want, via online they'll direct you to a dealership which works with them. The dealership is REQUIRED to give you every available discount/dealer incentive--it's in writing and is copied back to Costco. On top of that, there was a 2.5% discount on the price as well. No need to haggle. Couldn't have been easier.

another. Tires. Always something on sale for $80 off a set of 4 and every now and again also get $.01 installation. You may even get free re-balance for life of tire as long as you maintain membership.

Thanks for that info. Always wonder about the subcontractors using the brand equity of the big chain. Doesn’t always work out so well at HD and Lowes. Sounds like you were satisfied a with the company that came out and did the work.

Thanks for that info. Always wonder about the subcontractors using the brand equity of the big chain. Doesn’t always work out so well at HD and Lowes. Sounds like you were satisfied a with the company that came out and did the work.
Costco makes them jump thru hoops before they let them use their name.

And you get the Costco guarantee along with the product/contractor.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Costco makes them jump thru hoops before they let them use their name.

And you get the Costco guarantee along with the product/contractor.

again I can tell you from personal experience sitting in the conference room with all of them....customers like Wal-Mart and other Big Box stores put everything into price and companies cut corners and even make lessor goods to get there for them. Costco cares about price too but on the VALUE side when compared to their competition (i.e price per once, per piece, etc) AND they will NOT except anything but the best quality too.

so read this (@theRU you'll like it). Friend of mine mentioned this last night. THIS is why Costco went into the Chicken Supply business. Chicken's being raised too big these days and not fitting into their roasters.

Thanks. I'm in the food biz so I've been watching their vertical integration on this one very closely. From industry insiders the size thing was less of a driver, they really wanted to get out from under Tyson/Perdue and have better control of their costs. They lose money on every rotisserie sold.

We also used this service 2 months ago to buy our new car. Everything was so easy, and the price was better than any other dealer we visited. Next time we'll just skip straight to Costco.

Over the holidays, I picked up a 1.75L Kirkland Irish Cream for $17.99. It was sitting next to a 750ml Bailey's for 24.99. I had heard it was just as good if not better than Bailey's and I have to agree. Last year I tried Trader Joe's Irish Cream as a cheaper alternative and it was undrinkable.

We always pick up Milk and especially Half and Half when we go because it's so much cheaper, and as allergy sufferers, the generic Zyrtec and Claritin are something like $15 for 365 tablets.

Thanks. I'm in the food biz so I've been watching their vertical integration on this one very closely. From industry insiders the size thing was less of a driver, they really wanted to get out from under Tyson/Perdue and have better control of their costs. They lose money on every rotisserie sold.
What is your background? My 35 years were 8 at Pesico and 27 at Kraft/Mondelez in sales mgt and corp. Planning.

Loved working with the production , engineers, and supply chain folks on project teams. My son just got his Masters in SC.
I like it.. it's a great field in terms of stability. You probably aren't going to retire at 50 but you can have a very long rewarding career.

Have a hard time seeing computers, and Ai obsoleting supply chain functions. People will still need to negotiate supply agreements

Installers of the AC unit were neat and clean. They used a HVAC company based in Middletown, I believe. Nothing shady about them. Quality work. They know if you mess with Costco, they'll cut you off.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Installers of the AC unit were neat and clean. They used a HVAC company based in Middletown, I believe. Nothing shady about them. Quality work. They know if you mess with Costco, they'll cut you off.
That’s what the generator guy said to me when we got an estimate. His outfit was also in Monmouth County.

As someone mentioned, allergy medications. When spring comes, we stock up on the 50 pack of kid's Calritin for my youngest daughter because it's about 40-45 cents a tablet. Buying a year's supply at a time saves us significant money from when she needs it but it isn't on sale.

That’s what the generator guy said to me when we got an estimate. His outfit was also in Monmouth County.

Same when I had my flooring done. It was SmartCarpet who did the estimate, and a local (Monmouth County) flooring company that installed my wood floors. Plus I got a 10% Costco Cash Card.

Pre cooked bag of crumbled bacon. Done full stop a membership is worth just for this product.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Car leasing or just buying ?

Sounds like I'll be giving out Memberships to my 3 Sons as gifts.

Wayne Costco has booze. Imported Kirkland vodka is reportedly made in the same factory as Grey Goose. Some think the domestic Kirkland vodka is Tito's. Either way, both are really good at less than half the cost for a handle.

Look at the liquor bottle Cant be coincidence they are shaped like big brands. My guess is they buy late batches or lesser aged product from big name distilleries. Tequila is a good buy also

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I saw a TV story awhile ago that said the woman at Costco that buys the wine is the most powerful person in wine in the country. Bigger than Mondavi, etc.

Went to Costco on Saturday... besides the individual packets of hummus (Thanks.. my kids and wife love them), I also got the Chipoltle bowls. Surprisingly good. I am not a "plant based protein" guy (I will not eat an Impossible Whopper), but they are good. A lot spicier than I was expecting.

It sucks anyone can get gas at Costco in New Jersey at the discount price and we pay an annual Costco membership fee. When we travel to other states and get gas they always ask for our Costco membership card and they verify it is active. Must be a NJ law where you can’t require memberships for discounted gas prices.

There is a NJ law that says gas has to be available to everyone.

None up here near me, west of West Point....according to Mary Anne but when we were in Manasquan she would go to the one in Brick, it she wanted to fight the local traffic....

Do you know anyone who has used their pre-owned car service? Need a car for my teenager.

Pet Peeve about Costco Customers. Folks who abandon their carts in the middle if the aisle, blocking traffic, so they can walk over for a free half cookie sample!

Do you know anyone who has used their pre-owned car service? Need a car for my teenager.
Haven't used it, but by reputation, I'd think it pretty reliable. Worth cost-comparing at the very least.
My Mom and Dad did. Got a (wait for it...) Honda Accord. LOL

The car and the whole process was very easy and they would do it again.

Reactions: UMRU
I buy pre-picked rotisserie chicken in vacuum sealed bags at Costco.
II do a low-carb diet, and I make a simple chicken salad (chicken, mayo, salt & pepper) with this which is a staple for me.

also love the large blocks of Cabot and Kerry Gold (Dubliner) cheese.

Also have purchased several TV's at costco.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT