ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Court- lawyer advice

Is there an ounce of civic duty in you? Would you have been a draft dodger during WWII? Vietnam? Being a citizen can be uncomfortable. What's your patented excuse for jury duty? I knew guys paint their balls pink for the induction center in Newark 1967. Bad war? Questionable citizens. Find out the risible issue. Be a citizen. There is a responsibility to being American.

• Wow
Reactions: Bagarocks
I have been involved in the treatment off and on of a patient for about 5 or 6 years.
He got himself into a jam and somehow I am being dragged into it. I do not even know the specific nature of the jam since nobody has revealed the specifics to me. But he has a public defender who has been contacting me and recently told me they want me in NB to testify about his treatment. This is a parole violation hearing and again I'm not even sure what was violated. I already sent my records to them and had conversations on the phone.
I do not know if he murdered someone or if he's been arrested for selling kilos of cocaine to kids. I offered to do testimony on zoom but prosecutor wants me live in person. I'm putting up roadblocks because I don't want to take the time and energy to go there and I don't even know what this is all about. Any advice on how i can get out of going there live ? Should I force them to subpoena me? Why would the public defender want me there as a potentially pissed off witness?
If you are a doctor hire a lawyer you cheap bastard and stop F ing around.

Sage advice
Good grasp of the issue
Dude, I am not the one coming to a sports oriented Internet forum looking for advice on how to handle a legal issue potentially something serious, where you admit you do not have much information or why you are Even being Requested. Nobody wants to spend $$$ for a scum bag lawyer but it’s either that or you may be getting set up to be dragged in even further.
because we live in a liberal controlled state nothing works like courtroom dramas on TV. Everything is a play to achieve “social Justice” and leveling the field.
hire an attorney and make sure your rights and money are protected.

this is correct because I'm being called as an expert witness but because it's a public defender then they don't have to pay me but they can compel me to give testimony on the side of the defendant for free even though I don't have anything to do with the defendants crimes and problems which predate me.I have already made the connections and contacted the judge through a mutual friend but the public defender's being a jerk about having me appear by video or zoom so I'm going to get somebody to file a motion to quash it.
Imagine that, that lowlifes have more rights than regular people in NJ! Say it ain’t so!

Is there an ounce of civic duty in you? Would you have been a draft dodger during WWII? Vietnam? Being a citizen can be uncomfortable. What's your patented excuse for jury duty? I knew guys paint their balls pink for the induction center in Newark 1967. Bad war? Questionable citizens. Find out the risible issue. Be a citizen. There is a responsibility to being American.

This has nothing to do with civic duty. Does the public defender work for free? An expert witness is supposed to be paid. There is no reason this should be an exception.

how does one explain why their testimony is not relevant though if they (per fubar's note) can't or are not allowed to know what the case is even about?
because knowing the charges in the case is not relevant to the witness, in general. Clearly, this gentleman know what type of "illness", used loosely, this defendant has and therefore knows that the testimony would be related to the illness and treatment and current condition. It is the job of the public defender to tie this info to the defense of the crime. Put another way, the testimony would not be different for crime A or crime B.

Thanks again for this advice because my lawyer who I'm sure you know just filed a motion to quash but he said it could be difficult because it's a public defender driving the case for the defendant. The lawyers wife who represents the quash for me is close with the judge and herself a Rutgers professor who spends a lot of time dealing with drug court and addiction cases.
She's pretty pissed off that they're dragging me into this because I do a lot of work for Woodbridge township and help her out all out with her clients who are less than the righteous characters of society.
Good luck.

Reactions: RUfubar
been subpoenaed many times--if I had to testify about a client we demanded a subpoena--but if your job is such that you can be called as an expert witness you should have already had a counsel on your "payroll"--asking a fb message board advice is silly and dangerous--get professional advice
I thought this was the go to site for any type of expert advice outside of football?

• Haha
Good luck.
It turns out that the reason for live testimony is because the prosecutor wants to be able to cross-examine live instead of zoom so at least I got a particular explanation that makes some semblance of sense.

been subpoenaed many times--if I had to testify about a client we demanded a subpoena--but if your job is such that you can be called as an expert witness you should have already had a counsel on your "payroll"--asking a fb message board advice is silly and dangerous--get professional advice
It turns out that I got some excellent advice from the lawyers on this post. Silly ? Ok. Dangerous ? Because the public defender gets to use me for free? Ok
Steered me in the right direction and I don't have lawyers on my payroll or often provide expert testimony. In fact with covid , I barely have a payroll anymore.

Reactions: Greg2020 and Jm0513
It turns out that I got some excellent advice from the lawyers on this post. Silly ? Ok. Dangerous ? Because the public defender gets to use me for free? Ok
Steered me in the right direction and I don't have lawyers on my payroll or often provide expert testimony. In fact with covid , I barely have a payroll anymore.
And that is what a board like this is all about. You never know who on the board has experience in an area you're asking about. Yes, you don't take their word as gospel, but the advice can be very useful and point you in the right direction. I've moderated 2 other boards that have had a large enough population where this is the case. You can search all you want online via Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, etc., but nothing beats advice from someone with experience.

Reactions: Jm0513 and RUfubar
Like someone who violates Board Rule #3?

No attacking other posters. If you feel the need to harass another poster, don't do it. What is considered attacking other posters?
  • Bringing up their name in posts that they did not start or were not involved in, just to get a reaction from them.

Perhaps you two should be known as Formerly?

Under which of his several burner/banned handles?

Reactions: Greg2020
Silly and dangerous because if you are a responsible professional you should know what to do in the first place and even listening to people on a message board or actually taking advice from who knows who is a disaster waiting to happen

By the way those who say they can help and are sincere but who really don't know all the facts or details are equally dangerous

By the way those who say they can help and are sincere but who really don't know all the facts or details are equally dangerous
Excellent advice !
Thanks that's very helpful and I'll keep that in mind for next time. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Excellent advice !
Thanks that's very helpful and I'll keep that in mind for next time. Lesson learned.
Weeding out the good advice from the bad is something most have to do anytime we ask questions.
But as Spanky pointed out : that is what a board like this is all about. You never know who on the board has experience in an area you're asking about. Yes, you don't take their word as gospel, but the advice can be very useful and point you in the right direction. "
which I tend to believe is a relevant statement in your case and good advice on the replies you receive in this thread

Weeding out the good advice from the bad is something most have to do anytime we ask questions.
But as Spanky pointed out : that is what a board like this is all about. You never know who on the board has experience in an area you're asking about. Yes, you don't take their word as gospel, but the advice can be very useful and point you in the right direction. "
which I tend to believe is a relevant statement in your case and good advice on the replies you receive in this thread
I could hope that you would pick up on the "I see what you did there" in my response to ru66.

ADVERTISEMENT