ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

the post was NewWAVE DAVE not me. I was wondering what you were talking about.
Really?
The Food Supply Chain Is Breaking

Florida isn't really doing well at all, btw. It just had two of its highest days back to back and has a steady rise going back 2 months.

Who knew your fake news schtick would be so hard?

Reactions: Greg2020
Florida does not have everything shut down like California and do you really want me to embarrass you by showing the comparisons again

Epiz8r1UcAAEV4a

Reactions: King of S
Florida does not have everything shut down like California and do you really want me to embarrass you by showing the comparisons again

What?!

You straight out said Florida has its cases under control, ignoring the reality in which Florida has had back-to-back days of very high cases ....TODAY!

You're fake news. Excuse yourself from further Covid discussions.

But isn't that because people mostly ignored the rules and met with their family and friends for Thanksgiving despite the urging not to?

The answer is yes. The recent spread is largely attributable to indoor, mask-less, non-social distanced gatherings. In other words, people failed to adhere to public health protocols. They may wear a mask while in public, but failure to listen to health officials on other public health measures can’t simply be ignored. I realize you understand all of this, and it is tiresome that despite explaining it countless times, certain posters continue to ignore it and post the same information that doesn’t prove their case.

The other item that should be addressed is whether masks should continue to be worn until a critical mass of people are vaccinated. The answer is, of course, yes, since we are not certain vaccines prevent the spread. Why don’t we know that? Because we’ve developed multiple vaccines faster than at any time in history, and focus was on whether the vaccine protected a person from becoming ill and was safe. Want it fast? Well, then there isn’t time to address the “spread” question. Again, I realize you know this, but certain posters express outrage, and a lack of gratitude and understanding, of the vaccine production process in this instance.

The answer is yes. The recent spread is largely attributable to indoor, mask-less, non-social distanced gatherings. In other words, people failed to adhere to public health protocols. They may wear a mask while in public, but failure to listen to health officials on other public health measures can’t simply be ignored. I realize you understand all of this, and it is tiresome that despite explaining it countless times, certain posters continue to ignore it and post the same information that doesn’t prove their case.

The other item that should be addressed is whether masks should continue to be worn until a critical mass of people are vaccinated. The answer is, of course, yes, since we are not certain vaccines prevent the spread. Why don’t we know that? Because we’ve developed multiple vaccines faster than at any time in history, and focus was on whether the vaccine protected a person from becoming ill and was safe. Want it fast? Well, then there isn’t time to address the “spread” question. Again, I realize you know this, but certain posters express outrage, and a lack of gratitude and understanding, of the vaccine production process in this instance.

they also dont know about long terms effects about this vaccine either but apparently that does not matter anymore

Reactions: Jm0513
What?!

You straight out said Florida has its cases under control, ignoring the reality in which Florida has had back-to-back days of very high cases ....TODAY!

You're fake news. Excuse yourself from further Covid discussions.

again you seem to miss the point, its not necessarily Florida is handling it better in terms of avoiding Covid cases, its to show you that masks, no mask, lockdown, no lockdown it doesnt make a difference to covid. They are doing better in that they didnt tank their economy as much as other plus they are permanently closing business like California is effectively doing

again you seem to miss the point, its not necessarily Florida is handling it better in terms of avoiding Covid cases, its to show you that masks, no mask, lockdown, no lockdown it doesnt make a difference to covid. They are doing better in that they didnt tank their economy as much as other plus they are permanently closing business like California is effectively doing

Yeah, except that's completely false.

lol huh...where is this nationwide surge since thankgiving..hey its not nationwide is it
I like how people use the word rules like we are supposed to follow them. Rules were made to be broken as I have done with these crack pot rules many times. Gettysburg...my family and friends broke them when we had about 25 people at a party drinking and eating , Thanksgiving ... we had members of four households at the dinner table , vacation in LBI this summer .... broken when our friends let us enter their store with no mask AND WE DID . AND no one got the virus at any of the events. AHHHHHHH freedom.

Reactions: bac2therac
States complaining about reduction of promised vaccines of up to 40%. Per NBC Nightly News.

Yes, negotiations on that are ongoing and would bring the total from Pfizer and Moderna to 400MM total doses for 200MM total people by the end of 2Q21 (if not sooner), which is enough for 74% of eligible adults (children are not approved to get the vaccine, at least not yet) - and as per below, maybe we can even get close to 90% given the "extra" vaccines per vial.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12/15/world/covid-19-coronavirus

The other interesting tidbit is that they're "finding" 1-2 "extra" doses in most Pfizer vaccine vials, which are filled to provide at least 5 doses - they overfill slightly to ensure that and a little bit of overfill goes a long way when a single dose is 0.3 milliliters or 300 microliters (a drop of water is about 50 microliters). That could mean 20-40% more doses per vial, which is very good news.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...-hold-some-extra-doses-experts-say-s-n1251548
+1
Vials almost always have extra liquid.....on purpose. The pharmacists and nurses just need to be careful and prevent wastage.

Reactions: RU848789
I didn’t complain about any one specific entity or another. I complain about policy that has no scientific basis. I complain government deciding what businesses can be open on a whim. Never ever taking into account how these decisions ruin peoples lives. With zero science behind the decisions.
Plenty of science behind what's considered low vs. high risk, but it's imperfect science, since it's inferential, as conducting controlled transmission experiments to get "perfect" data is obviously unethical, as I've posted countless times - you just happen to not either understand it or believe it. Although I agree there are inconsistencies which can be frustrating.

I’m in So FL right now. Business as usual. Most wear masks. Indoor eating allowed with limited restrictions (severs, etc wear masks). Barber shops don’t require guests to wear masks. Very different rules here.

Better hope people are not listening to Tucker Carlson and his alarmist rant about the vaccine, highlighting the ONE case of anaphylactic shock in a health care worker in Alaska (who responded immediately to standard treatment) among tens of thousands of immunizations. If we don't get 70-80% of people vaccinated, and the virus is still circulating come September, you better believe there will be safety protocols still in place for attendance at football games and, later and especially, for basketball/volleyball/wrestling and other indoor sports, and those protocols will be set by the B1G and/or universities to keep their students, athletes, coaches, faculty and other personnel safe. If we want to see a normal football and basketball season in 2021, that's what has to happen. One season revenue lost is bad enough, two will be financially devastating.

Better hope people are not listening to Tucker Carlson and his alarmist rant about the vaccine, highlighting the ONE case of anaphylactic shock in a health care worker in Alaska (who responded immediately to standard treatment) among tens of thousands of immunizations. If we don't get 70-80% of people vaccinated, and the virus is still circulating come September, you better believe there will be safety protocols still in place for attendance at football games and, later and especially, for basketball/volleyball/wrestling and other indoor sports, and those protocols will be set by the B1G and/or universities to keep their students, athletes, coaches, faculty and other personnel safe. If we want to see a normal football and basketball season in 2021, that's what has to happen. One season revenue lost is bad enough, two will be financially devastating.
Yes, but I'm confident vaccine requirements for all kinds of things (which some will not like, but we require them for schools and some other things) will lead to high vaccination rates...

I’m in So FL right now. Business as usual. Most wear masks. Indoor eating allowed with limited restrictions (severs, etc wear masks). Barber shops don’t require guests to wear masks. Very different rules here.

how are the gyms? masks required or not? How long were they closed if closed....masks in my gym and pretty much 90% courteous and no know infections....havent heard of any cases traced to gyms in NJ

how about we wait until some long term studys are done on effects of the vaccine. If a young person is extremely minute risk of covid harm by contracting then if they are skeptical of a vaccine that could have more effect on them then the virus then maybe you should respect their choice

Plenty of science behind what's considered low vs. high risk, but it's imperfect science, since it's inferential, as conducting controlled transmission experiments to get "perfect" data is obviously unethical, as I've posted countless times - you just happen to not either understand it or believe it. Although I agree there are inconsistencies which can be frustrating.

werent you saying that gyms are high risk spread or am I confusing with someone else early on that was fear mongering

People act like Florida is a free for all and no one wears masks or anything. I was down in Southwest Florida a few weeks just recently and it’s no different from here. You can’t go in a store there in the county I was in without a mask. Costco literally hands you one at the door if you want. Never saw that in a NJ Costco.
Restaurants and bars aren’t chock full of people just doing whatever. Many people I encountered walking to the beach on the paths actually wearing masks.
Lot of people speaking out their behinds here about what they see in other places while hiding under their beds.

Ok you wait for the long term "studys" - meanwhile if a vaccine ID card or masks are required for admission to the RAC or the stadium, be my guest to stay outside and party with your anti-vax and anti-mask bros.

As far as the current surge goes, pretty sure it's driven by all those people who said "follow the CDC guidelines for Thanksgiving - LOL" or the 4 million people who traveled despite recommendations to stay home. For all those who proclaimed that they gathered with people outside their households for Thanksgiving and "nothing happened" there were probably hundreds more for whom something DID happen. And that happened in pockets across the country, from states that basically followed guidelines to those that didn't. You can't make blanket statements about states because the anti-protocol followers are everywhere throughout the US, and followers are also everywhere including Florida, California etc.

Have your "personal freedom" but if the virus is still circulating due to vaccine resistance, then expect to pay the price when it come to attending football and basketball games in 2021.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Greg2020
how about we wait until some long term studys are done on effects of the vaccine. If a young person is extremely minute risk of covid harm by contracting then if they are skeptical of a vaccine that could have more effect on them then the virus then maybe you should respect their choice

Yeah let’s wait 5 years before we start distributing a vaccine. Good strategy.

Have your "personal freedom" but if the virus is still circulating due to vaccine resistance, then expect to pay the price when it come to attending football and basketball games in 2021.

or maybe we live with it and protect the vulnerable...as long as the people who want the vaccine get it that is most important, if people choose not to and they are infected, that was their choice and we shouldnt shutdown or limit actitivy because of them

Who panned it in May? Nobody I know of. It's the one thing in this whole mess that the Administration did extremely well on, as I've said from the day it was announced.
You have to be kidding. Sanjay Gupta and DNCNN were doubters and rooting for failure. Others were calling touting the promise of a vaccine by year end irresponsible. You know why they were doing that then, and not afraid to tout Trump's success now? It rhymes with erection.

You have to be kidding. Sanjay Gupta and DNCNN were doubters and rooting for failure. Others were calling touting the promise of a vaccine by year end irresponsible. You know why they were doing that then, and not afraid to tout Trump's success now? It rhymes with erection.

Nope. They were simply being appropriately skeptical, given that the previous fastest vaccine from discovery to deployment was 4 years. And nobody was rooting against the vaccine - in fact, everyone in those clips was saying it would be fantastic if we had a safe/effective vaccine by the end of the year, but at that time, that was an unlikely timeline to reach, as most vaccine experts acknowledged.

On a science forum I post on, I got all kinds of criticism for predicting, in April (well before that press conference in May), that I thought we'd have an EUA for a vaccine by the end of the year and I understand why, as everything had to essentially go right for that to happen - and luckily it did for the two mrRNA vaccines (even though no mRNA vaccine had ever been approved for humans before), while every other vaccine has had significant setbacks. People disagreed with me here, also, and elsewhere. Sometimes we get things right.

I've also been very complimentary of OWS since day one - my only issue was Trump shooting his mouth off about having a vaccine approved before the election, which was never going to happen and he shouldn't have been saying such things. He's the one who kept bringing up the election.

Last edited:
Nope. They were simply being appropriately skeptical, given that the previous fastest vaccine from discovery to deployment was 4 years. And nobody was rooting against the vaccine - in fact, everyone in those clips was saying it would be fantastic if we had a safe/effective vaccine by the end of the year, but at that time, that was an unlikely timeline to reach, as most vaccine experts acknowledged.

On a science forum I post on, I got all kinds of criticism for predicting, in April (well before that press conference in May), that I thought we'd have an EUA for a vaccine by the end of the year and I understand why, as everything had to essentially go right for that to happen - and luckily it did for the two mrRNA vaccines (even though no mRNA vaccine had ever been approved for humans before), while every other vaccine has had significant setbacks. People disagreed with me here, also, and elsewhere. Sometimes we get things right.

I've also been very complimentary of OWS since day one - my only issue was Trump shooting his mouth off about having a vaccine approved before the election, which was never going to happen and he shouldn't have been saying such things. He's the one who kept bringing up the election.
This is not about you, and we can appreciate it if you were more open minded. This is about the MSM, which is an arm of the Democratic party. "Appropriately skeptical." [roll]OK. No, the narrative was do nothing to help the chances of the Orange Man to get re-elected. Sweep the faults and issues of the other guy under the carpet. Coast is clear now. It's OK to say what was achieve with OWS is a tremendous success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT