ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my post from last night. Am concerned if it truly is much more infectious, but that's not really known yet, despite what the PM said. Am not concerned about "escape" from the vaccine, but everyone has to be concerned about longer term, more significant mutations, which could eventually lead to enough antigenic drift to reduce vaccine efficacy (not expected for this variant) and require a revision to the vaccine, which wouldn't be that hard to do.
Does it really surprise anyone. Those who promoted that covid19 was not a man created virus are looking more like a complete idiots ...China probably released several different strains in Asia , Europe over the past year knowing that it would be almost impossible to control and develop multiple type vaccines... Really seems strange that we make a miraculous breakthrough in producing a cure of 90-95% and we could be back at square one with a more viral disease.

Reactions: goru1869
Thanks, but don't get me wrong - I'd like to see everyone vaccinated, but realistically if 30% are infected/immune by early Feb and we can vaccinate 60% of those eligible over 16 (including almost all of the most vulnerable and health care workers) by the end of April, assuming half of those infected also get vaccines (50% overlap, which is 15% of the population roughly), that's 75% of the adult population who are then almost all immune, which is essentially herd immunity (estimates on that have been 55-80%).

And transmissions don't just start going down when we reach herd immunity - they should start dropping off swiftly by the time we vaccinate maybe 20-30% of the adult population, which should be by early February. I think we'll start to see relaxations in restrictions when transmission levels go way down and not before then, but I think some are thinking they have to be zero for that and I disagree - but I'm not in charge. However, even if transmissions drop quickly by early February, I could see being conservative and not relaxing restrictions much until maybe the end of March or April, just to be sure - but not waiting until September.

Good post.

Btw, what’s the deal with the Merck antiviral? Are they still working on it?

Reactions: Greg2020
Does it really surprise anyone. Those who promoted that covid19 was not a man created virus are looking more like a complete idiots ...China probably released several different strains in Asia , Europe over the past year knowing that it would be almost impossible to control and develop multiple type vaccines... Really seems strange that we make a miraculous breakthrough in producing a cure of 90-95% and we could be back at square one with a more viral disease.
You couldn't be more paranoid or more wrong and I'm not going to repeat all the arguments I've stated before from virology experts, since you clearly won't or don't want to listen to them.

Reactions: Greg2020
Yes they are.
Not really. They're saying to essentially stay home as much as you can to avoid contact with people you haven't been in contact with before, since contacts with people outside of one's "bubble" are the biggest risk, with risks obviously being greater indoors (family gatherings and any other indoor events) than outdoors.

Good post.

Btw, what’s the deal with the Merck antiviral? Are they still working on it?
Yes, clinical trials are ongoing with mildly ill COVID patients (the most likely to be helped by an antiviral, early in disease progression) - hoping to hear data by late January. Merck's also working hard on the anti-inflammatory antibody compound they bought from OncoImmune, which appears to work well with very sick patients.

You couldn't be more paranoid or more wrong and I'm not going to repeat all the arguments I've stated before from virology experts, since you clearly won't or don't want to listen to them.
You are not correct #’s ... one day you will come to your senses...yes viruses mutate and change but sorry I don’t trust the Chinese government and for you and others to maintain the position that it came from some animal transmission is sad... it’s not paranoia on my part ... I’m going to do what we have to in order to be safe... something tells me this vaccine program is going to be in for a rough ride...just call it layman’s intuition especially if this new strain is more severe and more easily transmitted ... something is not right in how with all the lockdowns in other countries we are seeing “ a possible new strain”...

Reactions: goru1869
You better check again my friend

Not really. They're saying to essentially stay home as much as you can to avoid contact with people you haven't been in contact with before, since contacts with people outside of one's "bubble" are the biggest risk, with risks obviously being greater indoors (family gatherings and any other indoor events) than outdoors.

Yeah except THEY don't follow their iwn rules..see Birx as latest example

Reactions: RUBOB72
Let me check with Dr.Birx or the guy who tells kids don’t worry he vaccinated Santa at the North Pole...and I’m paranoid? Lol

Yes, clinical trials are ongoing with mildly ill COVID patients (the most likely to be helped by an antiviral, early in disease progression) - hoping to hear data by late January. Merck's also working hard on the anti-inflammatory antibody compound they bought from OncoImmune, which appears to work well with very sick patients.

Oh good, was hoping we’d hear something soon for the antiviral. Feels like that one has been dragging for awhile now.

January going to be another big month for trial results. JNJ, Merck Antiviral, RLF-100, and probably a bunch more.

You are not correct #’s ... one day you will come to your senses...yes viruses mutate and change but sorry I don’t trust the Chinese government and for you and others to maintain the position that it came from some animal transmission is sad... it’s not paranoia on my part ... I’m going to do what we have to in order to be safe... something tells me this vaccine program is going to be in for a rough ride...just call it layman’s intuition especially if this new strain is more severe and more easily transmitted ... something is not right in how with all the lockdowns in other countries we are seeing “ a possible new strain”...
Wow, I didn't know we were in the presence of a world class virologist, who also happens to have irrefutable proof that SARS-CoV-2 was made in a lab and released by the Chinese right in their own backyard. Please share more.

Walter Reed doing analysis on the UK strain to determine if there is any effect on the current vaccines. Should have results back in a few days.

Not going to lie, the EU is a s***show at the moment. The whole UK deal feels a lot like Italy back in March. Market futures aren't spooked yet though which is good.
This "new" strain seems like mostly media hype and silliness. We've been warned about new mutations and reinfections for the past 9 months and it always turns out to be crap news. The vaccines will hold up fine:

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know we were in the presence of a world class virologist, who also happens to have irrefutable proof that SARS-CoV-2 was made in a lab and released by the Chinese right in their own backyard. Please share more.
Never said I was... you are the scientist my man... but actually has anyone proved that the virus came from an animal ... original theory was a bat in a so called wet market but that’s where the story ended no viable proof... not from the WHO... not from China...and why did it cease to find out conclusively ? so trust me ...I’m not paranoid but like most I will question something I disagree with ... hell I’ve questioned medical doctors from Cornell -Weil about their diagnosis with my late mom... they didn’t like it but they did respect my doubts ... people should always err on the side of safety and even I get that...this is looking more strange than in it’s first go round... I hope you are right...I do ... problem is every time we seem to have the answers we find out... we don’t...Don’t forget... you as a scientist are trained to question and then question some more... because a layman doubts something a scientist claims does not automatically infer he disagrees... it just is not adding up in many areas .

Did you speak with Lady Birx

Markets are now spooked (and would be spooked even more if not for the stimulus agreement).

Spain closed off airspace to UK flights. UK has lodged an official diplomatic complaint with Germany after placing UK citizens arriving in Germany under armed guard (full tactical gear and assault rifles). UK also has a protest in to France/EU over the closure of the Eurotunnel. Supply chain shortages of fruit and vegetables start in 2 days if the closure to freight traffic isn't lifted.

Maybe the new improved virus is a hoax by BJ in England to scare people more so they cooperate with the gov't .

Maybe the new improved virus is a hoax by BJ in England to scare people more so they cooperate with the gov't .
I hope the “ science nerds” are correct and it’s less viral even if a mutation of the original virus has occurred...I’m sure if we have concerns we can contact the Chinese Embassy or Wuhan lab for advice or better yet we could have Hunter Biden act as a liaison for pops... Daddy’s gonna need a lot of help understanding this virus and vaccine journey he is going to be in charge of under Fauci and probably Birx...

Hey #’s should AOC have taken the vaccine before frontline personnel...Nurses ...Doctors ...police... Nursing Home patients... elderly... wanted to check with a science expert.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Take this crap to the CE board please
Why because it’s not science? The entire board is political in just about every post. It’s funny how you science people don’t find this AOC picture and story valid proof of who really are the privileged. If Trumps family member did this holy hell would’ve rained down by the science posters. The proof is you have no opinion now... wait until one of your family members who really needs the vaccine is told sorry you’ll have to wait...I sincerely hope it’s not your loved ones...Phoney , hypocritical self righteous...

Reactions: Postman_1
Now there's a new strain?
The media is cultivating fear.. fear is an easy energy to feed off of.
Turn off the damn TV, turn off the news...live your life safely and responsibly, but please live it.
Better check with France , U.K. Germany and our science experts...more easily transmitted is the message... Cuomo already wants U.K. flights halted...Andrew is such a great leader...

Not in NJ. Who is telling people here we can't go out? I have been to parks, beaches, restaurants, stores, malls, plenty of people out.

Didn’t realize I specified NJ. My bad.

Yes NJ is mostly open freely. Lots of places aren’t.

Didn’t realize I specified NJ. My bad.

Yes NJ is mostly open freely. Lots of places aren’t.

While I would not agree with say closing outdoor dining in a warm state like CA, I am mostly worried about NJ considering we can't really travel much.

And thankfully NJ is doing pretty well. Wish there wasn't the 10pm thing, but otherwise it's fine.

This broad loves filming herself. She just took the life of someone at risk. At least according to her own logic. But hey, it's Insta content!
Now now let us not be too harsh on this civil servant who was only attempting to calm the fears of her constituents and 8.2 million Instagram idiots... Yo yo yo waaasup my Bronx and Queen’s peoples... this is queen Alexandra OC ... it’s all good now to get this vaccine ... the election is over and we done it... gonna get my man here to get his shot later...

While I would not agree with say closing outdoor dining in a warm state like CA, I am mostly worried about NJ considering we can't really travel much.

And thankfully NJ is doing pretty well. Wish there wasn't the 10pm thing, but otherwise it's fine.
10pm is fine for a last seating. Maybe even earlier.

But diners shouldn’t be shown the door at that time

Now now let us not be too harsh on this civil servant who was only attempting to calm the fears of her constituents and 8.2 million Instagram idiots... Yo yo yo waaasup my Bronx and Queen’s peoples... this is queen Alexandra OC ... it’s all good now to get this vaccine ... the election is over and we done it... gonna get my man here to get his shot later...
Well done !

Pretty selfish of healthy, young politicians:

Political posts like this aren't helping to keep this thread on point with regard to COVID science. I'm only calling you out because you actually might listen and maybe a few others might follow if you focused on posting scientific content to this thread, as this is in danger of becoming another CE board style thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT